Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because as one of the few relatively healthy financial states ( U.K.) .the ECB would open a very large financial vein in an attempt to keep the Italian corpse warm if it crashes. Or were you expecting Bulgaria and Luxembourg to shoulder the load?
We're not part of the ECB.

During the last financial crisis we were, I believe, under no obligation to bale out any Eurozone country.

Where we did so (such as Ireland) it was because we recognised the impact financial failure on our doorstep would have on the UK.

Brexit changes none of this.

I am confident that we will prosper outside the EU.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of economists (the Treasury, the Bank of England, etc, etc) fail to share your confidence, and have gone on the record as predicting that Britain will be either worse off, or a lot worse off, according to the resulting deal.

But then, lots of people believed Alec Salmond when he insisted that his grand plans for a financially-viable independent Scotland made financial sense (and that all it would need was $110/bbl...)

Remind us - how did you react in 2014 when it was pointed out that oil prices were likely to fall? How did you predict negotiations would work out?

Last edited:
We're not part of the ECB.

During the last financial crisis we were, I believe, under no obligation to bale out any Eurozone country.

Where we did so (such as Ireland) it was because we recognised the impact financial failure on our doorstep would have on the UK.

Brexit changes none of this.
we are under no obligation to help out a eurozone
country. However. Our money was used to bail out Greece. This money is 'guaranteed' by the other Eurozone countries.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It looks as if the Grieve rebels were fobbed off and fibbed to. Not happy and it looks as if a hell of a lot more of them really aren't happy.
There may be trouble ahead, this place looks like it's being run by anti Europe and Protestant fundamentalists.

So, there are problems with the EU; failure to sign off accounts; moving every six months, etc, etc. Meanwhile, the UK was wonderfully run - MPs expenses, pretending to sign off accounts but really screwing it up (PFI), etc, etc.

One difference was the constant drip-feeding of myth by the Daily Mail et al; made-up stories about straightness of bananas, angry shouting about the colour of passports. Another was successive UK politicians choosing to use the EU as a blamehound for anything seen as necessary but politically damaging ("we didn't really want to do it, the EU forced us"). For instance - the EU has fewer employees than Hampshire Country Council. Yet to hear the Daily Heil, you'd think it was groaning at the seams with overpaid, non-working, jobsworths.

Listening to Jacob Rees-Mogg is an illustration. Listen to how much of his opposition to the EU is purely emotive (frequent use of the word "kow-tow", "vassal", "fear", "beg") and how little is factual. How much of his support is jingoism (frequent use of "control", "freedom", "responsibility") and how little is detail. Classy rhetoric, designed to sound good enough swing a vote in a debating chamber - because for him that's what counts. Short term win and personal gain, not long term benefits for the wider nation. Lots of emotion, enough meaningless numbers to sound good, but no coherent plan.

The confusing thing (much like the tossers who insist that immigrants are both stealing their jobs, and idling around doing nothing while on benefits) is when The Heil can't decide whether the EU is either ineffectual and incompetent joke that isn't fit to organise anything; or dangerously effective and cunning in their plots to do down Plucky Little Britain... can't be both.
Your last paragraph is just lazy GB, what has got that section of the citizenry’s goat is a mass importation over a decade of cheap eastern labour which induced wage stagnation for a decade in many fields ( east anglia, see what I did there!), combined with their local infrastructure being flooded with new people ( who haven’t payed into said infrastructure) and who rapidly latched on to what benefits were available to families on low pay.
An example, my wife was told by polish women at our girls primary, that it was ok for us here as we “ didn’t have to pay for maternity care here unlike Poland .“so her and her cohort were making sure they had there children here (so we paid”) . Hubby having been here a year and contributing little to the tax base on a min wage job.
That sort of thing niggles when your on crap money and you see your PAYE slip.

Your last paragraph is just lazy GB, what has got that section of the citizenry’s goat is a mass importation over a decade of cheap eastern labour which induced wage stagnation for a decade in many fields ( east anglia, see what I did there!), combined with their local infrastructure being flooded with new people ( who haven’t payed into said infrastructure) and who rapidly latched on to what benefits were available to families on low pay.
An example, my wife was told by polish women at our girls primary, that it was ok for us here as we “ didn’t have to pay for maternity care here unlike Poland .“so her and her cohort were making sure they had there children here (so we paid”) . Hubby having been here a year and contributing little to the tax base on a min wage job.
That sort of thing niggles when your on crap money and you see your PAYE slip.
makes me laugh with all this drivel about birth rates. Indigenous Europeans aren't infertile. They just having fewer children because they don't want to bang out kids that they can not spend the time and effort raising. They have them later because they have to prepare a safe place to raise them.

Last edited:
makes me laugh with all this drivel about birth rates. Indigenous Europeans aren't infertile. They just having fewer children because they don't want to bang out kids that they can not spend the time and effort raising. They have them later because they have to prepare a safe place to raise them.
Get help. Seriously, get help.

A friend of mine was a Wetherspoons manager for a number of years. He freely admitted that the vast majority of his clientele were alcoholics with a preference for strong beer.
Then as a manager why was he serving them? My local spoons is mainly families with young children enjoying a decent (cheap) full breakfast with milk or pure juice. Parents/Granparents/Uncles,Aunties etc enjoying the same with endless fresh coffees from a bean fed machine.
Same at lunchtime families enjoying a good cooked meal (Thursday Curry my fav) again kids on juices. Adults on a cheap beer (John Smiths my choice) or wine.
Not once have I seen a spoons filled with Alcholics,as a decent manager knows his patrons are mainly families and would refuse entry to the Alcholics.
Well done spoons on getting rid of overrated Euorpean chemical lager and replacing with local brewed UK beers,wines,spirits.
Off to spoons later for a snack,endless coffee and maybe a pint (not Litre) of Smiths

Status
Not open for further replies.