Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Reading the on line papers it now appears May is faced with a major revolt from up to 100 Tory MPs over her plans and many Tory party members are also up in arms about it.

The opposition parties must be wondering how they can engineer a Commons vote that will result in a large Tory rebellion - that would be the end of May and lead to calls for a new GE.

I also wonder at what point the chairman of the 1922 committee will have to step in and tell May her position as Tory leader is unsustainable.

May cannot get her solution through parliament without a major rebellion from her back benches. There is no way out for her and every day she clings to power just makes the divisions in the Tory party worse.

Yet she’s hanging on like a limpet and it might take until the end of the summer to force her out, by which time the Tory divisions will have worsened further and there will only be 6 months for a new leader to negotiate a Brexit agreement.

Appointing May as leader has been a disaster for the Tories and for the country.

Wordsmith

Reading the on line papers it now appears May is faced with a major revolt from up to 100 Tory MPs over her plans and many Tory party members are also up in arms about it.

The opposition parties must be wondering how they can engineer a Commons vote that will result in a large Tory rebellion - that would be the end of May and lead to calls for a new GE.

I also wonder at what point the chairman of the 1922 committee will have to step in and tell May her position as Tory leader is unsustainable.

May cannot get her solution through parliament without a major rebellion from her back benches. There is no way out for her and every day she clings to power just makes the divisions in the Tory party worse.

Yet she’s hanging on like a limpet and it might take until the end of the summer to force her out, by which time the Tory divisions will have worsened further and there will only be 6 months for a new leader to negotiate a Brexit agreement.

Appointing May as leader has been a disaster for the Tories and for the country.

Wordsmith

Brexit has always been a Tory tragedy. Where do you think it will end?

Wordsmith
you can see why CMD bailed out sharpish. He must be laughing his socks off - he never liked TM... allegedly

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

Wordsmith

What you mean is Euroscepticism has been a disaster for the Tories and the country.

Whoever leads you out into the post Brexit world will carry this with them and the party which does it will be marked for at least another couple of general elections. I will give you a clue, that party will not be the Labour Party.

And you’ll have trouble finding anyone wanting to replace May. The best thing she can to is to crush the Brexit loonies while she’s got the chance. It’s been nothing but a drain on the party. If she can’t get rid of them at least hoping to outlive them would be an idea.

Brexit has always been a Tory tragedy. Where do you think it will end?
The key is to get May out. A new pro-Brexit leader might then be able to salvage something from the wreckage. Just what form that solution might be is impossible to predict without knowing who the new leader is.

This whole train wreck has been predictable for months - I refer you to my many posts on the subject. That May has put herself in the position she has amazes me. If I could predict this fairly accurately, her advisers should have also been able to do so. The arrogance and stupidity of the woman is breathtaking.

Apart from the damage done to the Brexit process, May has also done immense damage to the democratic process with many leave voters seeing a clear vote to leave the EU effectively subverted by May.

Wordsmith

What you mean is Euroscepticism has been a disaster for the Tories and the country.

Whoever leads you out into the post Brexit world will carry this with them and the party which does it will be marked for at least another couple of general elections. I will give you a clue, that party will not be the Labour Party.

And you’ll have trouble finding anyone wanting to replace May. The best thing she can to is to crush the Brexit loonies while she’s got the chance. It’s been nothing but a drain on the party. If she can’t get rid of them at least hoping to outlive them would be an idea.
Major tried that with his 'put up or shut up' campaign.

Which went well...

The key is to get May out. A new pro-Brexit leader might then be able to salvage something from the wreckage. Just what form that solution might be is impossible to predict without knowing who the new leader is.

This whole train wreck has been predictable for months - I refer you to my many posts on the subject. That May has put herself in the position she has amazes me. If I could predict this fairly accurately, her advisers should have also been able to do so. The arrogance and stupidity of the woman is breathtaking.

Apart from the damage done to the Brexit process, May has also done immense damage to the democratic process with many leave voters seeing a clear vote to leave the EU effectively subverted by May.

Wordsmith
Well, fancy that. You are still asserting you knew what you were voting for and can defend your expended shoe leather, I trust?

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

Wordsmith
Only many posts, there’s been thousands on this. It certainly took you long enough.

A lot of people said it was going to be a complete and utter disaster. Did you listen, no. Yet you claim to have come come to this conclusion some time ago.

Your myriad predictions meant that you had to get one right sometime. And you finally come round to the one which was obvious to a lot of people on here and almost half the people who voted. Brexits not going to work.

Those two, Davis and Gove, they’re the ones with the parachutes. They’ve left you and the rest of the brexiters with sod all.

Theresa May, that woman is not stupid. Those who were fooled by a pack of lies and still can’t see the disaster unfolding in front of them, well that’s a completely different story.

Brexits a stupid idea and it’s not going to work.
Better late than never.
Welcome to the machine.

you can see why CMD bailed out sharpish. He must be laughing his socks off - he never liked TM... allegedly
Cameron made his position untenable by his hysterical pronouncements in favour of remain. There was no way he could stay in place after the majority of the electorate stuck two fingers up at him.

May (as is now apparent) hedged her bets by remaining near invisible during the campaign so that whatever side won, she’d be persona grata with them.

The Tories elected May because she was seen as a safe pair of hands able to unite the Tory party behind her and negotiate a reasonable Brexit agreement. She has failed disastrously at both.

The reasons far that failure are all to apparent: poor political instincts, over reliance on a cliche of advisors, a career of running away from tough decisions and a lack of vision.

I was initially impressed with her as it looked like she was following a policy of masterly inactivity in order to force the EU to show its hand.

Instead, it became apparent the inactivity was because she didn’t have a clue what to do.

Wordsmith