Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we get @One_of_the_strange along shortly to say that anything above second gear needs EU sign off?
No but you'll claim that the EU has used gears to steal UK jobs and when asked for a link will reply Blair....then start telling me about stuff I've been involved with in a "look a pigeon!!" way and refuse to accept anything posted.

Another day. Another twitter from somebody we've never Heard of
Again, what did you claim to do? It certainly didn't involve finding stuff out.

I think they have been veey sucessful in giving zero compromise at all. Their problem is that screws the EU27 way more than us. As it stands there is nothing that they can point to and say 'hey we tried to avoid no deal'.
Sure...

It’s intersting. I think the risk of No Deal is certainly some way off. Despite media hype, negotiations still continue. All TM has to do is convince people that the backstop option for NI can be safely signed up to, because it should never be used.

Once the WA is finalised, the pressure is off a bit and then the eternal arguments over trade could actually being in earnest. ^^
It's a shame there isn't a ;-) voting button really.

If I have read that correctly the NI backstop is discounted and the outcomes given on page 31 of 32 shows what the UK are offering/ asking - and quite reasonable they are too.

Perhaps I missed the backstop provisions which will be Ireland based only so would be grateful if you would point them out to me. Just a page number(s) would do.
I think that you're forgetting the lovely Arlene A-Y.

Who will not allow NI to be treated any differently from the rest of the UK.....apart from abortion...and errrrr...give us the money...

If I have read that correctly the NI backstop is discounted and the outcomes given on page 31 of 32 shows what the UK are offering/ asking - and quite reasonable they are too.

Perhaps I missed the backstop provisions which will be Ireland based only so would be grateful if you would point them out to me. Just a page number(s) would do.
Slide 17

The Withdrawal Agreement will still need to include a Northern Ireland Protocol, outlining how the UK will meet the commitments made in the Joint Report, but because of the proposal set out the regulatory elements of it will not need to come into effect.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
There will be no meaningful response from the EU.
  1. It doesn't do fast decision making.
  2. The interests of the 27 member states are so diverse that they won't be able to agree common ground.
  3. Trump doesn't do compromise. If the EU try counter-tariffs, Trump will just increase his.
Trump is essentially taking aim at two trading blocs that use unfair tariffs. The Chinese subsidise their exports. The Trump tariffs are going to put a big dent in those Chinese exports. The EU single market is a protectionist one that relies on high tariffs to protect inefficient domestic producers. Trump is putting this own tariffs in place until fairer trading practices emerge.

The UK has traditionally been a free trade country. We may be able to agree a mutually beneficial trade deal with the US, while the EU and US have a spat.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Slide 17

The Withdrawal Agreement will still need to include a Northern Ireland Protocol, outlining how the UK will meet the commitments made in the Joint Report, but because of the proposal set out the regulatory elements of it will not need to come into effect.
A sentence which turns in on itself but leads one, ultimately to Page 31 where the last part of that sentence comes into play.

It is saying "Yes we can have a NI protocol if you really really want one but actually we won't need it".

It is also clear that anything done for NI will be joint so none of this Barnier saying it is all up to the UK.

So in short, no backstop but it does get a passing mention.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Slide 17

If they don't need to come into effect - why are they in the agreement?

Wordsmith

Slide 17

However, the Chequers paper....option 1 & 2 (+111) is neither viable or will be signed off by either party, parliament or Brussels.

Watched Jeremy Hunts German speech today, who blinks first?

EU or HMG....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A sentence which turns in on itself but leads one, ultimately to Page 31 where the last part of that sentence comes into play.

It is saying "Yes we can have a NI protocol if you really really want one but actually we won't need it".

It is also clear that anything done for NI will be joint so none of this Barnier saying it is all up to the UK.

So in short, no backstop but it does get a passing mention.
If that’s what you want to believe, knock yourself out =-D

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Barnier and Juncker banked on being able to effectively bully May into signing an agreement. They didn't bank on May being forced into a u-turn because of a major rebellion in her own party. Now they've got tough talk coming out of the UK, no immediate prospect of a deal and increasingly worried member states.

I'd say Barnier and Junker are as deep in the political smeg as May.

Wordsmith
Have you watched any of the negotiating at all?
DExEU announce what's they're after. EU says no, explains why they said no. TM bales them out by going personally and explaining what she wants.
She's seen off two opponents. Seems to be well regarded in Europe. Certainly better than Davis and if Raab carries on in the same vein. He will probably do just as well.

There seems no panic or change of tack from Barnier. He doesn't seem to to be to be worried, his team don't seem to be changing with any regularity. He doesn't look like a man under pressure at all.

He doesn't seem to have any trouble bringing 27 member states with him. The Tories can't even convince 27 people.

Where does this fiction of increasingly worried member states come from. If you ever get something right right it's going to be written off as a fluke.
(There's no place like home, you do realise although the Wizrd of O was a book and a movie it may not have been real)

However, the Chequers paper....option 1 & 2 (+111) is neither viable or will be signed off by either party, parliament or Brussels.

Watched Jeremy Hunts German speech today, who blinks first?

EU or HMG....

None of which matters right now. The WA is the key, the rest can be completed in slower time.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
There will be no meaningful response from the EU.
  1. It doesn't do fast decision making.
  2. The interests of the 27 member states are so diverse that they won't be able to agree common ground.
  3. Trump doesn't do compromise. If the EU try counter-tariffs, Trump will just increase his.
Trump is essentially taking aim at two trading blocs that use unfair tariffs. The Chinese subsidise their exports. The Trump tariffs are going to put a big dent in those Chinese exports. The EU single market is a protectionist one that relies on high tariffs to protect inefficient domestic producers. Trump is putting this own tariffs in place until fairer trading practices emerge.

The UK has traditionally been a free trade country. We may be able to agree a mutually beneficial trade deal with the US, while the EU and US have a spat.

Wordsmith
Cough'Bullshit'Cough.

None of which matters right now. The WA is the key, the rest can be completed in slower time.
In the current circumstances that’s a tad optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads