Brexit Phase Two - Trade

And you are probably the only one left who actually thinks we send 350 million a week to the EU.
In 2016 we handed over £13.1bn, which equates to £251.9m a week. Without what Blair left us of our rebate our gross wedge would have been £17bn for the year (which is where £350m per week comes from - it is not technically wrong as it is the weekly contribution for 2016 before our rebate is applied. However, in practice our rebate is applied before the Chancellor gets out the national chequebook and pours our wedge into the coffers of the EU). So, if we left the EU and weren't paying anything anymore to them there is on paper a potential £350m a week saving, using 2016 figures.

EU spending on the UK in 2016 was forecast to be £4.5bn, making our net contribution £8.6bn.

However, there would have been caveats attached by the EU as to what their kind "donation" to the UK could be spent on (not to mention the losses to a bloated bureaucracy in admin costs of transferring a wedge and then being given some of it back for various projects "paid for by the EU").

Not for the first time today it could possibly be light-heartedly likened thus:

Last week I mugged a Remainer and helped myself to £252 from his pocket. He promptly burst into tears and blubbed and whined and I took pity on him and gave him a little over a third of it back. However, it was on the condition that he only spent it on the things I said he could spend it on, and each thing he bought with it had to have my picture next to it with a caption saying that it was actually me that paid for it. We both thought this such a good wheeze that we decided we would meet up at the same spot every week and repeat the exercise.

"On finally achieving his long ambition [of becoming PM in 1868], Disraeli declared, “I have climbed to the top of the greasy pole”." Plus ca change and all that!!
Mr Corbyn should beware, after all Dizzy abjured from Judaeism to become Christian , just so that the would qualify and shortly after the qualification was removed from Jews..........

I used to think there were lots of other reasons. Disenfranchised, lost communities, ignored by Westminster, sick of austerity. Immigrants eating up scarce local services and resources.

Most of this was Government policy which Europe got the blame for and carried the can.
Now that a lot of people have found out what they voted for and whatever it is, it’s not going to improve their lives one bit. It was a protest vote gone wrong. ie: they won.

Those that are still true believers in the wreckage we call brexit. Yep it’s the bus.
Nope we never do what the EU tells us do we?

Background - Eurostat

In 2016 we handed over £13.1bn, which equates to £251.9m a week. Without what Blair left us of our rebate our gross wedge would have been £17bn for the year (which is where £350m per week comes from - it is not technically wrong as it is the weekly contribution for 2016 before our rebate is applied. However, in practice our rebate is applied before the Chancellor gets out the national chequebook and pours our wedge into the coffers of the EU). So, if we left the EU and weren't paying anything anymore to them there is on paper a potential £350m a week saving, using 2016 figures.

EU spending on the UK in 2016 was forecast to be £4.5bn, making our net contribution £8.6bn.

However, there would have been caveats attached by the EU as to what their kind "donation" to the UK could be spent on (not to mention the losses to a bloated bureaucracy in admin costs of transferring a wedge and then being given some of it back for various projects "paid for by the EU").

Last week I mugged a Remainer and helped myself to £252 from his pocket. He promptly burst into tears and blubbed and whined and I took pity on him and gave him a little over a third of it back. However, it was on the condition that he only spent it on the things I said he could spend it on, and each thing he bought with it had to have my picture next to it with a caption saying that it was actually me that paid for it. We both thought this such a good wheeze that we decided we would meet up at the same spot every week and repeat the exercise.
I was really surprised that SPOTY 2018 in waiting, gave you an old for that post. Truth must hurt more than stupid.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer

It's actually worse than that. When you count in the match funding we end up having to use for 'EU' projects, that's money we would like to have spent on something else, but if we don't cough up we get even less of our own money back.

Top psychologists said many pro-EU supporters are expressing symptoms similar to chronic anxiety - and are prone to anger and despair :
View attachment 347104

Remoaners 'so upset by Brexit they've developed a psychological disorder'
You should read the origional article, Mr Mitty - it's not particularly flattering about Leave voters unless you think "Leave voters are so used to being disappointed and overlooked, that they are happy Remain Voters are feeling what it's like" (to paraphrase) is positive.

Last edited:

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
You should read the origional article, Mr Mitty - it's not particularly flattering about Leave voters unless you think "Leave voters are so used to being disappointed and overlooked, that they are happy Remain Voters are feeling what it's like" (to paraphrase) is positive.
Many, but not all leavers blame their perceived failings on the EU, and by extension, foreigners.

It's no coincidence that anti-immigrant ranting has become the most recurring feature of this and the other brexit threads.

Many, but not all leavers blame their perceived failings on the EU, and by extension, foreigners.

It's no coincidence that anti-immigrant ranting has become the most recurring feature of this and the other brexit threads.
That's what the original article Walter posted said - it said the majority of Leave voters are low class/poorly educated/poor.

Surprised he posted it with such glee. Or perhaps not.

I was really surprised that SPOTY 2018 in waiting, gave you an old for that post. Truth must hurt more than stupid.
It's a slightly expanded reprint of a post I made earlier on the Farage thread. He SABC'd that one.

As I already observed, "dumbing" a post that essentially just relays the EUs own facts and figures suggests he rates the EU as dumb, too.

'Nuff saiid, really.

Annnnnnnd in 3, 2, 1... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Edited to add: right on cue, the sad pathetic wanker. So easily triggered...

Last edited:

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
That's what the original article Walter posted said - it said the majority of Leave voters are low class/poorly educated/poor.

Surprised he posted it with such glee. Or perhaps not.
Brexit means worsening poverty for the bottom echelons of society.

Perhaps he's a masochist?

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's a slightly expanded reprint of a post I made earlier on the Farage thread. He SABC'd that one.

As I already observed, "dumbing" a post that essentially just relays the EUs own facts and figures suggests he rates the EU as dumb, too.

'Nuff saiid, really.

Annnnnnnd in 3, 2, 1... ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
You get the icons you deserve

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
The concept of 'shit-life syndrome' has been around for about a decade. Hence Trump and Brexit; looking for change, any change, even if it hurts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou...-ab..0.4.333...0j0i131k1j0i10k1.0.ouanNNP_4U0
I find it perplexing that there are hardcore brexiteers on this board who attack Trump voters on other threads as idiots, whilst failing to recognise that the drivers of brexit and Trump are both very similar.

Namely, disenfranchised swathes of the electorate voting in protest at the status quo.