Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Except that constitutionally you're completely wrong.

The referendum was on a leave/stay basis, the recognised mechanism for leaving is Article 50 and the Article 50 process is clearly defined, specifically the outcome in the event of no agreement.

Whether the majority of people understood that or not is moot, particularly the Remainer MPs who approved the referendum in the form it took without adding any further safeguards, but we are where the country voted to be, using a constitutional process defined by the EU and which was specifically approved by the Westminster Parliament following the direction of the Supreme Court. That's as strong as any mandate gets.
How can it be moot? Here buy some cigarettes - you'll enjoy them, it'll make you feel good and more relaxed.

(Did I forget to the mention the terrible death that awaits you?)

Moot?

That question was never asked; wishing that it should have been does not render the original ballot invalid. Btw, Remain were clear that leaving the EU meant leaving the CU/SM and yet Leave still prevailed.

.. and yet the question of the SM and the CU remain. So, we remain where we are.

May wants to take the easy route out by signing up to the customs union and hamstringing the UK's freedom of action, despite that being detrimental to the UK's long term interests. It's classic May - dodge the tough decisions.

The leave elements are aware of the damage that will be done to the country's long term interests and are fighting to prevent that. They are also more than aware that if after Brexit, the UK electorate are still told "we can't do this because Brussels won't allow it", the Tory's chances of re-election will vanish faster than snow in June.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, a large proportion of May's back benchers oppose the potential deal May is trying to negotiate, the cabinet is deadlocked over it and the DUP has already stated it will vote against it. May has now put herself in the position that she can only get her preferred option through with opposition support - which will destroy both her premiership and the Tory party.

She reminds me of a situation I have seen closeup first hand several times in my career - a situation where a senior manager has taken a decision that will have severe adverse (and in one case fatal) consequences for the company I worked for. That manager then went into denial about a situation everyone else could see coming a mile off, refused to take any mitigating action and the company was duly stuffed.

May is in the same situation. She's painted herself into a corner, is in denial about it, and will keep on steering a course that will end up with the good ship SS Soft Brexit fatally holed below the waterline.

Wordsmith

I don't see it that way at all.

Indeed. What are your thoughts on this most important issue for the future of the country?
I think the EU team have been very effective in not conceding a single point. Jolly good drills in negotiating unconditional surrender of a defeated enemy.

Less helpful in dealing with a future relationship between allies.

We can't blink anything like to the extent they demand as it's politically impossible to get through. And they won't as its not their money so they don't care. So brace for impact. Hard brexit ahoy.

I think the EU team have been very effective in not conceding a single point. Jolly good drills in negotiating unconditional surrender of a defeated enemy.

Less helpful in dealing with a future relationship between allies.

We can't blink anything like to the extent they demand as it's politically impossible to get through. And they won't as its not their money so they don't care. So brace for impact. Hard brexit ahoy.

There is no UK mandate for a hard Brexit, as much as you would wish to carry out such an act of self-harm. Those who think Parliament would allow such a thing are deluded.

How can it be moot? Here buy some cigarettes - you'll enjoy them, it'll make you feel good and more relaxed.

(Did I forget to the mention the terrible death that awaits you?)

Moot?
Because I have no idea what the general level of comprehension was and neither have you. Based on personal experience, I'm willing to bet that it wasn't high.

I think you'll find most people get paid to do stuff.
If you've charged a client for your opinion on this specific issue in the last five working days, well done you. If they pay you, well done you even more.

There is no UK mandate for a hard Brexit, as much as you would wish to carry out such an act of self-harm. Those who think Parliament would allow such a thing are deluded.
Parliament triggered A50. If they and every other regional, national and euro parliament don't approve whatever deal is submitted, hard brexit it is. Not my desired outcome, I would rather the EU were reasonable but they aren't so we are where we are.

Parliament triggered A50. If they and every other regional, national and euro parliament don't approve whatever deal is submitted, hard brexit it is. Not my desired outcome, I would rather the EU were reasonable but they aren't so we are where we are.

I don't believe that is the case. If HMG fails in this venture (and it's not doing very well, either deliberately or through incompetence) then I would expect Parliament to sort it out in the national interest.