Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Seasonal worker I'm afraid. She's just about finished in LA, then she flies to the east coast to spend a month with a friend (a black family in Ohio, which should be interesting for her), before we get her back. :-(

That's what I suspected, so comparing the ability to be a seasonal worker in the US, to say, taking up a graduate position in Berlin isn't really the same in my opinion.

That's what I suspected, so comparing the ability to be a seasonal worker in the US, to say, taking up a graduate position in Berlin isn't really the same in my opinion.
The numbers using Erasmus compared to those who don't, still doesn't make free movment, and all the social costs that come with it, worthwhile.

Maybe 1% of students may use it (probably a fraction of that), compared to all students eventually needing a job, with an actual pay rise, and an affordable home.

Whilst it may sound like a useful scheme, on balance, no.

I'll be fine. EU companies and MS have already been making moves to allow skilled Brits to follow the work out of the UK.
Likewise the U.K. will continue to make moves to allow skilled and unskilled EU people work in the U.K.

Do you still think we’re shutting Dover, Heathrow and the Chunnel down?

The numbers using Erasmus compared to those who don't, still doesn't make free movment, and all the social costs that come with it, worthwhile.

Maybe 1% of students may use it (probably a fraction of that), compared to all students eventually needing a job, with an actual pay rise, and an affordable home.

I'm not talking about Erasmus now, I'm talking also having the ability to live and work abroad. Currently she has the ability to move and work in one of 27 EU countries.

Also it's interesting how Brussels - which also has a high level of immigration doesn't have the same problems with housing.

I live in a very middle class area (I can see the British Embassy from my lounge window) and pay 825 euros a month for a furnished, 85 square meter apartment. Most of the local people I know also own their own homes.

I think people are going to be very upset when they see our woes are not cured on leaving the EU.

Erasmus is a load of pump. You can only go abroad for one year.

if you're serious about going abroad just do what my (remain supporting) sister did.

get your BA (Hons), work hard, save harder, apply to a Dutch uni. Study Masters. Apply to German uni. Study post Masters.

the eu is just for lazy people.

Erasmus is a load of pump. You can only go abroad for one year.

if you're serious about going abroad just do what my (remain supporting) sister did.

get your BA (Hons), work hard, save harder, apply to a Dutch uni. Study Masters. Apply to German uni. Study post Masters.

the eu is just for lazy people.
How do you know? The OU doesn't offer Erasmus. You have no experience of higher education that is meant to prepare one for the workplace.

The stats also show people who spend time abroad to study/work earn more than those who don't. And when we have left, it will be prohibitively expensive for normal people to do as you suggest anyway.

You're talking pump as you always do. I feel sorry for the people who have you as their SNCO.

Last edited:
There's something deeply satisfying about watching 'The Sheriff is Coming', foreigners getting their arse handed to them.
Not Brexit trade but neither is Erasmus.