Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I think Mrs May's worries are not the Remainers as she has bought them off with this white paper.

No her worries now are the Brexiteers in her own party who feel they have been ambushed and sold out. There is a definite chance that they will get amendments to the Bills going through before parliament rises which will make the deal either unacceptable to the EU or changed in such a way that it can't go forward.
Your right, but you underestimate the media love in if the EU starts to lend it support to the deal. The EU will also through the backdoor start use its authority over elements within HM Opposition party and the lib dem/snp, to back the deal as well. Any later minor edits will be skirted over, it will be too late and Saint Theresa is now on course to becoming a Brussels Saint.

The only way to stop this NOW, is to get those 40+ letters in or the DUP pull the plug. The media want a deal, but they love a good story. .

May has developed a bunker mentality - deploying phantom votes in order to stave off defeat.

It's not as if this problem came out of the blue. It's been obvious for months that a steadily increasing segment of the Tory party has become deeply unhappy with the direction May is taking. Instead of taking note of the concerns and trying to reach an accommodation with the Brexit wing of the party, she's tried to bluff and con her way past them. Not a smart move...

She must feel like someone with a date with the hangman. Every day she crosses another date off the calendar in her cell, bringing her ever closer to the day she must resign leadership of the Tory party - or be forced out. And history is not going to be too kind to her when it happens - she has only herself to blame for the fuster cluck she's created.

Wordsmith
Re bunker mentality, has anyone seen a fuhrer bunker vid about the chequers agreement floating about yet?

Your right, but you underestimate the media love in if the EU starts to lend it support to the deal. The EU will also through the backdoor start use its authority over elements within HM Opposition party and the lib dem/snp, to back the deal as well. Any later minor edits will be skirted over, it will be too late and Saint Theresa is now on course to becoming a Brussels Saint.

The only way to stop this NOW, is to get those 40+ letters in or the DUP pull the plug. The media want a deal, but they love a good story. .

Brussels seen to be publicly guiding the PM's hand will be toxic… even Labour are not happy as the cosiness of TM with Merkel and Co.

If you are looking for today's example of political chicanary, here's an early entrant:

Justine Greening has called for a second referendum, labelling the prime minister's Brexit deal a "fudge".
Greening calls for second referendum

She restates the deal, no deal, don't leave questions and adds that votes should be transferrable "As they are in our mayoral elections". In other words it's the proportional representation as opposed to the first past the post method, which tends to warp the intention of the voter towards their less desirable outcome.

The arrogance of Ms Greening, imagining that we would not notice.

Brussels seen to be publicly guiding the PM's hand will be toxic… even Labour are not happy as the cosiness of TM with Merkel and Co.
But it isn't public, remember this is tinfoil hat stuff :) or so the accusation which will be bandied about. Publically, The EU will be cautiously optimistic, but claim there are still some issues, to avoid the charge you identify.

Look at Greening to see an unhelpful comment, which in a sense shores up support for May, from the brexit voting, but tory loyalists out of fear of staying in fully. Serving TMs purpose, she can use fear to whip both remainers fearing hard brexit and fear of outright remaining on the other side.

Like threading the eye of the needle, she has to be stopped now. Once the process begins full bore, that is it and the media will destroy anyone's argument, opposed to this ever so rational direction.

If you are looking for today's example of political chicanary, here's an early entrant:

Greening calls for second referendum

She restates the deal, no deal, don't leave questions and adds that votes should be transferrable "As they are in our mayoral elections". In other words it's the proportional representation as opposed to the first past the post method, which tends to warp the intention of the voter towards their less desirable outcome.

The arrogance of Ms Greening, imagining that we would not notice.
Can't see a problem myself.

Mr Lobbyist? <Guffaw followed by huge belly laughs>
If we want to trade with them, we do so with a trade agreement, preferably a FTA because if we don't, our economy is fecked. We can trade without a trade agreement, under WTO.

How are our schedules coming along?

How many of those trade deals are going to be seamlessly transferred?

Which of our biggest, bestest and favourite, newest and biglyest future trade partners have kyboshed UK/EU agreements at the WTO?

You're truly without a Scooby at all, after all of this time, can't learn, won't learn.
Now really are having a laugh. How would I know what's prepared or not? I'm retired- all I get is what's on the forum or fed by various sources- I have to be cleverer than you to wade through all that. And that's really all you have to hang on to-the hope that if you yell and put down hard enough it'll all be solved. You've never read up for a through a Croners and barely know what a tariff is, never had to deal with drivers turning up with half an hour till sailing and systems worked despite all the pressures. Our industry is fecked is it? Well enough Governments have tried hard enough and yet despite all, the EU is desperate to keep us. Your trade agreements are little more than MOUs and held together by the contracts of the principals, which is how trade has always worked. Trade deals seamlessly transferred?- you sure about that? You hadn't heard the big boys are having a spat. I can remember a time when some or now biggest agents were little more than a telephone and a notepad in the front room,God knows I visited enough. Now go and see Mummy-she'll give you Breckie

So, is it a good time to go over leaver arguments we have known and loved on the way we should treat the government?

Stop being a traitor and get behind the PM as she works to deliver Brexit !

Stop asking for details about government plans, a good poker player never shows their hands !

Stop being negative about the process, you're supporting the EU and bringing the country down !

Honestly, if one could overdose on schadenfreude I'd be in intensive care right now. That said, quite how the whiplash change in attitude we've seen in here over the past few weeks hasn't resulted in major neck injuries beats me.

Shouldn’t the headline read ‘EU invest €230 million of somebody else’s money and claims credit for it’
yes. Yes, it should. That's, what, 45EUro cents per person in the the EU. They're who have invested in CERN. You could also assume it's closer to 1 EUro per person living in a net contributory member state... Like UK.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Can't see a problem myself.
What? With 2 remain type answers and 1 leave type, what could possibly go wrong? It should be down to one of each again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So, is it a good time to go over leaver arguments we have known and loved on the way we should treat the government?

Stop being a traitor and get behind the PM as she works to deliver Brexit !

Stop asking for details about government plans, a good poker player never shows their hands !

Stop being negative about the process, you're supporting the EU and bringing the country down !

Honestly, if one could overdose on schadenfreude I'd be in intensive care right now. That said, quite how the whiplash change in attitude we've seen in here over the past few weeks hasn't resulted in major neck injuries beats me.
Enjoy your victory, but don't forget the reality and myth of this event, will fuel the next iteration of UKIP.
If it take a thousand years, the UK will be free (pinched from Babylon 5).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And as each Brexiteer resigns, TM promptly replaces them with a Remainer.

Seems somewhat counterintuitive ^^
Which seems to have been her plan all along. Get rid of thge Brexiteers at the end of the process so they can't get their act together and force brexiteers back into Cabinet - senior and junior.

A plan indeed but one that is likely to come back and bite her on gthe bum. Nothing agreed until all is agreed - still pertinent!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Enjoy your victory, but don't forget the reality and myth of this event, will fuel the next iteration of UKIP.
If it take a thousand years, the UK will be free (pinched from Babylon 5).
Dont worry, the victory is only a skirmish - the battle/war continues and much to go before ceasefire!

Seen. I agree with that point of view.
If PMTM somehow managed to obtain the mandate within the electorate as well as parliament to bin brexit entirely, it would be a masterclass in tightrope straddling politics.

I think that history would look rather kindly on her once the emotions of this process die down.

Not going to happen, they'll say its a starting point..

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BBC reporting that May is going to accept ALL amendments raised by the ERG as she is scared that they can foil the whole package. Return to 'kicking the can down the road' !!!!

Isn't it just great to have such a decisive leader! :p

Norman Smith on BBC saying the EU will probably not accept the amended bill/agreement!!!

Happy Days are here again!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If PMTM somehow managed to obtain the mandate within the electorate as well as parliament to bin brexit entirely, it would be a masterclass in tightrope straddling politics.

I think that history would look rather kindly on her once the emotions of this process die down.
She has collapsed at the first fence! She will only have a mandate if she can make and keep to decisions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470