Brexit Phase Two - Trade

How can we not compete? Brand U.K. is strong and we have some very highly effective industry and service sectors.

There’s a reason why such a small country is still in the G7.
Brand UK is ‘exceptional’ even

Italy and Canada are also both in the G7. Are their brands inferior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're the only floor mopper I know of on this site, mate. In betwix your spells programming in html.
Even then, he held the mop upside down and fell in love with it.

Are you drinking this morning?
You appear to have a thing about drinking. Are you on the scrounge for an empty Budweiser bottle?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Have you never heard of competition then?

It's good for the consumer and sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Yes, competition's one thing. No ones complaining about that but not against increasing institutionalised protectionism.

It's a bit like the difference between Premiership football and the English football team.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And not being able to address the main reason behind the US tariffs which are China dumping steel on the market.
China is a state run economy and has been exploiting that for three decades to drive western manufacturers out of business. Basically they will heavily subsidise an industry sector and dump products on the market well below market cost. This drives western manufacturers in that sector out of business. The Chinese then raise their prices to close to the market norm and move on to targeting the next market sector.

(As an example of that, when I worked in the tungsten industry years ago, I could buy the finished parts out of China cheaper than the power to make them. Complaints to the then Department of Trade and Industry had f-all effect).

China is using its financial muscle to build up its military muscle - hence it efforts to dominate the China Sea by building artificial islands and trying to intimidate the USN from sailing through the area. I expect the Chinese to become increasingly assertive as they continue to build up their military power.

By imposing tariffs on China, Trump is cutting back on their financial muscle and hence their ability to continue to build up their military muscle. Which, if you think about it, is a sensible policy. The US is far less hostile to our long term interests than China and I'd rather they remained the dominant superpower.

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
but we trade already with loads of non EU countries smoothly and without drama, I do not see a maelstrom regarding non EU business.

so I don't buy your one riposte I fear.
Mostly through the Eu which allows us to trade by virtue of the fact that we 're in the Eu. After Brexit we have to completely redo all these trade deals which are already sitting there.

There's something like 36 non Eu trade deals out there, they'll all have to be reshot.

Sorry I didn't realise you valued quantity in an answer

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
EU sacrifice Italy and Greece to save Merkel EU sacrifice Italy and Greece to save Merkel | Daily Mail Online Germany and France throw Greece and Italy under the immigration bus. And the staggering incompetence of the EU immigration plan is laid bare.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....
'France and Germany will ensure that those who are registered in a Schengen zone country can be taken back as quickly as possible to the country where they have been registered,' he said, vowing to achieve this through bilateral and multinational agreements.
Does this mean France will return all the people at Calais, etc, trying to make it over the channel to the UK back to the point that they first entered the EU?

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
How can we not compete? Brand U.K. is strong and we have some very highly effective industry and service sectors.

There’s a reason why such a small country is still in the G7.
Pity we aren't where we were two years ago and now we're sitting with slowest growth and highest inflation. Apparently that's quite difficult to do according to some economic bods.

surely someone of his calibre would be seeking something along the lines of a bottle of more substance. 3litre bottle of vodka?
Wouldn't be much left per capita once shared amongst all his persona.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 339
S11Blade Brexit 474
B Medals 22