Brexit Phase Two - Trade

“Friends don’t let friends drive drunk,” as the saying goes, and for similar reasons we call upon our respective governments to weigh in officially on Brexit.

Canada and New Zealand are no longer semi-autonomous dominions of the British Empire, of course – a status that, ironically, would have given them more standing and more opportunity to express their concerns – but the deep and abiding historical ties that bind them to Britain nevertheless justify what might otherwise be an inappropriate intervention in the country’s sovereign domestic affairs.

The fact is that Britain stands at the precipice of disaster. Prime Minister Theresa May has no workable plan to withdraw from the European Union that would avoid calamity.

Meanwhile, from Planet Paranoia.

EU fears its Brexit talks are being bugged by British secret agents trying to obtain sensitive files
The European Union’s Brexit negotiators fear that they are being bugged by the British secret service after the UK obtained sensitive documents “within hours” of them being presented to a meeting of EU officials last month, The Telegraph understands.

A highly placed EU source revealed the security concerns as British negotiators were set to return to Brussels on Thursday to resume Brexit talks.
I think it far more likely that someone on the EU negotiating team - frightened by the prospect of a rapidly approaching hard Brexit - is leaking the EU's position papers in an attempt to prevent that.

Wordsmith

Project fear is in full overdrive.

Apparently brexit will bestow plaugue in us now.

'Catastrophe' of Brexit no deal for NHS needs second vote, BMA says

I’m looking forward to next weeks installement of the death of first borns.
Hang on.
It says that the UK’s ability to coordinate responses to emerging threats, such as the current outbreak of measles or seasonal flu, will be seriously undermined, making it harder to stop infections spreading across borders.
Wasn't Brexit meant to bring all British ports and airports to a halt? That would surely prevent the spread of measles.

Wordsmith :?

Meanwhile, from Planet Paranoia.

EU fears its Brexit talks are being bugged by British secret agents trying to obtain sensitive files

I think it far more likely that someone on the EU negotiating team - frightened by the prospect of a rapidly approaching hard Brexit - is leaking the EU's position papers in an attempt to prevent that.

Wordsmith
Agreed.

As a general rule we make sure that stuff like that would never get into the public domain.

Maggie spent 20 years taking the flack to keep the fact we were intercepting Argentina’s communications.

Now the French spying. That’s different story and more believable.

NINE bridges in Italy have collapsed in five years. How can anyone feel safe driving there?

Are the 39 dead in Genoa paying the price of years of collusion between Italian officials and mafia? | Daily Mail Online

Well Tobia, no one does, as they say in Italy… "all Italians think they drive like Ben Hur, but they drive like the stuntmen in Ben Hur'

Compared with the 4 wheel automotive combat on Italian roads, bridges falling down are the lest of your worries. One of the more ghoulish sights along an Autostrada is the huge car scrapyards you seen atl the interchanges full of wrecked cars. Italy has some of the best trauma and orthopaedic surgeons in the world, they need them! Italy, its like driving in with the view in permanent fast forward.
Is there something up with your empathy swich?

As if by magic, Amusing blubber and Lackbag tip up.
I reckon they're sleeping together.

I doubt anyone on this board genuinely wants to see a country, or group there of, go down the tubes.*

all most want is a grown up negotiation for UK to leave the eu.

Honourable exceptions being @Baglock and @Higgs_bosun who aren't really examples of intelligence.
Self preservation should be a good enough incentive, contagion's a funny old thing. Which is why we'd fork out if we thought it would help.

Last edited:
Business type explains why he wants to Brexit; token person of colour in the background to prove he's not a racist...

I thought he made a good point about the DC deal, and then we had a referendum, effectively saying 'No' to the deal.