Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
It earned me a smashing 'Dumb' from the SPOTY 2018 frontrunner.
View attachment 347093
He did the same to a post in which I listed some documented facts from the EU about how much we paid in and got given back in 2016, with a simple analogy to put them in persepective and context.

In effect, then, he was saying that his beloved EU is - well - dumb.

So that's that settled, then.

Edited to add: oh, look - right on cue! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Last edited:
Better to attempt to refute the argument with facts and figures, etc.
And therein lies his problem: he can't construct a cogent argument. The only outlets for his frustration are button-bashing and personal/ad hom abuse.

It would indicate that he's probably only about 12-14yrs old, though, so I guess us grown-ups should perhaps make allowances.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope; I was merely pointing out as an aside that the tax credits system is another shining example of bureaucratic bullshit - just like the EU administrative machine. Why have a raft of proven-to-be error-prone civil servants taking money out of peoples wage packets then giving them some back in tax credits when it would be more efficient and less wasteful to merely adjust their tax code to allow them to keep more of their income at source...?
We can agree on that. It's an outstanding example of HMG bribing voters with their own money.

Both Labour and Tory administrations are guilty of that. Votes would be lost if either party said "we're just returning some of your own taxes to you in the form of tax credits".

Wordsmith

It's him again . . .

Fashion MILLIONAIRE makes MASSIVE donation to remain campaign!

"
One of the co-founders of the fashion label Superdry has donated £1m to the campaign for another EU referendum.

Multi-millionaire Julian Dunkerton said he was backing the People’s Vote campaign because “we have a genuine chance to turn this around”.

The People’s Vote, a cross-party group including some Labour and Lib Dem MPs, want a vote on the final Brexit deal. The government has ruled out another referendum after Britain voted to leave the EU in June 2016.

Dunkerton said he believes his brand, which he left earlier this year, “would never have become the global success that it did” if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier. His donation which is the largest they have received will go towards funding opinion polls".

Published by: David Clew

It's him again . . .

"
One of the co-founders of the fashion label Superdry has donated £1m to the campaign for another EU referendum.

Multi-millionaire Julian Dunkerton said he was backing the People’s Vote campaign because “we have a genuine chance to turn this around”.

The People’s Vote, a cross-party group including some Labour and Lib Dem MPs, want a vote on the final Brexit deal. The government has ruled out another referendum after Britain voted to leave the EU in June 2016.

Dunkerton said he believes his brand, which he left earlier this year, “would never have become the global success that it did” if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier. His donation which is the largest they have received will go towards funding opinion polls".

Did he explain how being in the EU helped a branding excercise?

Or do we just need to take it at face value?

Dunkerton said he believes his brand, which he left earlier this year, “would never have become the global success that it did” if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier.
What, a mere five years after we actually joined the EU, he means...?

Found on the Inter-Web . . .

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It's him again . . .

"His donation which is the largest they have received will go towards funding opinion polls".
Someone better tell him that the only opinion poll that counted was held in June 2016, the UK electorate voted to leave by 52% to 48% - the majority being 1.25 million votes.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, our hard working MP's want a pay rise.

Exclusive: MPs demand bigger expenses budget to cope with additional workload 'created by Brexit'
MPs are demanding a larger expenses budget because they claim Brexit is adding to their "workloads", the official watchdog has revealed. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) disclosed that MPs have been lobbying for an increase in the amount they spend on employing staff.

The revelation led to warnings that the system is "open to abuse" as more than 150 MPs employ their wives, husbands and other "connected parties" as staff.
As they'll not be passing different amounts of legislation - just more of Brexit focused legislation - may I be the first to say I think they're a lot of vaginas?

Wordsmith

It's him again . . .

"One of the co-founders of the fashion label Superdry has donated £1m to the campaign for another EU referendum.

Well he's not going to be happy if BREXIT stops him using EU tax write offs to get the tax[payer to pay for his private jet, is he?

Just fooled by promises on a bus.blatant lies and whatever they think we’ll fall for.
did anybody actually see the bus?

I do know that historical support for the EU has never been particularly strong in the U.K., hence the reasons why remainer in chief Tony Blair failed to deliver a referendum that he promised.

Do you think a bus that post dates the majority of the populations eurosceptism is the real factor why the majority of the electorate decided to vote leave? Or do you think there were other reasons?

That's for him to know and you to find out. Unfortunately our society doesn't work like that. ISTR that when Pitt the Younger was Lampooned in his time and latterly by Blackadder, he never the less affected our Foreign policy, some would say for the better. It is the concept of Politics and empire building that is the result that is lamentable. Those in a position to climb bandwagons do. If those Bandwagons chime with electorate so much the better.
"On finally achieving his long ambition [of becoming PM in 1868], Disraeli declared, “I have climbed to the top of the greasy pole”." Plus ca change and all that!!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Uh
Christ, you're sounding bitter now; trotting out the quotes like exbleep, who thinks the EU is democratic.

Look, Leave monopolised 'patriotism' and Remain monopolised "Brexiteers are old, stupid, and racist".

It's fine; I'm okay with that, probably because it annoyed a lot of Brexiteers and they're not going to change their minds after that.

And I'll leave you with a quote:

"The real question is, at the end of the day, do we want to run our country? Are we proud of who we are? Are we happy to be just a star on somebody else's flag, or do we want to be an independent nation?"

N Farage
Farage. I’m sure he can’t believe his luck, fooling some of the people all of the time.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
did anybody actually see the bus?

I do know that historical support for the EU has never been particularly strong in the U.K., hence the reasons why remainer in chief Tony Blair failed to deliver a referendum that he promised.

Do you think a bus that post dates the majority of the populations eurosceptism is the real factor why the majority of the electorate decided to vote leave? Or do you think there were other reasons?
I used to think there were lots of other reasons. Disenfranchised, lost communities, ignored by Westminster, sick of austerity. Immigrants eating up scarce local services and resources.

Most of this was Government policy which Europe got the blame for and carried the can.
Now that a lot of people have found out what they voted for and whatever it is, it’s not going to improve their lives one bit. It was a protest vote gone wrong. ie: they won.

Those that are still true believers in the wreckage we call brexit. Yep it’s the bus.

I used to think there were lots of other reasons. Disenfranchised, lost communities, ignored by Westminster, sick of austerity. Immigrants eating up scarce local services and resources.

Most of this was Government policy which Europe got the blame for and carried the can.
Now that a lot of people have found out what they voted for and whatever it is, it’s not going to improve their lives one bit. It was a protest vote gone wrong. ie: they won.

Those that are still true believers in the wreckage we call brexit. Yep it’s the bus.
Have you tried ‘an inherent distrust of the european experiment?’

It shouldn’t come as a surprise. We’ve never been particularly pro EU.

Polling history: 40 years of British views on 'in or out' of Europe

Stop over analysing and projecting your own prejudices on the issue.

Brexit? We don't like the EU. It REALLY is as simple as that.

Only in Facebook posts shared with me by hysterical Remainers
ISTR the message was £350million ‘could’ be spent on the NHS.

That’s in line with the fact that the leave campaign wasn’t headed by a government that could implement policy, unlike the remain campaign that was backed by a PM and the civil service......who failed to do any contingency planning in the event of not getting the result they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.