Brexit Phase Two - Trade

My understanding of the May plan (and please correct me if wrong):

1. We formally leave the EU.
2. We leave the CAP.
3. We leave the CFP.
4. Our contributions to the EU will be less.
5. Will there not be less scope and likliehood of cases being referred to the ECJ?
6. EU immigration is likely to be less for various reasons.
As requested, I'll correct you if you're wrong.

The EU will still have power of veto over a number of decision areas at Westminster with the ECJ as ultimate arbiter - hence May's solution is 'leaving in name only'. And moreover, she seems determined to lock us into a legally binding agreement so the UK is technically stuck with that in perpetuity.

The UK should become a sovereign state again after leaving the EU - and as such the EU should not have power of veto over Westminster decisions.

Wordsmith

Which would have even less chance of getting through Parliament; the EU can count too. The problem is that May has offered them a plan which she cannot deliver, therefore why would they expend precious political capital to agree to it when she can't get it through Parliament?
Pretty much.

Tory rebels set up WhatsApp plot to thwart Theresa May's Brexit plan
Eurosceptics have set up a “party within a party” with a highly organised whipping operation among Tory Eurosceptic MPs to try to frustrate Theresa May’s Brexit plans. The news threatens to blow wide open the frustrations within the Conservative Party about Theresa May’s Chequers plan for trading with the European Union after Brexit. The news has emerged on the day that Brandon Lewis, the party Chairman, and Gavin Barwell, the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff, hosted a conference call with senior members of the voluntary party to gauge the mood among the grassroots about the Brexit proposals. More than 100 Eurosceptic Tory MPs are now on a WhatsApp group co-ordinated by a former Brexit minister.
Any Tory leader with 100 of her MP's coordinating opposition to her via What's App is in deep smeg. And given that at least one member of that group is the proverbial stool pigeon for May/the whips office, they don't seem too worried about official reprisals.

Wordsmith

I think that you misunderstand me; the point that I am making is that the EU appear to have given up on May altogether but what they do not want to do is pull the trigger for the Tory Brexiteers.

Circumstances dear boy, circumstances.

the Eastern Europeans are ratcheting up the buggeration factor again.

Pretty much.

Any Tory leader with 100 of her MP's coordinating opposition to her via What's App is in deep smeg. And given that at least one member of that group is the proverbial stool pigeon for May/the whips office, they don't seem too worried about official reprisals.

Wordsmith
This long predicted and long postponed Tory civil war needs to sort itself out whilst the rest of the EU watches from the sidelines. As I'm sure you'll know 100 is not enough.

Pretty much.

Wordsmith
I wonder if the Remainers realise just what chain of events they may (no pun) have set in motion.

As I posted previously, the centre cannot stand on this. The country is going to go massively left or right if May continues. She has to go and soon.

I wonder if the Remainers realise just what chain of events they may (no pun) have set in motion.

As I posted previously, the centre cannot stand on this. The country is going to go massively left or right if May continues. She has to go and soon.
Come now, you're getting what you voted for.

This long predicted and long postponed Tory civil war needs to sort itself out whilst the rest of the EU watches from the sidelines. As I'm sure you'll know 100 is not enough.
It takes just 48 MP's to trigger a leadership election. There is now clearly a coordinated attempt effort to force May to resign. If she won't do so, I think either a mass Tory abstention for the government side on an opposition motion designed to bring May down will be the next thing we see. Maybe as early as next week. Failing that, the trigger on a leadership election may well be pulled if May tries to get her proposals through parliament with opposition support.

May is a dead woman walking - and too stupid to see it.

Don't forget its not only a large sub-set of Tory MP's that want to see May gone; she'd be a huge political scalp for the opposition as well.

Wordsmith

It takes just 48 MP's to trigger a leadership election. There is now clearly a coordinated attempt effort to force May to resign. If she won't do so, I think either a mass Tory abstention for the government side on an opposition motion designed to bring May down will be the next thing we see. Maybe as early as next week. Failing that, the trigger on a leadership election may well be pulled if May tries to get her proposals through parliament with opposition support.

May is a dead woman walking - and too stupid to see it.

Don't forget its not only a large sub-set of Tory MP's that want to see May gone; she'd be a huge political scalp for the opposition as well.

Wordsmith
From memory you need 158 to cast her out. I do know that 48 is the trigger.

Come now, you're getting what you voted for.
No. I'm not. I won't be getting an exit from the EU and I won't be getting a decent centrist government for decades after May has gone. If you think this bad, just wait and see what else she will try on.

The next GE is going to be a slaughterhouse of Conservative candidates; if you think the Lib Dems had it hard after Cameron-Clegg, you ain't seen nothing yet.

No. I'm not. I won't be getting an exit from the EU and I won't be getting a decent centrist government for decades after May has gone. If you think this bad, just wait and see what else she will try on.

The next GE is going to be a slaughterhouse of Conservative candidates; if you think the Lib Dems had it hard after Cameron-Clegg, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Which party do you expect to win the next election?

From memory you need 158 to cast her out. I do know that 48 is the trigger.
I think a lot of remain MP's will vote with the Brexit side to force May out. They know they can't win the next GE in charge. Anyway, it doesn't take 158 to force her out - it takes 158 to reelect her as leader. At worst, many MP's will abstain rather than see her continue as Tory leader.

Wordsmith

I think a lot of remain MP's will vote with the Brexit side to force May out. They know they can't win the next GE in charge. Anyway, it doesn't take 158 to force her out - it takes 158 to reelect her as leader. At worst, many MP's will abstain rather than see her continue as Tory leader.

Wordsmith
This Brexit panto will run and run, won't it?

Ooer! A like from the Amusing Blubber. Anyway, been out with a few mates, had a couple of tomato juices,(Might not be true) How's your day been? Carer been round?
It's good to know Clopper & Clopper are worried about me, failures R Us, the pair of you.
Mates?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470