Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Great idea! but lets start with the costs of the EU tentacles on this country first eg wage suppression, money flight out of the country, impact on social services/NHS/schools, EU contract rules which insist on advertising contracts across Europe at vast expense and damage to UK industries
- no matter what you think, membership of the EU is not free and comes with downsides that are often not obvious unless you get involved in the nitty gritty
- for UK Govt organisations (who obey every EU rule, unlike the French and Germans!)contracting is particularly problematic, time consuming and expensive and often results in us contracting with an EU company subsidised by their own govt at the expense of our own UK company's/people
- on the radio yesterday, they were discussing the recent fact that due to a shortfall of cheap EU labour, UK employers are now struggling to recruit and having to pay more. That is fantastic news but only the start! we must re-org the ways businesses do work (away from their addiction to cheap EU workers to sustainable UK workers and to offering career development etc) and in particular sort out the disastrous Tony Blair inspired education 'industry' to reduce the amount of people going to uni and switch more of themto apprenticeships/technical colleges.
An example yesterday was a tree surgeon who phoned in saying that for nigh on 20 years UK based workers in that industry couldn't compete with the far cheaper Eastern Europeans. He said that with a reduction in available labour he will be able to get paid more and importantly take on UK workers - in his words for 'a proper wage for a proper days work'. These are the sort of roles that non-academic kids could do very well in.
And for those hard core remainers who will blame all of this on Brexit, employers/recruiters from the continent phoned in to explain that in many Eastern European countries like Rumania, the local wages have significantly jumped in recent times, up to the point where workers no longer benefit as much from being in the UK (cost of living) also, one Software programming guy in Spain was saying that US company's like Google/Facebook and the like were offering IT staff in his words 'silly money' way over market rates and stealing the work force away (US economy has exploded!)
The lesson we MUST learn is that the world does not stand still whilst our internal Brexit debate is going on. We must become more confident and adventurous and believe more in our people and industries. We are long past the point of resistance at any cost because we are now in a situation that the remainers are actually actively pushing us towards the very 'bad deal' and 'cliff edge' they have been complaining about since day one
Wow, that's a rant. I must try harder.

Wage suppression. The entire public services sector have been getting below inflation payrises for years. Only this year has this been lifted.
Money flight, is the European community's fault that so much money goes regularly to non eu countries. Pakistan, India Africa..
We're still getting immigrants from non European countries. Expect a load of Chinese and Indians.

Will our health, education and social services be expanded to cope with that. Europe gets the knee jerk response for everything yet people keep looking in the wrong direction.

The agreeing with EU rules has more to do with political will, we used that as an excuse not to intervene to save jobs and industries, despite the fact that the Eu would have behaved differently and France and Germany often did. As for competing with Europe subsidised bids, again that's political will.

If the eu is so bad and invasive, why are we shoehorning 40 years of Europelaws on to our statute books.

That's our government refusing to intervene. . That's not europes fault. Europe wanted to do something on Chinese Steele dumping. We stopped that.

Our education/ uni set up. That's got nothing to do with Europe. Our lack of ability to train apprentices, that's got nothing to do with Europe either. That's down to people not wishing to work and a serious difficulty in getting insurance for small business apprentices. It's not europes fault.

The fact that we've wasted two years on brexit, , our government has done little else. Seems incapable of doing anything else. Europe and the rest of the world is moving on.

It's gone from bewilderment to exasperation, if we wish to become an irrelevance with little or no input or irrelevance of any import.
That's one thing brexit has succeeded in ensuring.

Confident and adventurous, with what? A pointlessly stupid idea which benefits no one except a few individuals.
And nobody wonders why.

I'm sure hedge fund managers and disaster capitalists will be grateful and thank us for our sacrifice.

It's called contingency planning and is a standard procedure. Had Call Me Dave done his job correctly, they would have gamed several outcomes for the Brexit negotiations. They should then have provided an outline plan for each contingency.

Tell me - have you ever managed anything? Your responses indicate minimal management skills.

Wordsmith
Blame blame blame....do you think a few months contingency planning early in 2016 would have made much of a difference today, 2 1/2 years on?
If it was a good idea it would have worked regardless. If it was a shit idea, things would be shit regardless.

As for your comment - I guess my minimal management skills are what forced me out of the UK to toil in shitholes like Geneva and Singapore - how could I compete with a talent pool full of people like you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More bad news.
U.K. Unemployment Falls to New 43-Year Low But Pay Growth Slows - Bloomberghttps://apple.news/AQAz59UPFTTyfkffF2mcBew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for your comment - I guess my minimal management skills are what forced me out of the UK to toil in shitholes like Geneva and Singapore - how could I compete with a talent pool full of people like you?

So 'talented' you have to hang around telling everyone on the inter webs how clever you are from your guided cage?

Rather easier to remove the egg from the omelette back then

True.

Feel free to go out and find out if there are Indians who regret independence?

Or maybe somebody from an eastern bloc country harking back to the glory days of the Soviet Union. That was a bit of hassle to get out of that one.

It is a big deal if the Brexit deal states that we have no right to remove the agreed portions of EU law after Brexit.

Which is what May appeared prepared to sign up to - together with leaving the ECJ to rule on the interpretation of those laws..

Wordsmith
That would be a big deal. She hasn't got a hope of getting that through. I thought no parliament could bind the next?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If it was a good idea it would have worked regardless. If it was a shit idea, things would be shit regardless.
If the EU is such a great idea, why has the UK voteds to leave, the Italian government opposed to much of the direction of the EU, Poland on the naughty step (with Hungary poised to follow), and anti-EU movements growing in strength in many EU member states and widespread concerns present about the democratic deficit in the EU.

Maybe it's the EU that's a sh*t idea....

Please feel free to pose a detailed explanation of the benefits of EU membership. Much like the detailed explanations I often post.

Wordsmith

More ranting about wage depression in the UK due to EU workers.

How can brexiteers be both champions of all out competitive free market economics, yet at the same time wanting to shut the door to foreign labour.

These two positions are contradictory, much like a lot of brexiteer rhetoric.

You can't be champion of free trade whilst running a protectionist labour market
Errr... you need to rethink that one again.

Free trade is about goods not people. Free trade in "people" was made illegal in the UK and the British Empire a long, long time ago.

Blame blame blame....do you think a few months contingency planning early in 2016 would have made much of a difference today, 2 1/2 years on?

Yes.

As Princess Irulan states in Dune by Frank Herbert.

A beginning is a very delicate time