Brexit Phase Two - Trade

so if we can sort out deals with France, Belgium, and now, Holland... Why is the EU needed again? Just f*ck it off and let every country, in the world, make deals or not as they see fit. Obviously the drawback is no trough for failed politicos.
Collective clout you idiot

How would the UK, alone, address Chinese dumping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe the UK should do what I do. Buy cheaper steel, make stuff out of it then sell that stuff on on the open market, either at lower cost or greater profit depending on how I feel.

Or when (like I do) a customer comes along who wants UK sourced steel, pay the (small) extra premuin and pass that additional cost on to the (happy) customer.

Have any of you lot actually run any kind of business?

Mostly through the Eu which allows us to trade by virtue of the fact that we 're in the Eu. After Brexit we have to completely redo all these trade deals which are already sitting there.

There's something like 36 non Eu trade deals out there, they'll all have to be reshot.

Sorry I didn't realise you valued quantity in an answer
I do value a reasoned argument, thank you.

However

The EU allows us to trade by virtue of the fact that we are in the EU?

However did we manage before?

It's not necessarily what they're hitting, it's where they are hitting it. A lot of these tariffs are aimed at massive main employers in some targeted states. These are apparently getting hit because the senators will then put pressure on Trump to discontinue the tariffs on European goods.

The Harley Davidson sanctions will hurt, Harley's already in trouble. They have given this some thought.
It's not just 'Yankee go home' and burning flags.
Harley Davison have been in trouble for as long as I can remember. I suspect that the Americans, who are a lot cleverer than we Europeans give them credit for, know exactly what they are doing.

Maybe the UK should do what I do. Buy cheaper steel, make stuff out of it then sell that stuff on on the open market, either at lower cost or greater profit depending on how I feel.

Or when (like I do) a customer comes along who wants UK sourced steel, pay the (small) extra premuin and pass that additional cost on to the (happy) customer.

FYI, China can build stuff from steel at a cheaper price due to subsidies and sweatshop practices.

Throwing open our market to bigger protectionist ones will simply cause mass unemployment and tank the economy

FYI, China can build stuff from steel at a cheaper price due to subsidies and sweatshop practices.

Throwing open our market to bigger protectionist ones will simply cause mass unemployment and tank the economy
Not what my local laser cutting company boss says.

He is now beating the Chinese on price. The reality is that the rising standard of living in China means one man operating a machine cutting hundreds of thousands of components cost pretty much the same here or there. Add in the transport costs and all of a sudden my local man is competitive once more.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I do value a reasoned argument, thank you.

However

The EU allows us to trade by virtue of the fact that we are in the EU?

However did we manage before?

Of course we managed before, the problem was despite the commonwealth, we weren't mananaging very well. Hence IMF bailouts and being known as 'the sick man of Europe'

We've done a lot better since being in having (two years ago) we were the fastest growth in the G7 with low inflation. Now we've the slowest growth and the highest inflation.

Our non Europe deals with over 30 other countries were put through by virtue of the fact we were already in the eu.
( Im not sure if that includes KSA who we do a lot of business with)

That's all going to have to be needlessly renegotiated. I really don't see the point.

Thanks to Mays panic button, money tree gift to the NHS, which she attempted to tell us was a Brexit benefit.

Sky did a financial work out which I can't find. To save something like 6bn it's going to cost us 22bn, with no appreciable benefit .
Two years into this and no brexiter is able to give anyone an upside to Brexit.

Anyway thanks for the "dumb" button @Baglock. I am just off to do some more engineering now. What are you up to for the next few hours?
Probably working bottles up his hoop. The brain dead heap.

And it hasn't crossed your mind as to why brexiters and ukippers haven't been quoting Churchill like he's going out of style (which he did in 1945)

'We cannot aim at anything less than the Union of Europe as a whole, and we look forward with confidence to the day when that union will be achieved'.
That was one of his. I disagree with it, but that's pointless as he's dead.
he also said of Europe but not in it...

And it hasn't crossed your mind as to why brexiters and ukippers haven't been quoting Churchill like he's going out of style (which he did in 1945)

'We cannot aim at anything less than the Union of Europe as a whole, and we look forward with confidence to the day when that union will be achieved'.
That was one of his. I disagree with it, but that's pointless as he's dead.
Up on your Churchill quotes are you?
Tired Tech beat me to it.

Of course we managed before, the problem was despite the commonwealth, we weren't mananaging very well. Hence IMF bailouts and being known as 'the sick man of Europe'
Sick man of Europe? You do know the main reason why, don't you? The more you post, the more I find you a poster of rubbish.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Yep. One company, several factories and a number of departments.

There is a difference between dumping and fair competition. You should not be allowed to sell below the cost price of your product and tariffs should be put in place to prevent that.

If, however, your price is low because you have an efficient manufacturing process, that is fair competition and should be allowed.

The Chinese have been involved in dumping for years. That has destroyed western jobs, with those jobs exported to China.

Do you agree with China destroying western jobs through unfair and sometimes illegal competitive practices?

Wordsmith