Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Anything to avoid talking about the UK.

Care to share where the money for the UK's independent satellite system is going to come from?

Refund from EU £1.2 Billion

Cost of basic system £2.5 Million, full fat system , £5 Billion
Its not big money and as the Government have estimated the cost of a GPS outage at £1 Billion per day, a very cheap investment.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm quite aware that the crash didn't happen on his watch. However, he is head of the same institution that presided over a massive fiscal meltdown, yet he chooses to use his position as a platform to prognosticate about what is good and bad for the country, so far, it seems, on the basis of wetting his finger and sticking it in the air.
See today’s news programmes, probably, the daily politics thing. He seems pretty clear that the £900drop is due to Brexit.
Argue with him.

I'm quite aware that the crash didn't happen on his watch. However, he is head of the same institution that presided over a massive fiscal meltdown, yet he chooses to use his position as a platform to prognosticate about what is good and bad for the country, so far, it seems, on the basis of wetting his finger and sticking it in the air.
The global economy is interconnected and a country like the UK doesn't exist in isolation, as we are finding out.

Do you think that the UK could have avoided a recession under Mervyn's watch?

The crisis hit everywhere pretty much and the elephant in the room is that no single organisation or power has enough influence on its own to push the RoW around, at least today or 10 years ago

We leave the EU on 29/03/2019. There is no unanimity of opinion on whether or not that clock can be stopped. Government legal advice is that it cannot. The transition period can only be enacted if we accept the deal offered.
I thought we could withdraw from Article 50... of course, it's never been done before, bu hey... ;)

Refund from EU £1.2 Billion

Cost of basic system £2.5 Million, full fat system , £5 Billion
Its not big money and as the Government have estimated the cost of a GPS outage at £1 Billion per day, a very cheap investment.
Where will the money come from?

Did history start for us in 1973?
We were on our arrse in 1973.

When looking back to yesteryear, be careful what you wish for.

Do you acknowledge that the incumbent of the BoE chair couldn't have insulated the UK from the financial crisis?

Consider with this the fact that our economy is dominated by financial services

I thought we could withdraw from Article 50... of course, it's never been done before, bu hey... ;)
Article 50

There is no explicit clause in the treaty allowing for a country to revoke its invocation of Article 50. And given that if May tried it she'd face an immediate leadership challenge and split the Tory party in two, I suspect the thought has not even crossed her mind.

The 52% that voted for Brexit would be royally urinated off as well, guaranteeing that the Tory party would shrink to a smaller size than the Limp Dems - I for one would never vote for them again.

Wordsmith

Road Fuel Testing Unit?
Yes a thing from the distant past. Hated by all especially the fuel launderers- they never did get it completely right. It was a matter discussed on the adjournment debate in parliament last night.. Course its an in land thing but in the old days it was T1 status and sealed by EU regulation and the before that by the UK. In other words it was UK first accepted by the EU as a matter of compliance. It costs both the Irish and our and other treasuries, but then again it was a source of certain raw materials beloved by some so one fed the other. RHA has a real axe to grind but it goes back to the 20's and will have implications for diesel reduction schemes which will by definition require transfer of freight to rails and the reappraisal of central rail distribution depots. I spent many a wet blowy if not freezing night doing Belly tanks.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Carney also put £250 billion of QE in the economy after the referendum to soften the blow.

But leaver loons always conveniently forget this
Do you have links to that and proof that it was for effects of the referendum or was it really for previous events and catching up by the BofE eho had been somewhat out in their forecasts?

We were on our arrse in 1973.

When looking back to yesteryear, be careful what you wish for.

Do you acknowledge that the incumbent of the BoE chair couldn't have insulated the UK from the financial crisis?

Consider with this the fact that our economy is dominated by financial services
Are you suggesting that the EU has transformed us into a top 5 world economy, a major benefactor to their coffers and that it'll all return to a 1970's, unions dominated economy?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453