Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Will Holly be there?

I think she is absolutely wonderful. Total airhead but seems a really nice person. Anyone who marries her will have their hands full dealing with the gaps in her education, knowledge and common sense, but I bet they will have a great life together! :cool:

I noted two things on the news today.
1. Ryan air has rejected a call from the CAA (Presumably the one covered by the the EU one, that we can't control) over passenger air compensation for strike action intended. Ryan air has said it wont comply with that as the EU lets it off the hook. This could get good if Ryanair gets grounded here for non compliance- presumably of rules imposed under the EU.
2 We have no trade deal with America, we still trade. The EU having denuded us of the major competition we had is now content to let motoring firms call the shots. Glad I don't have to decide to buy a new car:-D. I've got two and they're both Rover. win win

I think she is absolutely wonderful. Total airhead but seems a really nice person. Anyone who marries her will have their hands full dealing with the gaps in her education, knowledge and common sense, but I bet they will have a great life together! :cool:
Daddy’s trust fund will come in helpful though and I bet she’s a beast in the sack.

Oh when the right Banker comes along...........she'll be all establishment

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Obviously. Members get better a better deal than non-members.
It has been the case for every club or membership organisation since they were first created.

The problem the UK has on Brexit as pointed out by Major this morning is that when the UK leaves the EU the UK also leaves 50 trade deals the EU has.
That is a very simplistic view.

What if membership of the club results in levels of taxation (corporation tax, VAT etc) and regulation that burden UK business and render them less competitive on the world stage.?

What if the club is planning further political and financial integration that would require you sign over power of attorney over some of your affairs (in plain language requiring Westminster to transfer power to Brussels).

What is the financial system used by the club (the euro) has serious structural flaws and will result in a full or partial failure in the next recession?

What if the club is a protectionist organisation that is going to result in a trade war with the US with Trump imposing retaliatory tariffs for the protectionist tariffs that the EU uses to keep competitors out of the single market.

What is the club has a policy - the Common Agricultural Policy - that keeps food prices above world levels, meaning we all pay more than we need to for our food?

In those circumstances, maybe the UK is better off outside of the club.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile:

Government's pro-EU publicity blitz gave Remain an unfair advantage in the referendum, report suggests
A£ 9.3m pro-EU publicity blitz by David Cameron's government in the run-up to the Brexit referendum gave the Remain side an unfair advantage, the like of which should be outlawed in future votes, an independent commission has suggested.

In a major report, a cross-party panel called for a significant extension of restrictions banning ministers from using unlimited amounts of public money in favour of one side of a debate before the final month of a campaign.
The establishment tried to rig the vote - unfortunately the electorate gave them two fingers.

The establishment is now trying to sabotage Brexit.

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You are taking to a bloke that called interest rates correctly for 10 years
Hardly relevant though fascinating I admit. Was it an annual announcement or a monthly one as to the rise and fall of interest rates. You’ve hardly been overworked this last few years.

Once again Boris PM by September and Rees Mogg Chancellor by October?
That’s what you’re saying?
I disagree.

And despite backing Argentina in the World Cup.

I’ll take that £20 a head to the site charity. Payable to hols for heroes on 30th Sept for Boris and 31st October for William.
Should either appear in their chosen role.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
That is a very simplistic view.

What if membership of the club results in levels of taxation (corporation tax, VAT etc) and regulation that burden UK business and render them less competitive on the world stage.?

What if the club is planning further political and financial integration that would require you sign over power of attorney over some of your affairs (in plain language requiring Westminster to transfer power to Brussels).

What is the financial system used by the club (the euro) has serious structural flaws and will result in a full or partial failure in the next recession?

What if the club is a protectionist organisation that is going to result in a trade war with the US with Trump imposing retaliatory tariffs for the protectionist tariffs that the EU uses to keep competitors out of the single market.

What is the club has a policy - the Common Agricultural Policy - that keeps food prices above world levels, meaning we all pay more than we need to for our food?

In those circumstances, maybe the UK is better off outside of the club.

Wordsmith
You could have a lot of fun with What if. If you had a little imagination and a sense of humour.
What if Labour support a Customs Union (watch that space)
What if Tony Blair becomes Euro president.
What if Peter Mandalson as interior hatchet man
What if Farage doesn’t get re-elected as an MEP
What if, all your what ifs are fantasy and your predictions aren’t even close .
Just asking like. I don’t expect an answer.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I have noticed a significant toughening of the UK's negotiating stance.

Britain will 'thrive' even if there is no Brexit deal, minister says, as David Davis calls on PM to 'reset' her plan
Britain will "thrive" even if there is no Brexit deal, Dominic Raab has said, as his predecessor David Davis called on the Prime Minister to "reset" her Brexit plan and prepare a "reserve parachute" in case no agreement is reached.

Mr Raab said there was "tremendous pressure" on the EU to secure a deal as he branded his counterparts "irresponsible" for failing to reassure British citizens living abroad about their rights after Brexit.
Dominic Raab: Britain will refuse to pay £39 billion divorce bill to Brussels if the EU fails to agree trade deal
Britain will refuse to pay its £39 billion divorce bill to Brussels if the European Union fails to agree a trade deal, the new Brexit Secretary pledges today.

Dominic Raab told The Sunday Telegraph that he would make the vast payment formally conditional on the EU “fulfilling its side of the bargain”.
May was absolutely stupid not to play these cards before. She's just proved to be week in negotiations and a doormat the EU has walked right over. At least Dominic Rabb is adopting a more realistic negotiating stance.

Which in turn is more likely to force concessions out of the EU.

Wordsmith