Brexit Phase Two - Trade

The 1922 agreement covers people, not goods or services and since 1922, Irish Citizens also benefit from additional rights as EU citizens. This needs to be safeguarded.
not quite. If the goods are travelling as part of the EU regimes Yes. If the goods are travelling with the passenger and they require a customs service, they can apply for it. Since Dublin flights are not specifically covered...... you can guess what happens. Irish citizens benefit from the EU concessions to the Irish conferred by the membership of the EU, not by the EU itself irrespective of claims. We've been through this.

not quite. If the goods are travelling as part of the EU regimes Yes. If the goods are travelling with the passenger and they require a customs service, they can apply for it. Since Dublin flights are not specifically covered...... you can guess what happens. Irish citizens benefit from the EU concessions to the Irish conferred by the membership of the EU, not by the EU itself irrespective of claims. We've been through this.
I don’t disagree. What’s not clear is how this will be continued post Brexit.

@Good CO , the Irish border qn is an EU problem. When we leave we shall go back to the terms of the 1922 agreement and all we have to do is stick to that. If the EU wants to control what comes and goes into an from the RoI, then the EU can install whatever it likes ON EU SOIL, AT EU EXPENSE. We shall be keeping to our legal responsibilities and it will be the RoI which is in breach. I do not see why we are in any way responsible for doing anything. We are being altogether too wet about his - we should stick it to the EU and tell the EU to lump it.
beats head off nearest table.....

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
skid, you still don't get it. It's cumulatively a problem for us for my lifetime. Where does Briain fit? To what extent has any country given up it's rights to a centralised Government that can do what it says it can. The answer is nowhere. Nothing has been harmonised apart from how much tax can be avoided. There no centralised health, police, border control, education system let alone agricultural policy and that 30 years after we signed up to the concept at Maastricht. Now we've got a problem with the Dutch with regard to CFP. sirRichard Dyson last night was saying no farmers can operate WITHOUT subsidies because of the level playing field. This re In forces my view together with more subsidies for retail businesses in terms of rate relief, that we've forgotten how business works. It's easier to depend on the tax payer.

Ah Leo, there’s a lot I don’t get. A referendum run on lies, deceit, bigotry and its main selling points had nothing to do with the Eu.
It had more to do with dislike of foreigners and dissatisfaction at austerity and the govt.

Meaningless bullshit about taking back control, (of what) the fact that we can’t work out what to do with the one border we’ve got should speak volumes.

And you think our farmers are just going to have to dig deeper and work harder to feed everyone, without subsidies. Someone’s in for a surprise it’s probably going to be those on limited income at the checkout.

But what do we care we’ve managed to create the economic oddity of low growth and high inflation.

We’ve high employment, low tax take and subsidise private employers to take part time workers on.

I’m not fearful or unpatriotic, I am averse to stupid. And this reeks of stupid. Since the referendum we’ve gone from the top to the bottom of the G7.
And that’s not because the Dutch don’t like us.

Both sides made shit up before the vote. It wasn't confined to the Brexit side. Remember Osborne saying we'd need an emergency budget if we votes for Brexit.

As I've said before, the politicians and commentators on both sides of the argument did the country a disservice. Instead of an informed debate of the pros and cons of Brexit, we got a war of soundbites.

Fortunately most people I met ion the doorstep were doing their best to wade through the BS put by both sides and come to an reasonably informed decision.

Wordsmith
Remember me saying he was wrong to use the worst case examples?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Balls, look back. While the nhs got a 4% pa rise, which it did for years there weren’t winter crises or bed shortages.
Once they started quoting money ( which sounded a lot and wasn’t 4%) they started getting into trouble.

Even today’s May statement promised another 7 years of underfunding. And I’ve heard Hunt ascribe nhs money as a mix of Brexit and growth money.

Despite the fact that someone’s just listed next years growth as downwards and that’s from the current low standpoint.
We probably didn't have half the world's freeloaders here either.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
How many times do you have to be told that 'Brexit in name only' would destroy the Tory party and further widen the divided between politicians and people in this country?

The Rubicon has been crossed and there is no turning back.

Wordsmith

Oh yes there is.....I think reality is slowly creeping in as to what sort of a disaster we’re looking at.
Why do you think our current pm is still our current pm?.

If there was the slightest chance of this working, the woman would be a footnote. A speed bump on the road to Brexit.

Bluntly, there wasn't one.

The issue was 'weaponised' by the EU in an attempt to force concessions out of May. It was basically a relatively minor problem that could have been easily resolved with goodwill on both sides. Instead the EU booted back a number of ideas that could have been modified a bit in order to come up with a workable solution. Now both sides have locked themselves into a position where an impasse seems inevitable.

I suspect that if we hard Brexit, this will come back to haunt the EU. In the event of a hard Brexit, the UK could put whatever border controls it like on its side - i.e. a soft border. The EU would then have to insist on the ROI putting a hard border in place on their side, causing a mini-recession in the Republic in the process. Guaranteed to make the EU popular in the ROI.

Wordsmith
Doesn’t the WTO require countries to have border controls ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Got any stats to back up your prejudices?

In other news,

PMTM a day after claiming brexit dividend will pay for NHS funding increase, confirms that it's going to be funded by tax increases after all

Tax rise to pay for NHS boost - PM

Do you have a link to the original announcement? She clearly stated it would be funded by a mix of Brexit dividend, tax and borrowing. How much each one will be is in question, but she never said it would be just a Brexit dividend that would fund it.

Do you have a link to the original announcement? She clearly stated it would be funded by a mix of Brexit dividend, tax and borrowing. How much each one will be is in question, but she never said it would be just a Brexit dividend that would fund it.

That's very sensible of her.

PM speech on the NHS: 18 June 2018

She said that there would be a dividend.

That was a clear cut lie

She said that there would be a dividend.

That was a clear cut lie

You could see how uncomfortable she was with saying that in yesterday's Andrew Marr interview He seemed to deliberately avoid asking too many searching questions at that point.

You could see how uncomfortable she was with saying that in yesterday's Andrew Marr interview He seemed to deliberately avoid asking too many searching questions at that point.
I thought he gave her an easy time.

He must've had stats from the myriad of studies showing that the loss in taxes, spending on opt ins, post brexit infrastructure etc will wipe out the membership fee saved. A net loss.

Perhaps Marr is happy for her to lurch on for the time being

Many I feel took the decision based on what they felt. That of course didn't stop the remainers being name callers against those who voted leave.

That said, the arguments for staying in just don't stack up. For the very thing you say above. Nobody knows the consequences of leaving, but similarly no-one knows the consequences for staying. It's just assumed that staying will be good... and easier.
There has been, of course, no name calling from those supporting Brexit. Nor judges being described as 'enemies of the state' for applying UK law.

My T Hunter (Traitor)

Latest Threads