Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Sourbery really is barking....

'Since the referendum, the forces of darkness have taken over and they have continued to take over and this week if there was ever any doubt who was running this government it was quashed.'

The ‘Forces of Darkness’?

Not ignored at all. There are other hubs though Schipol, CDG and Frankfurt amongst others. Operators know that this time next year those three will still be part of both the intra EU and EU/US open skies agreements. They know under what regulatory regime those nations will be operating under.

In addition UK airports have historically had some of the highest charges in Europe.

Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye said:​

“Surging trade, more domestic connections and more long-haul growth are the bedrock of the UK’s economy. According to John, today’s figures put Britain in a strong position as the Government begins Brexit negotiations and underline the unique role Heathrow plays as the nation’s global gateway.​
Our expansion plans will give Britain the tools to do even better. We’ll double our domestic connections and add up to 40 new long-haul trading links, making the UK the best connected country on earth”.​

Definitely business as usual in the defence sector.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
And power generation. There’s been a few ups and downs but they’re normal market related.

As I say, we’ve gone through a non related brexit down turn. Gone the voluntary redundancy route and lost a lot of poles who have been here for 5 plus years. They’ve taken the VR and gone back to Poland. Not because they were scared of brexit, but because we have them 3 months wages minimum severance pay and wage rates have increased in Poland so they wanted to go back any way. They were only over here to make some money and had no intention of staying. Some really great guys and I wish them and all of their families the best in future.

Equally, a lot of Poles have stayed as they see the U.K. as their home now and half bought houses and settled their kids. Equally great guys.

I wouldn’t say it’s left us with a skills shortage as most of them were doing semi skilled jobs. It’s more of an experience gap than a skills gap. But it’s also realised on the senior management team that we’ve been chucking cheap labour at problems rather than addr swing the core problems. Mainly down to some seriously piss poor homegrown management.

End result, new technology is being invested in to increase productivity, we’re beginning to pay our guys on the shop floor more money as we’re realising the importance of human capital versus cheap migrant labour and we’re actually gaining market share against our competitors.

Brexit hasn’t even been mentioned. Partly because we operate globally, so we realise as a company that exporting outside of the EU isn’t as scary as people think. The additional costs for us is an entire 1 page of A4 paper form for customs that takes the grand total of 2 minutes to fill in per shipment.

There’s onviously knock on impacts to the surrounding area. Rents have had to be lowered a bit on residential properties meaning it’s a bit easier for those who haven’t been able to afford to save up for a home being able to start saving for their first homes.

“Surging trade, more domestic connections and more long-haul growth are the bedrock of the UK’s economy. According to John, today’s figures put Britain in a strong position as the Government begins Brexit negotiations and underline the unique role Heathrow plays as the nation’s global gateway.​
Our expansion plans will give Britain the tools to do even better. We’ll double our domestic connections and add up to 40 new long-haul trading links, making the UK the best connected country on earth”.​
BoJo's going to stop expansion by lying down in front of the bulldozers. It muse be true, he said so.

And power generation. There’s been a few ups and downs but they’re normal market related.

As I say, we’ve gone through a non related brexit down turn. Gone the voluntary redundancy route and lost a lot of poles who have been here for 5 plus years. They’ve taken the VR and gone back to Poland. Not because they were scared of brexit, but because we have them 3 months wages minimum severance pay and wage rates have increased in Poland so they wanted to go back any way. They were only over here to make some money and had no intention of staying. Some really great guys and I wish them and all of their families the best in future.

Equally, a lot of Poles have stayed as they see the U.K. as their home now and half bought houses and settled their kids. Equally great guys.

I wouldn’t say it’s left us with a skills shortage as most of them were doing semi skilled jobs. It’s more of an experience gap than a skills gap. But it’s also realised on the senior management team that we’ve been chucking cheap labour at problems rather than addr swing the core problems. Mainly down to some seriously piss poor homegrown management.

End result, new technology is being invested in to increase productivity, we’re beginning to pay our guys on the shop floor more money as we’re realising the importance of human capital versus cheap migrant labour and we’re actually gaining market share against our competitors.

Brexit hasn’t even been mentioned. Partly because we operate globally, so we realise as a company that exporting outside of the EU isn’t as scary as people think. The additional costs for us is an entire 1 page of A4 paper form for customs that takes the grand total of 2 minutes to fill in per shipment.

There’s onviously knock on impacts to the surrounding area. Rents have had to be lowered a bit on residential properties meaning it’s a bit easier for those who haven’t been able to afford to save up for a home being able to start saving for their first homes.
Its never been scary to export outside the EU but if it's 50% or more of your business it'll be bloody stupid to lose it.

He also said "F*ck business", allegedly.
He's a ****. I may have said so pre referendum before he switched side, have always thought it. He's entertaining mind.

Another twitter.

But it’ll stop us sending politicians to Brussels.

All three of the examples you’ve given have seen a significant fall in support for joining the EU since they joined the EEA.

You seem to be under the impression that migration was a deciding issue for many to vote leave. If you believe that, then feel free to carry on believing that.

Tangent but I'm sure Assange wouldn't sell out Trump/Farage at the drop of a hat, he has values...

Another twitter.

But it’ll stop us sending politicians to Brussels.

All three of the examples you’ve given have seen a significant fall in support for joining the EU since they joined the EEA.

You seem to be under the impression that migration was a deciding issue for many to vote leave. If you believe that, then feel free to carry on believing that.
You seem to be ignoring the content again Andy. Why do you think you do that so much?

Its never been scary to export outside the EU but if it's 50% or more of your business it'll be bloody stupid to lose it.
It’s actually 43% of exports go to the EU and that percentage has been in long term decline for some time.

Everything you might want to know about the UK's trade with the EU

nothings being lost. We’ll still be trading with the EU. The remain camp seem to be a meet. The impression that leaving the EU means severing all links. It doesn’t. We’ll still trade and still be friends.

Got the link to where he says that?
I bet it was said when he took over and before the Brexit referendum when he was demanding a third runway.

Not ignored at all. There are other hubs though Schipol, CDG and Frankfurt amongst others. Operators know that this time next year those three will still be part of both the intra EU and EU/US open skies agreements. They know under what regulatory regime those nations will be operating under.

In addition UK airports have historically had some of the highest charges in Europe.

I expect Shannon will be ramping up as a major hub too. There is a LOT of UK business moving from UK to Eire.... Rees Mog for one.

Last edited:
You seem to be ignoring the content again Andy. Why do you think you do that so much?
I’m not really ignoring content. Free movement of people was never an issue for me. Although I do understand that if I’m lower down the social ladder then reduced access to services might be a contributing factor.

Support for remaining in the EEC/EU has been a lot lower in the U.K Since before the U.K. signed up for free movement of people.

Well, it's certainly more than a year old, possibly as early as Oct 2016 (can't get behind the Times paywall).

Here's why Heathrow reckons it's the "bedrock of the UK economy"
but you can read as far as THIS link by Heathrow's owner John Holland Kaye.... :)

Heathrow owner Ferrovial puts the brakes on UK investment because of Brexit uncertainty

They also assume, it seems, that HMG would not be stupid eought to leave the ECJa dn therefore EASA as like the CAA they don't see a plan B. Thanks for flagging that Andy. You REALLY don't understand the UK aviation market.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470