Brexit Phase Two - Trade

It's all negotiations still, the option to walk away is always there

To pretend otherwise is just ignoring reality
We could declare war on the EU MS if we so choose.

I'd say that a government having the balls to do either seems just as likely

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And the EU told them they would not automatically join the EU, but would have to apply when they met the conditions like anyone else

Can the EU afford another country being a drain on it's resources, would it want one right now ?
Would that also be the Scotland that would be able to keep the pound after independence, together with the use of the Bank of England as a lender of last resort? The Scotland that was going to keep on building ships for the RN after independence, would not have a hard border with the UK and could use North Sea oil to pay for free unicorns for all after independence? And would be able to have its share of the UK's assets without assuming its share of the UK's liabilities?

That Scotland?

Wordsmith

And the EU told them they would not automatically join the EU, but would have to apply when they met the conditions like anyone else

Can the EU afford another country being a drain on it's resources, would it want one right now ?
Dunno, not down to me, or you. Looked at the price of Brent crude recently?

Nippie sweetie has lost A-Y because she's a bit of a soshulist an all that, he much preferred the Braveheart fibs of Eck. IMO, she's a smarter politician, playing to the majority. She'll not rush into another referendum unless she's sure to win.

He had influence in the referendum, as I said, he's probably changed his mind about his statement, or mebbe's not. A narrow victory would only need a rerun if it was for Remain is probably what he meant, because he a bit of a hypocrite.

But, the point is, he's allowed to change his mind. So not irrelevant at all.

The SNP haven't changed their mind collectively, they campaigned for independence as a sovereign member of the EU. HTH.
Are you still maintaining that had Remain won the referendum, HMG wouldn't have a mandate to pursue our membership of the EU in a way they see fit?

All because Farage would make a bit of noise?

Without UKIP MPs sitting in Parliament?

Would that also be the Scotland that would be able to keep the pound after independence, together with the use of the Bank of England as a lender of last resort? The Scotland that was going to keep on building ships for the RN after independence, would not have a hard border with the UK and could use North Sea oil to pay for free unicorns for all after independence? And would be able to have its share of the UK's assets without assuming its share of the UK's liabilities?

That Scotland?

Wordsmith
You should be familiar with that kind of fibbing, it doesn't count if you cross your fingers when you're door stepping.

£350 million?
Breaking Point?
Turkish accession?
Leaving the SM will be simple?
Nobody's talking about leaving the SM?
A new trade deal will be the easiest in human history?

We could declare war on the EU MS if we so choose.

I'd say that a government having the balls to do either seems just as likely
If Theresa May can't get her act together, we'll crash out regardless. 60+ Tory MPs and the DUP are not well disposed towards her conduct of the negotiations. If she cannot convince them to support her, then she is toast. Do you honestly think that Corbyn would whip his MPs to vote for May's incredible deal? Of course he won't... Labour will not prop up Theresa May and would rather take their chances again at the ballot box.

You have to give SNP some credit.

They see the benefits of being part of something you support, but compelled to ditch it along with the rest of us.
See above, Sturgeon looks at the long game.

Are you still maintaining that had Remain won the referendum, HMG wouldn't have a mandate to pursue our membership of the EU in a way they see fit?

All because Farage would make a bit of noise?

Without UKIP MPs sitting in Parliament?
I've never said that they wouldn't have a mandate but we'd still be arguing. HTH. Not a fan of counterfactual, we are where we are and he said what he said.

If Theresa May can't get her act together, we'll crash out regardless. 60+ Tory MPs and the DUP are not well disposed towards her conduct of the negotiations. If she cannot convince them to support her, then she is toast. Do you honestly think that Corbyn would whip his MPs to vote for May's incredible deal? Of course he won't... Labour will not prop up Theresa May and would rather take their chances again at the ballot box.
I think that a majority of MPs won't be prepared to crash the country so utterly.

Most are pro remain and there has been plenty of cross party work to avoid such an outcome.

60 MPs won't be enough to force a no deal

I've never said that they wouldn't have a mandate but we'd still be arguing. HTH. Not a fan of counterfactual, we are where we are and he said what he said.
We'd still be arguing regardless of any outcome, but my point stands that HMG have a mandate to pursue BREXIT as they see fit, as they would have if the Remain team had prevailed.

You should be familiar with that kind of fibbing, it doesn't count if you cross your fingers when you're door stepping.

£350 million?
Breaking Point?
Turkish accession?
Leaving the SM will be simple?
Nobody's talking about leaving the SM?
A new trade deal will be the easiest in human history?
From a link a page or so back.....
"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.""

We'd still be arguing regardless of any outcome, but my point stands that HMG have a mandate to pursue BREXIT as they see fit, as they would have if the Remain team had prevailed.
And how well are they doing that then?

I think that a majority of MPs won't be prepared to crash the country so utterly.

Most are pro remain and there has been plenty of cross party work to avoid such an outcome.

You are assuming that the vote is not on party lines... Why would Labour prop up an unpopular Tory PM who has made an unpopular deal? They would be better off going to the country saying that the Maybot is incompetent and we could have done much better. The chances are with that approach that they would win the GE.

You are assuming that the vote is not on party lines... Why would Labour prop up an unpopular Tory PM who has made an unpopular deal? They would be better off going to the country saying that the Maybot is incompetent and we could have done much better. The chances are with that approach that they would win the GE.
I am making that assumption and believe that Labour MPs aren't stupid enough to go for a hard brexit since they would have a big share of the responsibility for such a catastrophe.

The steady stream of testimony from business, regulatory bodies etc etc hasn't gone unnoticed by parliamentarians, including BoJo, Give etc.

Have you noticed that the leading brexiteers are dialing back on their bellicose rhetoric, perhaps JRM excluded

From a link a page or so back.....
"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.""
Ahem.....you did check who posted the link? For those who wonder why Ruthie's piping up....

It depends what the deal is - Labour learned the hard way in Scotland what happens when it gets on the wrong side of the Zeitgeist.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would estimate that the average British punter wants the referendum result respected and observed in spirit without going full retard or having the UK pushed around by the EU. I suspect that there will be an electoral price to pay for any party embracing either extreme.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 247
S11Blade Brexit 474
B Medals 22