Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
What is with you, baggy and the crustacean's fixation with Wetherspoons? Is it the last bastion of Remain refuge?
Here you go, one in your neck of the woods although there others around the Province:-
Pubs In Belfast - The Bridge House - J D Wetherspoon
Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice, but you'll excuse me if I give it a miss. It used to be known as a Saturday afternoon and evening 'bucket of blood'

It was the first place a head case stopped for a pint after attempting to rob a couple e of shops and chemists in the area.
Two policemen injured, possibly one stabbed, but they have a selection of craft beers and I think they do an all day breakfast.
I may look.

I think you are spot on with that short analysis. Therefore, I think it is time for the Tory Party to step up to the plate and take over.

By this I mean Mrs May stays in No 10 as the titular head while the Party takes over the running of Brexit. They will have to decide which way they go: Brexit or Remain and stick with that. If it is Remain then I fear that will be the end of the Tory chances of occupying No10 for the duration of the career of most Tory MPs. It will probably be Brexit so the Party need to bring out their heavies and force Tory MPs to toe the Party line or be deselected.

Now there are lots of arguments against this but with the current impasse something drastic is needed to move things forward and not this marking time we have had for two years.
It won't happen.

The bulk of the Conservative's immediate problems are because May is totally useless as a leader. Remove her (and twats like Ollie Robbins) and things start to improve.

With a new pro-Brexit PM the Tories should be able to come up with a workable solution acceptable to both Westminster and Brussels. The party will unite behind the new PM and a lot of the infighting will cease. A lot of the dissident MP's will come back on board - BoJo will back the new leader and David Davis's ideas will get a fresh hearing for example. If nothing else, the bulk of the party knows that delivering anything other than a workable Brexit will result in a decade or more in the political wilderness.

Get rid of May and things will take a marked change for the better.

Wordsmith

Last edited:
I think you are spot on with that short analysis. Therefore, I think it is time for the Tory Party to step up to the plate and take over.

By this I mean Mrs May stays in No 10 as the titular head while the Party takes over the running of Brexit. They will have to decide which way they go: Brexit or Remain and stick with that. If it is Remain then I fear that will be the end of the Tory chances of occupying No10 for the duration of the career of most Tory MPs. It will probably be Brexit so the Party need to bring out their heavies and force Tory MPs to toe the Party line or be deselected.

Now there are lots of arguments against this but with the current impasse something drastic is needed to move things forward and not this marking time we have had for two years.
I'm surprised you agree with me as the underlying assumption I made is that no-one in the Tory party thinks Brexit can be a success. If they did they'd ditch May and claim the glory for themselves. Same for Labour too I think, they don't want to take over and be forced to deliver failure.

So if no-one in the HoC, hip deep in the detail, thinks Brexit can be a success, why are we still doing it?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As repeatedly explained, the hand that wields the knife never inherits the crown. In addition, forcing May out could be messy. I suspect the bulk of the Tory party is hoping she'll bow to the inevitable and resign soon. Her authority is in tatters, she can't get a workable plan agreed by Brussels and through Westminster and she's just become an embarrassment.

When she does resign, there will be no shortage of applicants for the vacancy. At a minimum, they'll be PM for three years with DUP support. And if they win the 2022 GE they'll be PM for eight years.

Wordsmith
Drivel. 'The hand that wields etseterah, etsetseterah' was a quote from Heseltine when he realised what he'd done. It's not Shakespeare.

Thatcher got rid of Heath and took his place, I’m sure if I thought about it they’d be others.
It’s just that Heseltine and Johnson are the most recent and notorious failed assassins.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Apart from BoJo, Gove, Davis, Sajid Javid (lining himself up to replace May), JRM, the 60+ MP's of the ERM group, multiple other MP's and many of the party activists...

Wordsmith
They don’t think it’s going to be a success, if they did they’d be busily getting themselves in a position to ditch May and become the heroes who gave us Brexit.
Funnily enough they’re kind of conspicuous by their absence. Boris returning to the Telegaph (I’ve cancelled my sub) at at least £250k.

Edit Any pointers for the Times crossword?

Once Brexit is out of the way, Sourbery needs deselecting.
its sectioned she needs mate! seriously, when I saw her in parliament yesterday I thought she had rabies! - completely out of control, emotional, abusive, confused, angry, severe case of double PMS. For her own mental and physical health she needs to go to a quiet and dark place for a reality check. Apart from Sturgeon & May I cant think of another person who is so hated and for the same reasons - arrogant, intolerant, incompetent, unhinged, duplicitous, mad!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Whom exactly do you mean by 'the party' taking over?
Sorry if your comprehension skills are showing their deficiency yet again. May I humbly suggest you go to night school and try and learn basic English?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Brexit means brexit

Ignorance is strength

We hold all of the cards

2 + 2 = 5

No deal is better than a bad deal

etc etc etc
Baglock is a fecking nutter! There you go, a valid and accurate statement.

its sectioned she needs mate! seriously, when I saw her in parliament yesterday I thought she had rabies! - completely out of control, emotional, abusive, confused, angry, severe case of double PMS. For her own mental and physical health she needs to go to a quiet and dark place for a reality check. Apart from Sturgeon & May I cant think of another person who is so hated and for the same reasons - arrogant, intolerant, incompetent, unhinged, duplicitous, mad!
But apart from that, what don't you like about sour grapes Soubry?

Wordsmith :smile:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm surprised you agree with me as the underlying assumption I made is that no-one in the Tory party thinks Brexit can be a success. If they did they'd ditch May and claim the glory for themselves. Same for Labour too I think, they don't want to take over and be forced to deliver failure.

So if no-one in the HoC, hip deep in the detail, thinks Brexit can be a success, why are we still doing it?
As matters stand under May and the very effective work she is doing to wreck brexit, whether deliberate or through incompetence, then there is little chance of brexit being successful for the UK. For the EU yes indeed. As I said, remove her from the process and we have a chance.

Your blinkered "EU or nothing" statements are not really relevant as they do not respect the referendum, which you lost BTW. Do please get over it!

Like a slightly less deranged version of @Baglock

They don’t think it’s going to be a success, if they did they’d be busily getting themselves in a position to ditch May and become the heroes who gave us Brexit.
Funnily enough they’re kind of conspicuous by their absence. Boris returning to the Telegaph (I’ve cancelled my sub) at at least £250k.

Edit Any pointers for the Times crossword?
There's a simple reason for that! - historically, the Tory who makes the initial running NEVER gets selected and takes the blame for bringing down the current PM.
Naturally, at that moment in time the other candidates 'reluctantly' put themselves forward - to serve the nation, don't you know:)
Obviously it then falls on them to character assassinate the one who broke ground first as someone who clearly doesn't act in the party's best interests and defend the current PMs record whilst feverishly behind the scenes trying to gather support from sycophants who will want a cabinet post in return!
Trust me - the second BoJo or the like makes their move watch out for how many suddenly emerge from the shadows - people like Amber Rudd and Sajid already have their supporters on a retainer and a candidate plan of attack sat on their desks waiting. Unlike the chaos of Labour Leader elections with union involvement etc Tory leadership elections are swift and ruthless with the wider party members being presented the 2 survivors to choose from.

Just a final thought to bare in mind - in the current climate it could actually be a Remainer who tries to step forward to 'save Britain' . The Tory Parliamentary party is majority Remain (out of touch with reality) so we could well see some ******** like Nicky Morgan or Rudd having a go stop Bojo or JRM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470