Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Are you still maintaining that had Remain won the referendum, HMG wouldn't have a mandate to pursue our membership of the EU in a way they see fit?

All because Farage would make a bit of noise?

Without UKIP MPs sitting in Parliament?
I've never said that they wouldn't have a mandate but we'd still be arguing. HTH. Not a fan of counterfactual, we are where we are and he said what he said.

If Theresa May can't get her act together, we'll crash out regardless. 60+ Tory MPs and the DUP are not well disposed towards her conduct of the negotiations. If she cannot convince them to support her, then she is toast. Do you honestly think that Corbyn would whip his MPs to vote for May's incredible deal? Of course he won't... Labour will not prop up Theresa May and would rather take their chances again at the ballot box.
I think that a majority of MPs won't be prepared to crash the country so utterly.

Most are pro remain and there has been plenty of cross party work to avoid such an outcome.

60 MPs won't be enough to force a no deal

I've never said that they wouldn't have a mandate but we'd still be arguing. HTH. Not a fan of counterfactual, we are where we are and he said what he said.
We'd still be arguing regardless of any outcome, but my point stands that HMG have a mandate to pursue BREXIT as they see fit, as they would have if the Remain team had prevailed.

You should be familiar with that kind of fibbing, it doesn't count if you cross your fingers when you're door stepping.

£350 million?
Breaking Point?
Turkish accession?
Leaving the SM will be simple?
Nobody's talking about leaving the SM?
A new trade deal will be the easiest in human history?
From a link a page or so back.....
"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.""

We'd still be arguing regardless of any outcome, but my point stands that HMG have a mandate to pursue BREXIT as they see fit, as they would have if the Remain team had prevailed.
And how well are they doing that then?

I think that a majority of MPs won't be prepared to crash the country so utterly.

Most are pro remain and there has been plenty of cross party work to avoid such an outcome.

You are assuming that the vote is not on party lines... Why would Labour prop up an unpopular Tory PM who has made an unpopular deal? They would be better off going to the country saying that the Maybot is incompetent and we could have done much better. The chances are with that approach that they would win the GE.

You are assuming that the vote is not on party lines... Why would Labour prop up an unpopular Tory PM who has made an unpopular deal? They would be better off going to the country saying that the Maybot is incompetent and we could have done much better. The chances are with that approach that they would win the GE.
I am making that assumption and believe that Labour MPs aren't stupid enough to go for a hard brexit since they would have a big share of the responsibility for such a catastrophe.

The steady stream of testimony from business, regulatory bodies etc etc hasn't gone unnoticed by parliamentarians, including BoJo, Give etc.

Have you noticed that the leading brexiteers are dialing back on their bellicose rhetoric, perhaps JRM excluded

From a link a page or so back.....
"The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.""
Ahem.....you did check who posted the link? For those who wonder why Ruthie's piping up....

It depends what the deal is - Labour learned the hard way in Scotland what happens when it gets on the wrong side of the Zeitgeist.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would estimate that the average British punter wants the referendum result respected and observed in spirit without going full retard or having the UK pushed around by the EU. I suspect that there will be an electoral price to pay for any party embracing either extreme.

I am making that assumption and believe that Labour MPs aren't stupid enough to go for a hard brexit since they would have a big share of the responsibility for such a catastrophe.
Baggy, you are assuming that Labour MPs aren't stupid? It is a dangerous assumption to make... The electorate will not blame Labour in the event of a hard Brexit because they were in opposition. They may well blame the Tories but given Corbyn's dismal ratings that cannot be taken as a given. The Brexit vote will divide on party lines.

Lots of words which mean nothing.

The Government has a mandate to negotiate Brexit. Whatever's agreed currently needs no further assent therefore, by definition, a mandate for it exists. Even if Parliament insisted on assent, the EU as a whole would have to agree any revisions within the defined timescale. In the event of non-agreement, the default position is hard Brexit.

That's the position as understood by those required to understand this stuff professionally. If you want to argue otherwise, I'll leave you to it.
So, no actual facts then.

If that’s all you’ve got, you’d better leave it to the rest of us. ^^

Baggy, you are assuming that Labour MPs aren't stupid? It is a dangerous assumption to make... The electorate will not blame Labour in the event of a hard Brexit because they were in opposition. They may well blame the Tories but given Corbyn's dismal ratings that cannot be taken as a given. The Brexit vote will divide on party lines.
I'm not so sure this issue will resolve down party lines, given the gravity.

But we'll see I suppose

Hard Brexit happens automatically if we don't reach agreement with the EU - it's legally mandated in Article 50.

We irrevocably leave the EU in March of next year. The only questions are can we reach an agreement before that time and (if we do) what will the terms of any transition period be?

Article 50

As you will see from the text of the treaty, we can leave anytime up to and including the two years after notification. After that leaving is automatic in the form of a hard Brexit.

The chances of all 28 states involved agreeing to extend the 2 year period is remote.

Wordsmith
We leave the EU.

That is not the same as a hard Brexit, as there is more to a hard Brexit than leaving the EU - hence the specific inclusion of Euratom in the A50 notification (not an EU institution).

So, no actual facts then.

If that’s all you’ve got, you’d better leave it to the rest of us. ^^
Thanks, but I think I'll stick around and help you make a fool of yourself. :biggrin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453