Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Speak for yourself, having worked alongside Americans in the services and as a civilian I've never viewed them as anything other than clever. Different but that's all.

Didn't stop them having to go to Japan to learn what they'd taught the Japanese.

Harley Davison are like Morgan but bigger obviously, a niche product which doesn't always act like any other product in the market. If there are a lot of European buyers they'll suffer. There are. Mainly chunky buggers too big for lycra.....
You own a Harley? Say it ain't so, you seemed a slim dude last time I met you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yep. One company, several factories and a number of departments.

There is a difference between dumping and fair competition. You should not be allowed to sell below the cost price of your product and tariffs should be put in place to prevent that.

If, however, your price is low because you have an efficient manufacturing process, that is fair competition and should be allowed.

The Chinese have been involved in dumping for years. That has destroyed western jobs, with those jobs exported to China.

Do you agree with China destroying western jobs through unfair and sometimes illegal competitive practices?

Wordsmith
No (answer to question in your last sentence)

But companies sell products below cost for loads of reasons. Is that unfair?

I am against dumping, but one mans dumping is another mans competitive edge.

Buy low, sell high, you might be onto something there. Amazing no-one thought of it before.

And yes you are clearly the only one who has run a business, what with you being the cream of the cleverest 52% and all. The rest of us can only look up in awe.
Oh dear.

My business is rubbish really. But it bumps along. Nice bite by the way.

No (answer to question in your last sentence)

But companies sell products below cost for loads of reasons. Is that unfair?

I am against dumping, but one mans dumping is another mans competitive edge.
Tesco sell products at a loss as a 'loss leader' to attract people into their supermarkets. The loss leader items are a small percentage of the products on sale (bread, milk, sausages and so on) and the rest of the products are at full market price.

China deliberately dumps (sells products below production cost) as a state sponsored strategy to drive western manufacturers out of business - with the corresponding loss of jobs.

There is a clear difference between the two.

Wordsmith

Tesco sell products at a loss as a 'loss leader' to attract people into their supermarkets. The loss leader items are a small percentage of the products on sale (bread, milk, sausages and so on) and the rest of the products are at full market price.

China deliberately dumps (sells products below production cost) as a state sponsored strategy to drive western manufacturers out of business - with the corresponding loss of jobs.

There is a clear difference between the two.

Wordsmith
not to a remainer. It's just globalism part of the life in the global village. Like, er, terrorism and backwards practices like child rape.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
not to a remainer. It's just globalism part of the life in the global village. Like, er, terrorism and backwards practices like child rape.

I’d be interested in where anyone in here favourably compared the three. But if fantasy keeps your mind of how this Brexit victory’s going who are we to complain.

As I've said before, it's huff and puff by the remainers trying to get May to cave in to pressure.

The Brexit camp have been very quiet of late and I suspect May has been privately told if she backs down a leadership challenge will result. As such, the Brexit camp have May doing their bidding and have no need to slap her around in public.

The remain camp have also been complaining the the whips have been using the 'dark arts', meaning that a number of the prominent remainers have been told that opposing May will mean their remaining career as a Tory MP will be "nasty, brutish and short".

Wordsmith

D

Deleted 154930

The UK Governments free market, euro tariff, sod humanity, asset stripping, sell the kitchen sink to foreigners economic model, has beggared, most of this once great country, to the financial delight of the City. I have a lot of sympathy for remainers, who make the point that the EU is NOT to blame, for many of our troubles.

But, they should also recognise, that the EU was at the heart of some of them. If our economic model can't change, we may as well join the rat race, than sitting on the sidelines inside the EU. Whether the UK Government is prepared to play hard ball with the ROW, I am unconvinced, based on brexit negotiations.

The UK Governments free market, euro tariff, sod humanity, asset stripping, sell the kitchen sink to foreigners economic model, has beggared, most of this once great country, to the financial delight of the City. I have a lot of sympathy for remainers, who make the point that the EU is NOT to blame, for many of our troubles.

But, they should also recognise, that the EU was at the heart of some of them. If our economic model can't change, we may as well join the rat race, than sitting on the sidelines inside the EU. Whether the UK Government is prepared to play hard ball with the ROW, I am unconvinced, based on brexit negotiations.
You'd have us walk away faster than you can say Skipral

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 252
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 464