Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Right. Hands up all those who've changed sides since this mullarkey began.

Hate crimes on the rise since brexit, does that include everyone who went from dispassionate distaste of the EU pre-referendum, to hating the whole rotten disgusting institution post-referendum, for how it divides us ???

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Further confirmation of the above EU:Japan "Trade Deal" . . .

"The UK will be under pressure to replicate the European Union's trade deal with Japan if it wants to protect thousands of jobs at car companies like Nissan and Honda, analysts have suggested.

Fears those Japanese firms may pull out of the UK if Brexit creates barriers to trade saw Theresa May hold a summit with company bosses in February. Then she was warned by Japan’s ambassador Koji Tsuruoka that “if there is no profitability of continuing operation in [the] UK ... no private company can continue operations”.

Her government may even have to make extra concessions in negotiating a separate free trade agreement, experts believe, due to potential disruption caused by the UK's exit from the EU".

EU's landmark trade deal with Japan puts UK under 'strong pressure' to replicate it, analysts suggest
Have I got something wrong. Don’t we currently have a free trade deal with Europe and by virtue of this deal, a deal with japan.

But let’s leave and see if we can renegotiate a better free trade deal, than an.........Er free trade deal

Right. Hands up all those who've changed sides since this mullarkey began.
Nope.

I am now more sure than ever that leaving the EU is the right decision.

Not convinced however that politicians are going to deliver what I was promised at the referendum.

Worrying really, not sure what will happen to democracy in the UK if 17 million people are told their votes mean nothing.

May being stupid again.

Theresa May warns Brexiteers they cannot 'wash their hands' of the Irish border issue
Theresa May has warned Eurosceptics the UK cannot “wash our hands” of the Irish border issue as she urged the EU to increase the intensity of Brexit talks. Speaking in Belfast, the Prime Minister said the UK and EU would need to work together in order to ensure the continuation of a "seamless border".

Her comments will be seen as a slapdown to Brexiteers on her own benches who believe the UK should tell Brussels the Government would under no circumstances impose a hard border and dare the EU to do so in the event no withdrawal deal can be done.
That's exactly what i'd do. Tell the EU (wrapped up in diplomatic language) that HMG will impose a soft border on their side and if the EU and to fornicate the Irish economy by putting in a hard border on their side, go right ahead.

The EU has not been negotiating in good faith. About time we returned the compliment.

May still hasn't learned that if you behave like a doormat, people walk all over you.

Stupid woman.

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope.

I am now more sure than ever that leaving the EU is the right decision.

Not convinced however that politicians are going to deliver what I was promised at the referendum.

Worrying really, not sure what will happen to democracy in the UK if 17 million people are told their votes mean nothing.

As no one has a clue what Brexit means. Despite brexiters knowing exactly what they voted for.
May having been telling us Brexit means Brexit. Whatever she tells you it is, that’s what it is.
You should be happy.
I think she’s doing great.

Given Ireland has no QRA of its own, and its proximity to the UK this agreement is of as much, if not more worth to the UK. It offers us little, if any, useful leverage.

Varadkar's full statement is not quite as emotional as the edited extracts suggest.
He was a vagina for suggesting Irish airspace could be denied to UK aircraft in the first place. It's not the act of a statesman, more the politics of the playground.

Wordsmith

Hate crimes on the rise since brexit, does that include everyone who went from dispassionate distaste of the EU pre-referendum, to hating the whole rotten disgusting institution post-referendum, for how it divides us ???
Haters going to hate. Hater

He was a vagina for suggesting Irish airspace could be denied to UK aircraft in the first place. It's not the act of a statesman, more the politics of the playground.

Wordsmith
Well he isn't really a statesmen, just another non-entity on the EU payroll doing his masters spadework. Similarly the complete lack of response from our remainer government is so passive and weak, that it beggars belief.

Like the promise that Blair got to reform the CAP in return for giving up a third of our rebate? Feel free to point out the reforms that actually happened. (Clue: f-all).

As was repeatedly pointed out at the time, the assurance was not legally biding on the EU and could have been conveniently ignored.

The next treaty is years in the future. Why should the EU write a 5 - 10 year old promise into this as yet hypothetical treaty?

Wordsmith
Has the EU collapsed yet? Knob

Wordsmith
I suspect he was careless in his use of language. Eire can't deny any signatory to the ICAO treaty commercial navigation rights. In any case, unless you're looking to land in Eire there's not too many useful routes use their airspace. All of which I suspect he well knows but didn't articulate.

Now landing, and delivering routes to/from Eire is a different matter - something that very much is up for debate.

Last edited:

Wordsmith
Someone's a wee bit stressed.

I suspect he was careless in his use of language. Eire can't deny any signatory to the ICAO treaty commercial navigation rights. In any case, unless you're looking to land in Eire there's not too many useful routes use their airspace. Something I suspect he well knows but didn't articulate.

Now landing, and delivering routes to/from Eire is a different matter - something that very much is up for debate.
Varadkar would do well to remember the old adage: Engage brain before putting mouth in gear.

Not least because if the UK decided to be obstructive over goods being imported/exported through UK ports, the ROI's economy would suffer a significant recession.

Before you start a willy waving contest, make sure yours is big enough to wave without people laughing at you.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470