Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Do you actually read any of the links you post? Or do you simply see something about the EU and automatically post it because you think it is negative towards the EU?
It isn't, by the way.
you seem to be confused. The link is pro-EU. I'm querying it's basic premise, which is 'leaving the EU will remove controls over air pollution'. Which don't seem to be effective in the first place. I thought you were better than this. Don't start creeping up the @Baglock scale of stupid. Too much cerveza in the British bar last night?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The EU and by extension there remainer cheerleaders, have a good point, that in order to deal with Globalisation, Technological changes, climate and population movement, there is a need for a larger entity to protect us. But, the Orwellian nature of the project should be anathema, to anyone who claims to be a democrat, or a libertarian, remainers cannot simply define the debate as one entirely focused on the economy.
Just about to fall foul of Goodwin's law, but that was the ultimate aim of a chap called Hitler. He saw Germany as lacking the resources to be a truly global power to rival the US and the then British Empire, so tried to grab the land and resources to do so.

It's also the driving force (in a much more benign way) for a United States of Europe. The founders of the EU saw a USE as having the ability to financially and industrially challenge the US, China and the old USSR. Only the USE seems to have become stuck in a half way state. And - I suspect - like the old USSR, will gradually disintegrate in the future.

In the meantime, Trump, aware of the threat from China, is gearing up to use trade barriers to restrict China's economic growth and prevent it overtaking the US as the worlds superpower in 20 - 30 years time.

Wordsmith

D

Deleted 154930

Just about to fall foul of Goodwin's law, but that was the ultimate aim of a chap called Hitler. He saw Germany as lacking the resources to be a truly global power to rival the US and the then British Empire, so tried to grab the land and resources to do so.

It's also the driving force (in a much more benign way) for a United States of Europe. The founders of the EU saw a USE as having the ability to financially and industrially challenge the US, China and the old USSR. Only the USE seems to have become stuck in a half way state. And - I suspect - like the old USSR, will gradually disintegrate in the future.

In the meantime, Trump, aware of the threat from China, is gearing up to use trade barriers to restrict China's economic growth and prevent it overtaking the US as the worlds superpower in 20 - 30 years time.

Wordsmith
Exactly; the EU relies on fear for its very existence and far from bringing peace to Europe, they will inevitably rip it apart.

The insanity continues... just a handful of idiots intend to destroy the country without any valid reasons. Ignoring all the warning signs, they should be hanged before this fiasco goes any further.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
not yet. The tsunami is due in Mar 2019. Followed by earth quakes, a meteorite and a plague of locusts... And a budget of austerity to finish off the survivors. :rofl:
You forgot global nuclear apocalypse!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Those sound like the same sentiments being voiced in the European domestic channels.
May's overseeing of the negotiations/strategy have been less than competent. She should have put preparations in place for a hard Brexit and then asked the EU to give her a deal to prevent that hard Brexit. As discussed earlier, that was a policy both the Remain and Brexit wings of the party could have united around.

And Barnier/Junker overestimated May's weakness and thought Brexit could be halted by bulling her into a position where attempts to get Brexit through parliament failed.

I suspect both sides are now thinking "oh, f--k, how did we get into this mess".

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Like May, Juncker and Barnier have their problems. Having decided to go in hard by weaponising the NI border, rejecting all May's suggestions and trying to engineer a situation where 'we leave in name only', their testicles will be first on the chopping block if that negotiating strategy is seen to be contributing to a hard Brexit, an interruption in trade and resulting job losses in the 27 member states.

(May will face similar recriminations in the UK).

As such, I suspect they're privately now thinking "why weren't we more flexible and less harsh in the negotiations?"

Wordsmith

That's them. After two years we've seen no sign of Barnier being put back in his box. (As you regularly wish for).

Barnier and Juncker have probably spent more time on the Irish border than Davis and Rees Mogg. Despite no sign of the promised white paper and Europe have already said that once again 'there has been no substantial progress on the Irish border backstop'.

It's not as if they keep moving it, nobody's weaponising the Irish border. Brexiters wanted to take back control of it. There's your big chance. Do something concrete and positive.

The promised white paper not only has to satisfy Europe, but the ERG upwards and have enough in it to stop David Davis (threatening to) resign again.

What's it going to be this time, the European association agreement? Common trade equivalency?

All weasel words to remain in the customs union by pretending we aren't.
How much are we paying not to be in Europe after next March. (I'm sorry it's not 50. Years hence, but it should be possible to work out)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I have recently come across a Mark Twain quote which I feel is totally appropriate for @Baglock I hope he appreciates it:

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.

The more recent term for that is the Dunning Kruger effect. Which seems to effectively describe wordsmith as it became increasIngly clear he had no idea what cognitive dissonance was actually about.
Hope that helps

I do admire your definition of the word winning. Lurching from near defeat to near defeat supported only by the Protestant version of the Taliban is hardly winning.

It's just a pause to catch your breath until the next one,

Do you actually read any of the links you post? Or do you simply see something about the EU and automatically post it because you think it is negative towards the EU?
It isn't, by the way.
@exbleep can you just confirm that you misunderstood what was going on. I'm just ensuring you haven't caught the dreaded '@Baglock' which will require you to cure yourself either by fire or by talking to @Higgs_bosun for a day about economics. I just want to know if I should send the firelighters.