Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
UnBritish :) perhaps if were weren't so British (a Victorian creation), the country wouldn't be going down the toilet.. We need to get back to the buccaneering spirit of our English ancestors, who created an empire in the first place.
As I suggested along those lines right at the start of brexit but was scoffed at by EU acolytes. My feeling stands and it is (passed the) time to show some backbone and actually stand up to the EU negotiators. I realise that Barnier will be put back in his box at the Council of Europe next week as per normal but he is the main block to any agreement as the only word he knows is "No"!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
UnBritish :) perhaps if were weren't so British (a Victorian creation), the country wouldn't be going down the toilet.. We need to get back to the buccaneering spirit of our English ancestors, who created an empire in the first place.
We had that, singeing the King of Spain's beard. The agricultural and industrial revolution. You're about 5 centuries late, pretty modern thinking for a brexiter.

You do realise the buccaneers were pirates. And which part of the planet do you suggest we Empireise?
Gruinard? (Not the paper)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
let's see what happens next month. Poland warns proposed eurozone budget 'could be the END of the EU' Poland warns proposed eurozone budget 'could be the end of the EU' | Daily Mail Online meanwhile. Apparently the EU can do two speed membership...
Eastern Europe is not at risk of collapse when the next recession rolls along because most countries are not eurozone members and have relatively low levels of public debt. However, the eurozone countries who are most likely to default on their debt are in southern Europe - where the EU wants to shift funds to.

It's more stupidity by the EU - the sums of money involved are much too small to make much difference to a country like Italy - the country most likely to fail after Greece. But they're significant enough to ensure that the V4 countries will now vote as a bloc to oppose a number of decision that require QMV. And they'll surely block any decision requiring unanimous assent.

The EU realising it's got an unfixable problem and floundering around in a vain hope to do so.

Wordsmith

D

Deleted 154930

We had that, singeing the King of Spain's beard. The agricultural and industrial revolution. You're about 5 centuries late, pretty modern thinking for a brexiter.

You do realise the buccaneers were pirates. And which part of the planet do you suggest we Empireise?
Gruinard? (Not the paper)
Buccaneers weren't necessarily pirates and its a state of mind.. Free people seizing control of a chaotic world and moulding it to our shape, all that agricultural and industrial revolution reflected some of the spirit, that Britain is an exceptional place and having some pride in who we are.

Debating stuff between us is fine, that's democracy. What I get sick and tired of is hearing constant snivelery and whining, from those who rule us. They have come to believe that co-operation is the magic ingredient and it hasn't worked, the country has gone backwards. Maybe as auld yin says, we go front foot and start to drive the narrative.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As I suggested along those lines right at the start of brexit but was scoffed at by EU acolytes. My feeling stands and it is (passed the) time to show some backbone and actually stand up to the EU negotiators. I realise that Barnier will be put back in his box at the Council of Europe next week as per normal but he is the main block to any agreement as the only word he knows is "No"!

There are rules, the European Union runs by rules. We chose to leave, becoming a third country.

They'd be doing us a favour if they put Barnier back in his box. But he keeps popping up and telling us where we are going wrong. He's even telling us how we can sort it out.

That doesn't sound like a man under pressure. Yet considering Davis has only actually met him three times (and threatened to resign five times) it's not backbone our negotiators need it's a grip on reality.

Buccaneers weren't necessarily pirates and its a state of mind.. Free people seizing control of a chaotic world and moulding it to our shape, all that agricultural and industrial revolution reflected some of the spirit, that Britain is an exceptional place and having some pride in who we are.

Debating stuff between us is fine, that's democracy. What I get sick and tired of is hearing constant snivelery and whining, from those who rule us. They have come to believe that co-operation is the magic ingredient and it hasn't worked, the country has gone backwards. Maybe as auld yin says, we go front foot and start to drive the narrative.
Who's we?

Aren't you a Russian citizen?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And....

Stop being 'defeatist' about Brexit and be inspired by Trump, Britons told by US ambassador
[Theresa May should take “inspiration” from Donald Trump in the Brexit negotiations and cast off Britain's "defeatist" attitude, according to the US ambassador to the UK.

Interviewed for a new Channel 4 documentary, Woody Johnsonquestioned why the UK was "so nervous" about the prospects of leaving the EU, a process that in his view need not present a "major challenge".

His comments come soon after Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, told a group of Tory donors that if Donald Trump was in charge of Brexit “actually you might get somewhere”.
Hear, hear....

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Eastern Europe is not at risk of collapse when the next recession rolls along because most countries are not eurozone members and have relatively low levels of public debt. However, the eurozone countries who are most likely to default on their debt are in southern Europe - where the EU wants to shift funds to.

It's more stupidity by the EU - the sums of money involved are much too small to make much difference to a country like Italy - the country most likely to fail after Greece. But they're significant enough to ensure that the V4 countries will now vote as a bloc to oppose a number of decision that require QMV. And they'll surely block any decision requiring unanimous assent.

The EU realising it's got an unfixable problem and floundering around in a vain hope to do so.

Wordsmith
The EU will pass resolution after resolution, none of which will be designed to help or sort the problem but to use @Brotherton Lads favourite phrase, to kick the can down the road. A favourite tactic of the EU when things are not going to the Master Plan.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if a resolution is passed soon which means that the UK will be responsible for handing over huge sums of money before Brexit Day!

A meltdown of the EU might just be the catalyst needed to enforce meaningful (another lovely brexit phrase) reform! Just as long as it does not destroy the whole of course!.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Right let's do that. Who do you suggest we invade first and with what?

There's auld yin he can't even get a grip on reality never mind his own country. So he's hardly likely to be leading the charge.

Snivelry I like that. One one hand the Eu is a collection of bullying tyrants who won't let us do as we want and stay up late. Or they are an economic basket case.
They can't be both.
You could do worse than google Simon Mann. If you're intentions are stupid.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The EU will pass resolution after resolution, none of which will be designed to help or sort the problem but to use @Brotherton Lads favourite phrase, to kick the can down the road. A favourite tactic of the EU when things are not going to the Master Plan.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if a resolution is passed soon which means that the UK will be responsible for handing over huge sums of money before Brexit Day!

A meltdown of the EU might just be the catalyst needed to enforce meaningful (another lovely brexit phrase) reform! Just as long as it does not destroy the whole of course!.
Your meds are kicking in early this morning.
How can they demand more money. All they can ask for is what we've signed up and agreed to. You know, like stuff they're entitled to.

You'll be seeing little green men next.

Your meds are kicking in early this morning.
How can they demand more money. All they can ask for is what we've signed up and agreed to. You know, like stuff they're entitled to.

You'll be seeing little green men next.
@Auld-Yin and his victim complex fills me with sadness for him.

And if you don't get the answer you want just re-run the referendum while informing people that this will continue until the "correct" result is reached. The good people of Ireland, not wanting neverendums, vote for the government!

Certainly a practice that is unenviable and one I am glad the UK is rejecting, despite the hard work of Remainiacs.
Do you know how many referendums we have had about various aspects of abortion....6 since 1983..

6 on tweaking one single aspect of the Constitution...

It's everybody else's fault we're in this mess. I'm just checking, this really is a mess and we aren't really winning are we?
If only we could collectively wake up in the shower like Bobby Ewing and the last 2 years is all a disturbing dream.

He gets the name of your country, Southern Ireland, perfectly correct as that is how we see you. How we, in the UK call your country is a matter for us, not you, so butt out. Remember we call Deutschland, Germany, and the Netherlands, Holland so you are not being picked on.

Get that Irish chip off your shoulder you Southern Irish wimp!
No,.I'm actually in the West...you upper Northern English can't hack geography that's not our issue.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 378
S11Blade Brexit 475
B Medals 22