Brexit Phase Two - Trade

And the rest... Funnily enough, I completed my Disclosure Refresher Training earlier today.
Ever thought that the electoral commission may have been given a nod and a wink from an ongoing investigation? Don't think that they have but this is Posh George territory, the UK and US work very closely on some investigations.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
No change from Fortress Brussels then

Barnier welcomes Raab by stressing urgency of Irish border deadline

Barnier's first meeting with Raab and what does he do - tells Raab what he wants and that's it. When is May going to realise that Barnier had absolutely no intention of coming to a deal and just to crack on with brexit and treat Brussels as a sideline. Send emissaries to every EU MS and start talks in their capitals. Open an office in the capital city and I bet that contact is made. Won't happen though as May has not got the backbone for any action that might just annoy Brussrls.!

There’s a really, really good reason Barnier was stressing it’s urgency
It’s a border and it’s important.

Can we try a different point of view.

If there’s no hard Irish border in Ireland. Have we really left Europe?

There you go @AfghanAndy, three votes allegedly gained illegitimately. Apparently the Sun are claiming five. That takes it from a narrow win for May to a potential defeat for the government.
One of them called their paired opposite and didn't vote, ignoring the whip. Good person.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It's a strange outcome, given we hold all the cards. I'm beginning to suspect the EU may have been dealt in after all.

Still, as you imply, the MS will soon ride to our rescue, or the German car makers. It's just they're leaving it all a little late. They are still coming aren't they?
The card game analogy only works if both sides actually play, especially within the rules. At the moment the UK are playing Solitaire.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It would have passed anyway, but that is only through hindsight that I can make that statement. At the time the Whips' rickers must have been twitching and May must have been whipping the Whips. No excuse though and Tories have been caught out.

So your saying that the two entrenched sides have changed in 12 months ??
If they haven't, then the only question is what happens to the floating voters in between. I happened to express an opinion they would be more likely to vote soft brexit or remain, faced with a stark choice.
No, that's not the point I was trying to make. The challenge laid down by others was to reference your assertions, and the best you can apparently find is something over a year old. As you yourself have said above, there are a section of floating voters, who may or may not, have solidified their views with the passing of time. Whether they have (or have not) would be uncovered by a more up-to-date poll (assuming one exists).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Agree.

A funny thing on the box the other day, and I can't remember who said it but the conversation was around when May would go/be forced out, and one of the studio guests said she is staying on to secure her legacy! :rolleyes:

Totally - no-one in the City of London is stressing about this. Its a non-event. People groan when anyone mentions BREXIT - I'm not kidding.

The only people stressing at the politicians as the electorate has turned their snug little world upside down.

Business will crack on - its what it does
Agreed.

I did hear a wonderful snip of an interview with Jason Reeve Mogg on LBC being called a hypocrite for moving his investment company to Dublin.

He pointed out that his offices are still in London and will continue to be in London. He then proceeded to explain he had opened a fund up in Dublin, following in from another one he’d opened up in 93 and the fund was planned way before the referendum was even announced.

Would it? So far we only know of one dodgy vote, how do we know there weren't others? By my reckoning 42 MPs didn't vote in the division that went Leave's way.
One MP voted when possibly they shouldn’t have.
Instead of 307 to 301 it would’ve been 306 to 301.

Brexit vote: Government defeats EU customs union bid

We have SNP MPs who have been quite vocal about Scotland should leave the EU.(infact it been long standing SNP policy up until the mid 00s to leave the EU.) yet they voted to remain in the customs union.

Sadly, I sense the usual party politics is at play at the moment with parties in opposition more interested in defeating the government than giving a flying f**k about Brexit.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
We have SNP MPs who have been quite vocal about Scotland should leave the EU
You're our own little sub-Trump aren't you, Andrew? Not one single current SNP MP has been vocal 'about Scotland should leave the EU' [sic]. You lying little tinker.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And a substantial public appetite that turned into a referendum win.
Pretty much - there had been indications for many years that much of the British public was becoming disenchanted with the EU. Which was totally ignored by those in the Westminster bubble.

Now, most people are either looking forward to leaving the EU - or resigned to it. My impression from talking to people at work, in the pub, to friends and so on is that the ardent remainers are a distinct but very vocal minority.

Even the recent anti-Brexit demonstration in London didn't attract a particularly big crowd. Were the people of the UK massively opposed to Brexit, I would expect regular 500,000+ demonstrations in all the major cities.

The silence is deafening.

Wordsmith