Brexit Phase Two - Trade

You should have read the rest of it...
It does clearly state a 31% decresase in sales for German built cars, 36% reduction in sales from other EU manufacturers. Its quite clear, read it.

And no I don't hope the German car industry rides to the rescue.
I am quite content with WTO rules and no trade deal with the EU. Hard Brexit is perfectly fine with me.
I fully understood the concept of Hard Brexit before the referendum. I voted in full and certain knowledge of the risks.
On balance I think Hard Brexit would be worse for the EU than it would be for the UK. Consequently I hope the EU see's sense, but if they don't then I'm not concerned.

I don't really care how many Mercedes jobs go down the pan. I care even less if VW goes under.....
Last month I spent an hour chewing the fat with the principal of a fairly large
(35 truck), car transporter firm.His opinions were largely formed by talking to car dealerships and national franchises.
His opinion was that the volume as well as the premium manifacturers in Europe will be bricking it at the thought of WTO .
This would put us outside their tariffs ring fence with an immediate fixed cost addition to absorb or pass on. Their rest of world competitors would even under WTO have a fixed cost reduction relative to current EU tarriff barriers.
However he expected the Koreans and Malays and Japanese would be in a rush to agree much more favourable ( free trade type) deals that would give them a huge price advantage over the likes of VAG as well as PSA even at the cheaper volume end of the market.
So I would say that he thought it really could be catastrophicly bad for European volume car makers if” treasure island” leaves with no deal.
This as I have been consistently saying since last September is almost a racing certainty now, the commission are not pragmatists nor particularly shrewd and faced with an existential threat to their very project have used their usual threatening, inflexible playbook. Their interest is not however a Stuttgart carworkers interest, if in the wee quiet moments some of the players are not having second thoughts over coming the c* nt. then they should be!

In my opinion ( and David G’s ) of course.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
But the deal is between the EU and the US! The clue is in the parties involved, as a non-EU state in the future the UK wont necessarily be party to that deal (along with many other international agreements between the EU and non-EU entities)!
I think you'll find that that deal will be struck pretty quickly, because they can't be valid one day and then not valid due to leaving the next, after all the last thing the EU needs is vacancies that were filled by qualified UK citizens and a load of now unemployed EU citizens landing on their shores, sauce for the goose and all that.

You sound like you'll be upset when we find reciprocity about qualifications. I'm sure you're in the punish the UK camp, you'll find comfort on here, there are quite a few like minded individuals.
I dont particularly care either way, as I said I don't live in the UK, my time is spent between 2 EU and 1 non-EU countries, I have UK, Dutch and German quals and I'm working for an international organisation. I am going to enjoy saying I told you so as the consequences of your vote become clear though!

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I dont particularly care either way, as I said I don't live in the UK, my time is spent between 2 EU and 1 non-EU countries, I have both UK, Dutch and German quals and I'm working for an international organisation. I am going to enjoy saying I told you so as the consequences of your vote become clear though!
Just not in English as the word "both" denotes - "used for emphasis to refer to two things, regarded and identified together."

]
Did you read the report?

Its quite clear, Deloitte's reckon that european manufactured cars will lose 650,000 car sales per year after Brexit with no trade deal.

That is sales, not just exports. Mercedes think they will lose an entire manufacturing plant but I doubt you will find reference to that online.
German industry isn't coming to the rescue.

They've been making contingency plans.

We can threaten to blow up everyone else like economic jihadists, but we'll be hurt the most

I think you'll find that that deal will be struck pretty quickly, because they can't be valid one day and then not valid due to leaving the next, after all the last thing the EU needs is vacancies that were filled by qualified UK citizens and a load of now unemployed EU citizens landing on their shores, sauce for the goose and all that.
Possibly but I have yet to hear mention of it, also the comment regarding acquired rights is most likely correct it will be future applicants who will potentially have problems!

I dont particularly care either way, as I said I don't live in the UK, my time is spent between 2 EU and 1 non-EU countries, I have both UK, Dutch and German quals and I'm working for an international organisation. I am going to enjoy saying I told you so as the consequences of your vote become clear though!
Not really an advert for someone who doesn't care either way.
Personally, I'm loving what we did two years ago. It will change the face of politics in the UK forever.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Remainers never talk about past EU transgressions.
Remainers never talk about the present and chaos caused by EU policy.
Remainers never talk about the future of the EU, based on the commissions own direction.
Remainers never talk about democracy.
Remainers never talk about there ability or articulate a cogent argument for why we should belong to the EU.
Remainers having lost the referendum, offer no help and keep shouting "you voted for it, you own it".
Remainers are constantly on alert for the any negative issue they can blow out of context.
Remainers are actually the EUs own useful idiots.

The worst transgression of all for me, is despite all the bile dished out towards there fellow citizens, who voted brexit, how bloody thin skinned are they ?? they act like a child and they amusingly start shouting obscenities or put downs, total hypocrites the lot of them.
Yep, sums up Remains to a man (and woman)

Good for you, I don't have to live with the results, you do!
If you live in the EU and don't think my vote will affect you in someway, read the thread from page 1.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The stance of all Remainiacs - glad that it is now being brought out into the open.

Considering neither you or him did anything remotely academic after leaving school at 14, and it's my industry, yes, straight from the horses mouth.
You know that how? Suppositions again. Not so much the horses mouth, as its arse. Evidence? My arse!

If the EU refuse point blank tomhave any trade deal with the UK unless we return to their fold will UK:

a) overturn the referendum
or
b) leave the EU without any trade deal?

Up to you, tell us which it will be.
You stated that 'leaving has nothing to do with trade'. Then offer a further reply which demonstrates that, in your own opinion, leaving has everything to do with trade!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Two years ago, as we approached the referendum, I thought the EU would be strong enough to take the 'hit'of the UK l;eaving their fold and get on with their pogram. I think I am wrong and that the EU is now heading for a major implosion, out of which will either come a totally different, maybe even democratic, EU or a break up of the EU into trade blocs with the likes of Germany and France desperately holding onto their cash as much as they can. What is clear is that the EU, in its current format, is not at all popular with the populace and that is filterng up through their political elite. Whereas countries seemed to elect politicians who believed in the dream of the EU, they are now being replaced by politicians who seem to have their own citizens to the fore in their thoughts. Totally against the EU mindset.

The Council of Europe this coming week is going to be slightly tense.

The EU, as we know it, is in its death throes.

If you live in the EU and don't think my vote will affect you in someway, read the thread from page 1.
No it won't, I have right of residence in one country regardless, the other EU country is very generous with long term visas for non-EU residents and I am working for an international organisation in a non-EU country! I'm alright no matter what! ;) I'm going to enjoy the next couple of years very much! ;)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You stated that 'leaving has nothing to do with trade'. Then offer a further reply which demonstrates that, in your own opinion, leaving has everything to do with trade!
No, I am trying to get you to answer a straight question - something Remainers seem singularly unable to do!

Come on a) or b) ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 253
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 464