Brexit Phase Two - Trade

If she knows what she’s doing, how come she’s on the verge of being forced out as Tory leader? Someone who knows what she’s doing would not be presiding over the current fuster cluck.

Wordsmith
You read that somewhere. Do you see anyone stupid enough to go for that forlorn hope.

I can think of two, and I’m pretty sure one of them is too sensible and ambitious to touch this with a barge pole.

Politics is the art of the possible. May was a fool to chose a policy that was not acceptable to a major part of her own party. Mistake 1.

I think even remain supporters are becoming alarmed. You don’t need be be particularly astute to understand what will happen to the Tory vote the first time the government says “we’ve left the EU but we still can’t do ‘X’ because the EU won’t allow us”. It would be electoral suicide. Mistake 2.

But it takes a particular kind of stupid to keep on pursuing a policy that it’s been apparent has been doomed for months. Mistake 3.

May has shown to be lacking in almost every quality needed to be PM. Instead, she’s proven devious, untrustworthy, lacking in vision and totally out of touch with political reality.

Even those who support her in public must be all too aware she’s leading the Tory party and the country over the edge of a cliff.

I cannot think of a more disastrous PM in this century or the last.

Wordsmith

The saving grace in all this is that May may have created a situation where hard Brexit is inevitable. Which, although it will create considerable economic turbulence in the short term, will almost certainly help the UK in the long term.

We will no longer be bound by EU rules so can set whatever levels of tax and bin whatever EU regulations we want and there’s f-all the EU can do.

We can sign whatever trade agreements we want and the EU can’t stop us. Trump will sign one rapidly just to spite the EU.

We can put in a soft border for the ROI and dare the EU to put in a hard border on their side.

The EU is very limited in its responses as it’s bound by WTO rules and could be fined heavily if it differentiates against the UK.

Etc, etc...

May was clearly trying to get us to leave the EU in name only. Due to her utter incompetence, she may actually have rendered the UK totally independent of the EU. The very reverse of her intentions.

Wordsmith

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The saving grace in all this is that May may have created a situation where hard Brexit is inevitable. Which, although it will create considerable economic turbulence in the short term, will almost certainly help the UK in the long term.

We will no longer be bound by EU rules so can set whatever levels of tax and bin whatever EU regulations we want and there’s f-all the EU can do.

We can sign whatever trade agreements we want and the EU can’t stop us. Trump will sign one rapidly just to spite the EU.

We can put in a soft border for the ROI and dare the EU to put in a hard border on their side.

The EU is very limited in its responses as it’s bound by WTO rules and could be fined heavily if it differentiates against the UK.

Etc, etc...

May was clearly trying to get us to leave the EU in name only. Due to her utter incompetence, she may actually have rendered the UK totally independent of the EU. The very reverse of her intentions.

Wordsmith
Never asked but what regulations do you specifically want rid of?

Etc, etc...

Wordsmith
When you say the EU 'could be fined heavily if it differentiates against the UK', what goods, and which countries do you have in mind?

I.E. Which countries deal with the EU on WTO terms and supply goods to the EU which the UK also does?

Has anyone come up with an positive, real life actual benefit of Brexit yet.

Something tangiable, something we can all hang our hats on and say good job that at least we achieved something.
There has to be more to it than we dislike foreigners more than we like our country.
Population growth will slow down when proper controls are put in place to stem Immigration.

Your grand children will get a school place.

You will be able to be seen by a GP

You may just about get a pension. Just.

We will be able to deport nutters, muderers, rapists and religious fanatics.

We will make our own laws

We will have control of our own states

We can rebuild many of our industries, which have been massacred by the EU decimating things like fishing.

Shall I go on?

I can’t give any specific examples but the EU regulations we have implemented contain a mixture of the very useful and the crap. Going through them will be the work of many years. We should progressively decide what we should keep and what we should bin.

Complying with regulations is an overhead for businesses. Stripping back the regulations to the minimum required to do the job reduces costs and makes businesses more competitive.

More competitive businesses generate more jobs, profits and taxes. If the government collects more taxes, it can afford better public services.

Wordsmith

When you say the EU 'could be fined heavily if it differentiates against the UK', what goods, and which countries do you have in mind?

I.E. Which countries deal with the EU on WTO terms and supply goods to the EU which the UK also does?
That question can only be answered if the EU discriminates against the UK after Brexit.

A classic ongoing case is China v the USA. China has appealed Trump’s tariffs to the WTO.

Wordsmith

Are you another one wishing to piss the UK's future welfare up the wall for the sake of an internal Tory feud?
There is a big world of trade out there. The U.K. always was a trading nation - it’s how we built the empire. It’s companies that build economies as business will always find a way of trading. It’s what business does. There may be a slow down, but not much I suspect and we will get over it. Things will be different. Many people fear change. I for one do not - it’s a good thing

Last edited:
How about he new regulations the EU is laying down to regulate my favourite subject into non existence - artificial intelligence.

If you look at China - no regulation.
The US - regulation to encourage investment, use of AI in business and growth.
Europe - currently on a path to placing Europe in an economic boxing ring with its hands tied behind its back.

AI is cited as the fourth industrial revolution. The regulation that is coming out of Brussels will see high growth companies in the U.K. strangled. A huge mistake.

Dear me.
I don't believe at this stage of the game, that the remain voters still actually believe the guff from the Gruniad and the FT.o_O
Why not? You still believe stuff from Ripping Yarns.

How about he new regulations the EU is laying down to regulate my favourite subject into non existence - artificial intelligence.

If you look at China - no regulation.
The US - regulation to encourage investment, use of AI in business and growth.

AI is cited as the fourth industrial revolution. The regulation that is coming out of Brussels will see high growth companies in the U.K. strangled. A huge mistake.
Just sat through a presentation of how AI could be used in my area of IT. General conclusion was that the technology is coming but not yet mature enough.

My company is researching it to make sure we don’t get left behind. The research is being done in the UK at present. If we’re ever forbidden by EU regulations, the research would just be transferred to our American subsidiary.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 252
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 464