Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, fancy that. You are still asserting you knew what you were voting for and can defend your expended shoe leather, I trust?
I knew perfectly well what I was voting for - to leave the EU.

What I did not foresee was that a government lead by May would fail to follow the clearly expressed wishes of the majority of people that voted.

Wordsmith

I knew perfectly well what I was voting for - to leave the EU.

What I did not foresee was that a government lead by May would fail to follow the clearly expressed wishes of the majority of people that voted.

Wordsmith
So are you admitting you are not getting what you knew you were voting for?

Cameron made his position untenable by his hysterical pronouncements in favour of remain. There was no way he could stay in place after the majority of the electorate stuck two fingers up at him.

May (as is now apparent) hedged her bets by remaining near invisible during the campaign so that whatever side won, she’d be persona grata with them.

The Tories elected May because she was seen as a safe pair of hands able to unite the Tory party behind her and negotiate a reasonable Brexit agreement. She has failed disastrously at both.

The reasons far that failure are all to apparent: poor political instincts, over reliance on a cliche of advisors, a career of running away from tough decisions and a lack of vision.

I was initially impressed with her as it looked like she was following a policy of masterly inactivity in order to force the EU to show its hand.

Instead, it became apparent the inactivity was because she didn’t have a clue what to do.

Wordsmith
bloody well said

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Has anyone come up with an positive, real life actual benefit of Brexit yet.

Something tangiable, something we can all hang our hats on and say good job that at least we achieved something.
There has to be more to it than we dislike foreigners more than we like our country.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If she knows what she’s doing, how come she’s on the verge of being forced out as Tory leader? Someone who knows what she’s doing would not be presiding over the current fuster cluck.

Wordsmith
You read that somewhere. Do you see anyone stupid enough to go for that forlorn hope.

I can think of two, and I’m pretty sure one of them is too sensible and ambitious to touch this with a barge pole.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Politics is the art of the possible. May was a fool to chose a policy that was not acceptable to a major part of her own party. Mistake 1.

I think even remain supporters are becoming alarmed. You don’t need be be particularly astute to understand what will happen to the Tory vote the first time the government says “we’ve left the EU but we still can’t do ‘X’ because the EU won’t allow us”. It would be electoral suicide. Mistake 2.

But it takes a particular kind of stupid to keep on pursuing a policy that it’s been apparent has been doomed for months. Mistake 3.

May has shown to be lacking in almost every quality needed to be PM. Instead, she’s proven devious, untrustworthy, lacking in vision and totally out of touch with political reality.

Even those who support her in public must be all too aware she’s leading the Tory party and the country over the edge of a cliff.

I cannot think of a more disastrous PM in this century or the last.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads