Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
They have an opinion.

They also state that there’s no public desire for a second referendum.
I'm glad you spotted that, because on the printed word and the news outlets who carried the idea of a second referendum. They all said the same thing.
Laying out the salient points of a second referendum then pointing out there doesn't seem to be much of a desire for one.
Given enough favourable stories about a second referendum, you’ll be surprised how public opinion changes.

You can imagine how shocked I am that you know more about the dairy industry than the Managing Director of a multi-billion pound dairy company...
I certainly know there is a place called New Zealand who was traditionally the UKs major dairy supplier before EEC tariffs killed off much of the trade. He certainly seems a bit thick If he hasn’t heard of Australia and New Zealand.

I certainly know there is a place called New Zealand who was traditionally the UKs major dairy supplier before EEC tariffs killed off much of the trade. He certainly seems a bit thick If he hasn’t heard of Australia and New Zealand.
We don't currently have any kind of free trade deal with either Australia or New Zealand, correct?

It's been over two years since the referendum and the government haven't even managed to decide what relationship we'd like to have the EU yet. What makes you think we'll sort out trade deals with other countries any quicker or that our shambles of a government will be able to make agreements that are at least as good as what we currently have?

He probably knows a bit about both countries though - Arla foods have done major deals with dairy firms in both countries. I'm surprised an industry expert like you didn't know about them. It won't help sort out a trade deal between us and them though...

Of course it's pish. The question was why single out the Guardian instead of one of the other pish poor media outlets.
Fair comment.

It always worries me (I spent a long time dealing with the media) when folks prefer information via a media prism than the readily available source material.

If you use metaphors to explain this, Eurosceptics as a character are more like Begbie from Transporting, someone who will do anything to win their fight.

"On the other side, the Stephens Hammonds and the Remainers are more like Margo Leadbetter from The Good Life.

"They will complain, they will argue, they may get very cross, but they will never bet the house."

Laura Kniuessberg today

We don't currently have any kind of free trade deal with either Australia or New Zealand, correct?

It's been over two years since the referendum and the government haven't even managed to decide what relationship we'd like to have the EU yet. What makes you think we'll sort out trade deals with other countries any quicker or that our shambles of a government will be able to make agreements that are at least as good as what we currently have?

He probably knows a bit about both countries though - Arla foods have done major deals with dairy firms in both countries. I'm surprised an industry expert like you didn't know about them. It won't help sort out a trade deal between us and them though...
the government would very much like to have a relationship that looks like membership of the EU

unfortunately for them they are stuck with a leave mandate.

Amazing...Select Committee Rooms recorded 18th July. Prime Minister May reduced to a dribbling wreck by questions she could not answer. Fudge, fudge and more fudge...never seen such a clueless bluffing clown since DD exposed himself. She has no idea how brexit will work and the white paper is simply a waste of pulp.

The solution?

Ask the people to solve the problem. As they and only they know what they want.

I did actually. Others were less keen. But I was in favour only because it had the potential to flush the EU fox.
The EU has been waiting for the Cabinet to come to some sort of starting position for negotiations. I accept it also as a starting position, though I don't expect it to last in its current form.

I don't think it was so much a fudge, rather a bit of burnt toffee! Still it was put together by a right fudge packer!
The vanilla proposal was fudged to sweeten the deal which became a rum business with a bitter aftertaste. Meanwhile some are still taking the tablet and reckon the arguments are wafer thin and there isn't a snowballs chance of it passing through. After crunching through the substance, some felt it took the biscuit. Meanwhile there was a marathon session during which opposing sides nibbled and bit hard, salivating as they sensed that the cookie was crumbling. Many felt that they had indulged too much already and expressed that they were sick of it.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well there had been plenty of heat around this WP.

Strange that the Conservatives want to come out the single market which good old Maggie Thatcher invented,
Yes, of course she did, precious.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470