Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I do like your warm words and positive spin. But, just because people don't express there discontent publically, doesn't mean the vast majority of the population of this country, are happy either. Have you considered, that IF, a simple minded peasant ex squaddie, Lance Jack Russian apologist, could for a moment, consider voting for corbyn. What about the civvie populace, who do not have that 'patriotic default' to stop that line of thinking.

Corbyn would be a total disaster and I almost wish, we didn't have brexit to forestall that nightmare.
If more people vote Labour in the next election than for any other party, it'll mean the majority want Corbyn as PM. If that's the will of the people, so be it.

And Farage didn’t say that the same result reversed would be grounds for a second vote.
And he never met a Russian nor claimed Brexit would be a success.
No wonder you can’t see the future, you’re too busy reinventing the past.
Cameron's declarations as PM being compared to the chopsing off by Farage, who isn't even an elected MP?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Most of this country are politically apathetic for >95% of the time. Even when I'm round and about in public - for example on trains and buses - I very rarely hear Brexit discussed. It would appear at present that most of the people in the UK currently don't give a f---.

Wordsmith
The country was asked if the wanted to stay in the EU or leave it. They voted leave. The kerfuffle after the referendum had been pure politics which I contend the majority of voters are not that interested in.

BTW, just in case anyone has forgotten, Remain lost! :rolleyes:

So they knew exactly what they were voting to do. Why can't you accept that instead of thinking up increasingly desperate ways that Brexit could be stopped?
you really are dense

What I said was
"The UK IS leaving the EU you will have to accept that.
the referendum should be
1 do you want the deal negotiated

2 hard brexit"

Where was I trying to stop Brexit?
There is no 3rd choice of "stop brexit".
Just a choice of the negotiated brexit or a hard brexit.

I am on your side: I will be voting for a hard brexit.

And as I said, if the people in the rest of the EU wish for a USE, who are we to be blocking it?
As pointed out before, all previous steps towards a USE have been covert. As people have woken up to it across the EU, resistance has grown with significant anti-EU parties in most countries and an anti-EU government in Italy.

As such, practical progress towards a USE is very unlikely. The problem the EU has is that the euro is a half finished project, liable to be brought down by the recession. As such, the EU can't unwind the politically unpopular parts of the Lisbon treaty because they need further political and financial integration to prevent a euro collapse.

EU membership is like being on an express train where the driver has had a heart attack but got his forearm on the dead man's handle. The train is going to rush on at undiminished speed until it crashes. And then a lot of the passengers will get hurt.

Fortunately, the UK got off the train before the driver had their heart attack. As such we can be ghoulish and rubberneck the forthcoming crash from a safe distance.

As said before, if the EU were a benign organisation, there would be no point in leaving it. But it has deep seated structural flaws and we've probably hit the exit button at the right time.

Wordsmith

This is the problem with it all. Only 1/2 the UK voted to leave the other 1/2 voted to remain.......
Gosh. You're good at sums and stuff. I bet you're an engineer..

you really are dense

What I said was
"The UK IS leaving the EU you will have to accept that.
the referendum should be
1 do you want the deal negotiated

2 hard brexit"

Where was I trying to stop Brexit?
There is no 3rd choice of "stop brexit".
Just a choice of the negotiated brexit or a hard brexit.

I am on your side: I will be voting for a hard brexit.
And if the vote is to renegotiate the deal, what next? The EU will just laugh its bollox off and refuse to give us a better deal.

What happens then?

(Ignoring the fact that Article 50 means we Brexit next March come what may anyway. Even if a referendum were agreed, there just isn't the time to complete the negotiations and have a referendum).

Wordsmith

Would someone like to point this at mangler? <Snigger>
At the risk of repeating myself, it was parliament who authorised the referendum in the format in which it took place (and it was never suggested by anyone that there would ever be a follow-up referendum) and it was parliament who acknowledged the result and who authorised Article 50 to be invoked (knowing full well that there was no provision to revoke the process).

This has nothing whatsoever to do with parliamentary involvement and everything to do with remainers frustrated with an unexpected result chucking their toys out of the pram and seeking to derail the process.
This is how parliament works, a group of MPs chucked their toys out of the pram for decades until they got their own way. They neglected to get a plan together other than "Unicorns" though. This is the result.

And if the vote is to renegotiate the deal, what next? The EU will just laugh its bollox off and refuse to give us a better deal.
What happens then?
I assume you can't read...
for the third time the choice, as we the UK has decided to leave the EU, is:
1 accept the deal
2 HARD BREXIT (with no deal)

There is no other choice. We are leaving 29th March 2019 and that is it.

What other option were you hoping for? The People have decided we are leaving and we are leaving.
Either for the best deal HMG can get or hard brexit wth no deal.

I will be voting for a hard Brexit as the UK holds al the cards.

Nobody is fooled by all of that 'We respect the result of the referendum and we are committed to leaving the EU... but...' nonsense. Their intention is to delay the process for as long as possible in an effort to either modify Brexit to such an extent that it becomes virtually meaningless or to derail it entirely, completely disregarding the will of the public.
The intention is to not crash out and trash the country. You think this a bad thing?

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

What happens then?

(Ignoring the fact that Article 50 means we Brexit next March come what may anyway. Even if a referendum were agreed, there just isn't the time to complete the negotiations and have a referendum).

Wordsmith
Ah, no it doesn’t. You’ll find nothing is impossible where the will of the people is concerned. It may be expressed sooner than you’d like, from some unexpected places.