Brexit Phase Two - Trade

True.

Many years ago, machine shop buys 3 CNC ;lathes with automatic bar feeders and swarf conveyors, decides not to buy the bar feeders and swarf conveyors.

Why?

Bean counters worked out it was cheaper over the life of the contract, (2 years) to employ labourers on minimum wage to manhandle the bars into the feed way and rake out the swarf.

Unsurprisingly, it went bust.

Cheap labour - driving underinvestment

True.

Many years ago, machine shop buys 3 CNC ;lathes with automatic bar feeders and swarf conveyors, decides not to buy the bar feeders and swarf conveyors.

Why?

Bean counters worked out it was cheaper over the life of the contract, (2 years) to employ labourers on minimum wage to manhandle the bars into the feed way and rake out the swarf.

Unsurprisingly, it went bust.

Cheap labour - driving underinvestment

You've had so many different careers, it's almost admirable.

What percentage of our trade was with the EU last year?
No-one answering?
The oft quoted (pinched from Boris) bit about falling to 43% is wrong as that is for exports only. The total amount of trade between UK and the EU last year was actually 49% including exports and imports.
If you take the trade UK does with countries that have trade agreements made by the EU then the total value of trade is nearer 60%.
If we can make a deal with the EU then the 49% of trade will be the same but unless that deal includes retaining the markets that the EU has preferential trade with then 12% of all trade will be lost until further agreements can be made.
The WTO has already said that those agreements cannot just be "cut and pasted" across and UK would have to start again.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Just to get it off my chest, I thought I would share with you my (unanswered!) letter that I wrote to my MP after Chequers:

I was born a Tory and I'll die a Tory but for some time now I have not had a proper Conservative Party to vote for. Major's closet wetness was bad enough but the rot really set in when Cameron prioritised buying Mercedes for foreign dictators over proper support for Defence (the manpower for which is still not properly funded).

Now we have the disgraceful and duplicit public presentation of a pseudo Brexit, which the small print shows is not a Brexit at all, which was fixed with Germany before even the Cabinet got a look at it. Please get it into your Social Democrat leader's head that support for her (and your) party still comes largely from people with a simple desire to get our sovereignty back - our island, our rules - not to continue indefinitely chained to the rotting undemocratic corpse of the EU, paying over the odds for our food and with our own money being used, for instance, to give away our manufacturing (like the Ford Transit site to Turkey), and with our Treasury being plundered for projects in which we have no say.

I could burden you with several more pages of gripes including our spineless failure to deport foreign criminals but this will have to do for now.

Mrs S also wrote to him in more temperate terms and received a wishy washy boiler plate reply which contained a gem to the effect that it isn't over yet and Chequers is a 'basis for further negotiations', which to me means further supine capitulation.

Really? You have your fingers in your ears yet again?
The pound has dropped significantly. Far more than your "overvalued" mantra.
Imports have become more expensive which has significantly increased inflation in UK in case you haven't noticed. And if you haven't then you really are ignoring the truth.
UK has lost, yes lost, some 2% of predicted growth. You harp on about the UK GDP being so good, which it bloody well isn't, when it could have been so much better. That 2% results in each family being £900 a year worse off than before the British public had a brain fart.
That 2% also means the economy is around £40 bn lower that it should have been which rather wipes out the amount the UK was paying the EU. Because of this the loss of tax revenue is estimated at some £15 billion or around £300 million a week (getting close to your famous bus).
And we haven't even bloody well left yet!
Just keep ignoring reality and making things up. Then have a look around and see what has actually happened.

(Figures from BoE, Statistica and UK Business Insider).
Again: FUD and bollox, see :Reality check: How big is the UK's deficit and debt? for the KISS answer.

"For the financial year to the end of March 2017, the deficit was £52bn or 2.6% of GDP."

Osborne’s legacy: What the austerity chancellor leaves behind

Remind me again: when are the cuts made by Osborne supposed to really kick in? 2020, by any chance? What does that mean for GDP, I wonder?

You could spare a thought for eagle eyed seekers of racism here. From the 60s onwards productivity has always been a British bugbear. Not as efficient as our German friends but we’ve been outdone in the productivity stakes by the French and equalled by the Italians.

Even our betters agree with it
Tory MPs criticise 'idle workers'

not that our roads fall down, I wonder what Labour has to say about that?