Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
From the unofficial leader at the helm of the Conservative party.
Word on Boris and his rather weedy speech.
The speech of a statesman.
That's it.
Jacob must have got hold of the speech he decided not to read out

From the unofficial leader at the helm of the Conservative party.
Word on Boris and his rather weedy speech.
The speech of a statesman.
That's it.
Jacob must have got hold of the speech he decided not to read out
Ahem...

As I seem to recall, pressure from subsidised dairy in mainland EU countries was one contributing factor to a reduction in capacity. The butter mountains didn't come about by accident. UK dairy sector is a fraction of what it used to be. They had to adopt intensive farming methods and automation to survive as an industry. Now they have to try and add value by producing yogurt, ice cream and cheeses for which the consumer is prepared to pay a premium. Once capacity and herds have been reduced it is hard to get the land, herds and investment to grow again. As regards China, my understanding was that there is a far greater proportion (90%?) of oriental people with lactose intolerance (mainly to cows milk and dairy produce). This is also true for people in the west who have blood group B I think?

I work for a certain multinational IT/Consultancy firm and am constantly propagandised about the wonders of AI and the future of VR. The truth is, its almost entirely a sales pitch for the gullible, where it is real, more often than not the customer doesn't really need it and the old processes worked just as well i.e. spend lots of money to replace A car, with another car which has looks amazing and has lots of amazing gimmicks but for the user, its often hard to drive and to an extent makes them dumber.

I agree post-brexit whatever that entails, we should be on the cutting edge. But, its hardly going to employ a lot of people and putting public money into it, is a very risky strategy. A mixed strategy is crucial and I hope a future government considers all sectors worthy of support.
I’m giggling thinking about all the fuss that was made about 4GL and —- wow! natural language —- 5GL programming languages that would mean the end of coders back in the 80s. We’ve only just managed to get Siri, Google and Amazon Echo to play music.

I won’t be investing in AI just yet, nor tomorrow, nor for the next decade or three. It’s all snake oil and Barnum & Bailey.

Having read the story, they seem to be quoting from a report commissioned for the largest dairy firm in the UK and from a senior man from that firm.

Now I know we're sick of experts and all that, but mightn't the Managing Director from a dairy company with a £6bn footprint in the UK alone know a little bit about making things out of milk?

Having read the story, they seem to be quoting from a report commissioned for the largest dairy firm in the UK and from a senior man from that firm.

Now I know we're sick of experts and all that, but mightn't the Managing Director from a dairy company with a £6bn footprint in the UK alone know a little bit about making things out of milk?

You seem as gullible as the article is disingenuous

Talking head for huge EUcentric dairy firm conveniently forgets huge New Zealand and Australian dairy industry traditional suppliers to UK before EEC membership now freed from punitive EU tariffs.

You seem as gullible as the article is disingenuous

Talking head for huge EUcentric dairy firm conveniently forgets huge New Zealand and Australian dairy industry traditional suppliers to UK before EEC membership now freed from punitive EU tariffs.
You can imagine how shocked I am that you know more about the dairy industry than the Managing Director of a multi-billion pound dairy company...

He could be crying over spilt milk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470