Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yet another nail (the final one?) Parts that would need further clarification. Every bit of paper handed to the EU has required "further clarification".
'further clarification' is Barnier for 'we wont accept that as is'. He's just to slimy to just say it.

And, Yes, the EU are indeed going for Hard Brexit. They want it all to hurt us, and them, just so they can hold it up as an example to others.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'further clarification' is Barnier for 'we wont accept that as is'. He's just to slimy to just say it.

And, Yes, the EU are indeed going for Hard Brexit. They want it all to hurt us, and them, just so they can hold it up as an example to others.
Then we should make it as painless as possible for us and as painful as possible for the EU.

Maybe Britain should consider putting on a World Trade Exposition such as this one

Expo 2015 - Wikipedia.

Show the world that post EU Britain is open for business!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
it's not a free trade deal, fool we're in a customs Union and we pay, it's free within the CU because we've paid. Note the word paid- this means it's not free. Your meal in a restaurant is not free, you have to pay. Either way the fact remains that you are paying well over the odds on the retail side. Tell you what you Buy your suits, Luggage etc in HK and pay the duty and then compare the difference in the high street near you. Bet you'd be surprised. If you travel and buy it may fit into your personal allowance.
Brexit according to some sources has already cost us £40bn, could cost us another £39bn. And suck up the £350m. A week promised to the nhs.
So tell us more about this future 'free trade' we're getting.

I seem to recall that the exact wording and framing of the question on the ballot paper was proposed by HMG and subsequently approved by Parliament. That sound you are presently hearing is that of a large amount of chickens coming home to roost!! Can't beat a nice bit of Parliamentary sovereignty
And that's a fundamental problem - don't bother me with details I neither know, understand or care about, just give me the result I want. the great British public acting like VSOs; who'd'a thunk it!
Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ireland's looking at serious economic damage in the event of a hard Brexit anyway, perhaps they see little to lose.

It could also be, that if Ireland is able to offer more routes and more competition to the rest of Europe they see a chance to nab some of the UK's long haul traffic.
It's a lot more expensive to get to Dublin from Germany (and further eastwards) without using the UK as a transit point between ferries.

Good luck with that then.

For starters: weighbridges for every RoI wagon entering the UK would be a nice. Dipping their tanks would be a cute second. Toll for every journey would be lucious. Tachograph examination every off/on, on/off the ferry should see a nice wedge collected in fines, with automatic confiscation of the vehicle for tacho and/or weight and/or fuel infringements and three months inside per driver... and as for their vehicles meeting UK safety standards..... what would that add on to each of their stabbers-in-the-back journey in time and costs? Of course, fresh arable produce should go to the back of the queue at the docks.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Brilliant. Brexit described elsewhere as 'a national spite suicide'

That's probably one of the considerable upsides we hear so little of
And despite us holding all the the cards on the easiest deal in history.

There's this,
image.jpeg

Did you actually read what you posted?

Ireland’s cunning plan is to offer an even longer route to Yourup And undercut the closer country with a tunnel and a couple of dozen short sea crossings?
I don't know if it is or isn't.

I don't know how you think the tunnel and ferries are relevant. I'm not sure there's many land at LHR then choose to travel to Dover to reach the continent.

Any increased time is marginal over a long haul journey once transfer times are taken into account. If it's cheaper (and open skies largely drove the budget airlines' success) people will accept an extra hour. In any case for American flights it's on the way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470