Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Except that they won't be able to, because a weaker pound will drive up the cost of summer holidays in the sun so beloved of most Brits, while making imported food and goods more expensive (even without any import tariffs). Have a staycation in the UK then, except the cost of fuel will also rise, as we import it and pay for it with our weakened pound. Hurrah!
But thats already happened. Your beer in the Fatherland is already more expensive. The pound will fluctuate - it always does, but its down 5 cents against the dollar - whoop wey hey. Big deal.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Thee are two aspects to Brexit; the immediate term and the long term.

From the short term perspective a hard Brexit is better than the terms May is agreeing. Those terms would allow the EU to tie our hands for the foreseeable future and might - for example - be used to stop us cutting taxes and regulations to stop us gaining competitive advantage over the EU. The ability for the EU to interfere in Westminster decisions after Brexit is totally unacceptable.

Long term - providing we have freedom of action - the UK should prosper. As stated before, we can become a low tax, light regulation economy, which should allow us to gradually grow at the expense of the EU - a process supplemented by our ability to sign trade deals with the rest of the world and grow our trade there.

So its not too late to save Brexit. The only thing we have to fear is nay-sayers crying we're doomed without our EU comfort blanket.

Wordsmith
This thing you so believe in. Now needs saving?
Two of its prime provocateurs, have resigned and run for cover
Boris sets a good example. He encourages us to believe in Brexit and believe in Britain.
He tells us this from the safety of a chateau three miles behind the lines.

Yet it’s the nay sayers fault.

I spent a bit of the afternoon with ‘A senior remainer’ at Queens Uni. I should have showed him some of this stuff. But to be honest he wasn’t short of things to laugh at nor to be optimistic about.
I’m afraid the threat to the country doesn’t come from the nay sayers. It comes from those who have gone beyond common sense. And are so wedded to the idea of Brexit no matter what harm it does us, they are determined to carry it on to the bitter end.

As for it harming Europe........you may have heard if you were receiving broadcasts from somewhere other than that echo chamber between your ears.
Europe has been told to prepare for a hard Brexit.

The Electoral Commission initiated civil proceedings and subsequently referred him to the CPS.
And since they're historically reluctant to go that far I suspect they have good reason. You'll know how long any proper investigation would take though, years.

They could if they cancel Brexit.

The Brexit Loons seem to thing there is an overwhelming majority inthe UK for Brexit. there never was. at best there was a very small (and highly misinformed ) majority over 2 years ago. things have moved on.
Unless you intend to make not voting a criminal offence, you’re talking bollox. The majority on the day was 1m plus. Fcek off, you Twonk of a facist/communist snowflake.

apologies for lowering the tone by the way - I think the mood in the thread needed lifting a bit as the remainers are a bit shouty/emotional/vocal and need to calm down a bit
You appear to have a bit of a comprehension issue, I've not been calling anyone traitor, quisling or similar for having a different perspective. HTH

Funny I had the same thought about you, a perfect case study of short man syndrome.

Your posts always consist of one part recognition of another person's opinion and a second part an outright dig, which is always delivered with contempt. On the rare occasions you try to be constructive, its to merely cut and paste another person's opinion and pass it off as facts supporting your own non-existent opinions.
So glad that someone else has noticed his intellectual onanistic juvenile puerility. Cheers, mucker. :)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The EU is being uncooperative for fear that the UK will prosper outside of the EU and other countries will follow.

It's a lot easier to sign trade deals with countries that see mutual advantage in doing so.

Wordsmith
The Eu s not being uncooperative, they’ve done their best to give us wriggle room and time (especially on the border. Pay attention the borders important. Because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it unimportant).

Time is important, it’s running out.
It’s been two years and nothing going. No ones coming up with a better deal than the one we’re leaving. It’s harsh when the rules and regulations take little account of wishful thinking and high hopes.

They’ve gone from bewilderment at our behaviour to exasperation and telling one another to prepare for a hard Brexit.
This doesn’t look like a scared or fearful looking United Europe.
You’re getting them mixed up with a scared and fearful looking government.

The pairing agreement - if MPs are too ill or pregnant and can't attend Parliament for a vote they're paired with an MP of the opposite opinion and the other MP agrees not to vote. The Tory whips told at least one remain leaning MP that had been done then sent the paired leave MP in to vote anyway.
From Guido
There have been 2,000 pairs arranged since the General Election. 66 have been broken. 14 pairs have been broken by the Government and 52 pairs have been broken by the Opposition (of which 7 were broken by the Lib Dems, despite them having only 12 MPs). There is a lot of faux outrage about.”

Nice try, fail. Pity the link is from over a year ago (Jun. 23, 2017), so not particularly relevant to today.
So your saying that the two entrenched sides have changed in 12 months ??
If they haven't, then the only question is what happens to the floating voters in between. I happened to express an opinion they would be more likely to vote soft brexit or remain, faced with a stark choice.

Nope. The no-deal scenario became a possible outcome the moment the "no-deal is better than a bad deal" mantra was being repeated by some of the Brexiteers. I've seen this attitude on here as well. "Just walk away without a deal.....". The British government still doesn't know what Brexit looks like, so how can you expect the other 27 MS will know what the **** it means? A no-deal Brexit isn't what any of the other MS would like to see, but thanks to the monumental political incompetence of the current UK government the rest of the EU has started to prepare for the worst whilst still hoping for the best.

And that's the dangerous bit in this epic shitstorm. People like Adonis, Soubry and Clark seem to think they can simply stop this Brexit, but I wonder whether that's still an option. You're passed that point. I've said before on here the Dutch government is hiring close to 1,000 extra customs officers to deal with a no-deal scenario. In a radio interview Sophie in 't Veld (MEP) said this is costing us €100,000,000. That's €100,000,000 which we can't invest in our healthcare, education or whatever. It's more or less spend and being spend. In November the port of Rotterdam has planned what I like to call a Brexercise. For a day the port will pretend Britain has crashed out of the EU so they can see what other preparations could be needed to deal with a no-deal outcome. Such an exercise isn't free either.

So first, there is the risk of the sunken cost fallacy. We're not the only ones preparing for the no-deal scenario and some countries might fall victim to this fallacy and all the money already spend is seen as an investment that needs paying off rather than writing off.

Second, confirmation bias. If you prepare for a no-deal than this must be justified since politicians and firms know at one point they will be held accountable by the voters or share- and stakeholders. This kind of spending needs reasoning and the risk is reasoning towards what you ideally don't want but have to justify.

Third, look where you want to land. Currently we're all starting to look at the spot where we don't want to land, and the most likely outcome will be that we will all get exactly there. The reason we're looking over there in the first place is because the noises coming over from the Channel keep pointing us in that direction.

A no-deal outcome is still very likely and if the UK is careless it might simply fizz out of the EU next year like an already deflated balloon. No big bang, but just whhhhhsssssssssssss.

Blame the EU all you like, but many countries around the globe do deals with the EU. It can't be that hard (easiest deal ever springs to mind).

If you really want to crash out with your fingers crossed than be my guest. Otherwise, make up your collective minds, accept you can't have cake and than eat it, than still have it to smear it on the ******* walls in parliament and than eat it again.
F U D !

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No change from Fortress Brussels then

Barnier welcomes Raab by stressing urgency of Irish border deadline

Barnier's first meeting with Raab and what does he do - tells Raab what he wants and that's it. When is May going to realise that Barnier had absolutely no intention of coming to a deal and just to crack on with brexit and treat Brussels as a sideline. Send emissaries to every EU MS and start talks in their capitals. Open an office in the capital city and I bet that contact is made. Won't happen though as May has not got the backbone for any action that might just annoy Brussrls.!

Quite an interesting day in the City today talking to one of the analysts from a US Investment bank. Since BAE sold its 20% stake in Airbus, the City has been expecting airbus to pull out of the UK for donkies, so the sabre rattling is causing no concern in London.

I asked about the current outlook and the response I got was UK manufacturing trading in the UK, not a problem. The drop in the pound places companies exporting into US, AsiaPac (in other words not Europe) - its good news. The only real impact is companies with supply chains cutting across the EU - they will have an issue, but with 5 years to relocate a manufacturing line, no-one is worrying, and those that are going to pull out were going to pull out anyway. A weaker pound also means labour costs are lower, so we are more competitive.

Some of you lot need to get out more
I suggest that you and they, go to Filton and Brough to tell the workers their jobs are causing no real concern for you or the city. I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470