Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week is the ping pong of the EU Withdrawal Bill through the Lords and then back to the Commons, where I expect those rebels who felt they could trust the PM may have something to say. Next month has both the Customs and the Trade Bill.

I think you may be on to something, though it's likely to be a disappointment for you.
There's nothing contentious in the Customs bit, it merely reverts to CEMA 79 and the lead is HMRC as approved by CRCA05. Whether an IR based organisation is up to the requirements of ports/Freight/passenger work of the organisation it subsumed is another matter. From memory it didn't fit well. So down the line the Customs bit may well be hived off as a stand alone as it was before the irriots of the House of commons interfered with things they never understood. All that work undone, all that money wasted- oh and people will start getting caught again. Plus ca change eh?

There's nothing contentious in the Customs bit, it merely reverts to CEMA 79 and the lead is HMRC as approved by CRCA05. Whether an IR based organisation is up to the requirements of ports/Freight/passenger work of the organisation it subsumed is another matter. From memory it didn't fit well. So down the line the Customs bit may well be hived off as a stand alone as it was before the irriots of the House of commons interfered with things they never understood. All that work undone, all that money wasted- oh and people will start getting caught again. Plus ca change eh?
You'll learn about the contentious matters next month, then.

Then as a manager why was he serving them? My local spoons is mainly families with young children enjoying a decent (cheap) full breakfast with milk or pure juice. Parents/Granparents/Uncles,Aunties etc enjoying the same with endless fresh coffees from a bean fed machine.
Same at lunchtime families enjoying a good cooked meal (Thursday Curry my fav) again kids on juices. Adults on a cheap beer (John Smiths my choice) or wine.
Not once have I seen a spoons filled with Alcholics,as a decent manager knows his patrons are mainly families and would refuse entry to the Alcholics.
Well done spoons on getting rid of overrated Euorpean chemical lager and replacing with local brewed UK beers,wines,spirits.
Off to spoons later for a snack,endless coffee and maybe a pint (not Litre) of Smiths
His pub was in a town centre and not many families went there when MaccyD's was 2 minutes walk away. Horses for courses and all that.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems the Govt's proposed compromise amendment to the EU Withdrawal Bill isn't going to be acceptable.

Government publishes amendment to EU withdrawal bill - Politics live

Tory rebels reject May's Brexit compromise
May is twisting and turning in order to survive from day to day. Having angered the Tory rebels by apparent bad faith, they may just hand her a Commons defeat by way of revenge. Which would probably mark the end of her time as leader of the Tory party.

The difficulty with running away from problems (or putting a sticking plaster over them) is that the problems just build in magnitude. Had May done the obvious from the start of the negotiations:
  • Prepare seriously for a hard Brexit.
  • Tell the EU 'no deal is better than a bad deal' and what are you going to offer to avoid a hard Brexit?
She could have kept both wings of the party happy. She could have told the Brexit wing that she was serious about walking away if she wasn't offered a decent deal and the 'remain' wing that the chances of getting a deal that preserved access to the single market and much of the better parts of the EU was increased by hard-nosed negotiating tactics.

Instead she's p*ssed off both wings of the party by running away from problems and letting bigger ones build up.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Listening to Jacob Rees-Mogg is an illustration. Listen to how much of his opposition to the EU is purely emotive (frequent use of the word "kow-tow", "vassal", "fear", "beg") and how little is factual. How much of his support is jingoism (frequent use of "control", "freedom", "responsibility") and how little is detail. Classy rhetoric, designed to sound good enough swing a vote in a debating chamber - because for him that's what counts. Short term win and personal gain, not long term benefits for the wider nation. Lots of emotion, enough meaningless numbers to sound good, but no coherent plan.
As opposed to project Fear by the remain camp? Who'd never use emotive terms....

For the record, JRM is probably one of the sharpest intellects in the Commons and is capable of far more reasoned analysis - as you can see in some of his more thoughtful newspaper articles. What JRM says is dependent on what sector of the public he is aiming his comments at: you'll either get soundbites or reasoned analysis depending on the audience.

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As opposed to project Fear by the remain camp? Who'd never use emotive terms....

For the record, JRM is probably one of the sharpest intellects in the Commons and is capable of far more reasoned analysis - as you can see in some of his more thoughtful newspaper articles. What JRM says is dependent on what sector of the public he is aiming his comments at: you'll either get soundbites or reasoned analysis depending on the audience.

Wordsmith
You've obviously slept through Hilary Benn, Dominic Grieve and Ken Clarke. Somebody somewhere described JRM as a stupid persons idea of what a posh smart man looks like.
That just about sums him up.

Ken Clarke QC, (look at his career) 'deplores how the public had been assured before the European referendum that britains trading relationships would be relatively unchanged after Brexit'
How's that looking

Like your post above about the Poles?
Glad it was nothing to do with immigration, then.
No it was an actual example of how our system was working to piss off many of our working class, to debunk GB’s lazy assertion.
A lack of understanding of this contributed to remain loosing and its acolytes
Bewilderment as to why they weren’t listened too when they said remaining was the only true path,
Thread drift over.

Do Tramps drink champagne? Möet perhaps, but nothing palatable surely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd be surprised.....depends on location. My nephew used to run the 'spoons in the centre of Oxford, very educated class of single wino with a reasonable pension.

An ex colleague of mine, good lad and a born again 12 stepper now, was on 8 bottles of wine a day and all of the usual shit, living on the streets. Still had and has a 200K+ pension portfolio from his time in the city.

You've obviously slept through Hilary Benn, Dominic Grieve and Ken Clarke. Somebody somewhere described JRM as a stupid persons idea of what a posh smart man looks like.

Ken Clarke QC, (look at his career) 'deplores how the public had been assured before the European referendum that britains trading relationships would be relatively unchanged after Brexit'
How's that looking
A much more agressive negotiating position and it would be much nearer to that ideal than we presently are.

A friend of mine was a Wetherspoons manager for a number of years. He freely admitted that the vast majority of his clientele were alcoholics with a preference for strong beer.
as per my previous, my nephew and his Mrs both manage for them. It's very dependent on location, they have winos, shoppers lunch times are a big earner as are after works meals followed by young uns tanking up before clubbing.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
A much more agressive negotiating position and it would be much nearer to that ideal than we presently are.
Nothing to say about trade then. But tell me this aggressive negotiating position. How do you suggest we do this?
(I'm away for second breakfast, back in a minute or two)
Take your time.

Watched Grieve last night. Odious, mealy mouthed weasel. Drivelled on and on, finished up saying he believed in democracy! Oakeshott squared him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 1409
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138