Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting, especially the bottom bit...

View attachment 345634

I'm wondering if a proper Brexit would cause that slowdown and bring the eurozone vulnerability to the fore?

That could be some good negotiating power right there.
Slowcoach. Wordsmiths been predicting that very thing sometime between 2020 and the second coming.
I have to say I admire your optimism. Now if you'd care to explain a proper brexit. I'd be grateful.

But you'll probably be declared a splitter and get abused by real brexiters

Slowcoach. Wordsmiths been predicting that very thing sometime between 2020 and the second coming.
I have to say I admire your optimism. Now if you'd care to explain a proper brexit. I'd be grateful.

But you'll probably be declared a splitter and get abused by real brexiters
Well the Guardian agrees with Wordsmith then.

As for what a proper Brexit is, you know, 'the will of the peeple'; a good old hard Brexit.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you a little disappointed The economy isn’t in recession?
Why would I be. I happen to live in one of the most disadvantaged areas of the U.K. Why would I wish it any further harm.
I take it that's the extent of your argument. I'd say I'm sorry for you, but it wouldn't be true. You knowing what you were voting for.
Could you not have voted for something which wasn't going to make us a laughing stock?

Turkey is going to join before Albania I think
I think Turkey might be a little preoccupied at the moment.

Trump takes aim at Turkey as lira falls
US President Donald Trump has doubled US tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminium, as the precipitous fall of the Turkish lira accelerates. In a tweet, Mr Trump said the currency was weak against "our very strong dollar", adding that "US relations with Turkey are not good at this time". Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a speech that the drop was part of a "campaign" led by foreign powers.
As things stand, their financial system is only a week or two away from collapse.

Wordsmith

unpossible. RemaIN says it was all about racism and every immigrant brings cultural, economic and intellectual enrichment to our broken country.
You get more like manomanynames with every post. That isn't a compliment BTW.

April 2019. Somewhere in Europe.
It uses three scenes shot in a gazillion different perspectives and is crap so in that sense you're spot on.

More this bit.
The euro also fell 0.5 percent to trade at $1.146 in the early hours of Friday. This followed a report by the Financial Times that Spain's BBVA, Italy's UniCredit, and France's BNP Paribas could be particularly impacted by the ongoing depreciation of the lira. The ECB declined to comment on the story.
If the Turkish economy goes splat, the splat, those banks might need a bail out. Only, after changes to the EU banking regulations, the initial hit will be taken by the investors. The regulation is basically sensible, meant to stop investors piling money into financial risk institutions.

But the law of unintended consequences could come into effect. If investors are hit hard in the aftermath of a Turkish crash, European banks will find it difficult to raise capital.

One of the many benefits of Brexit will be the ability to watch the impact of EU regulations from the sidelines, decide if they're beneficial or not and - if necessary - modify UK banking regulations to avoid the worst pitfalls of the European ones.

The EU won't have that luxury as changes to the banking regulations will have to be agreed by all 27 member states - a long and tedious process. And unlike the UK - who can tailor its regulation to suit the UK alone - the EU regulations will have to be one size fits all.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470