Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don’t worry Wetherspoons will probably be open early on the 30th.
I hope so, I finish nightshift that morning so could do with a couple of beers to get me off to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You may not have seen the debate on the parliament channel about exactly this issue. It's actually parliament trying to usurp the function of the cabinet. The rules are quite clear. Parliament oversees the actions of Government, it is not in itself the Government. Added to which Bercow has nailed his colours to the mast now in saying he will criticise Government. This is not his function. He must now go.
Parliament makes the law. It is yet to pass a single piece of Brexit legislation.

Sorry boys, I was very wrong earlier in my last post while replying to Baggy on the ranting Richter scale.
Now this is a better rant, probably 6 on the scale.

How much longer will people indulge the ridiculous charade that the Disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox, a man who has never negotiated a single trade agreement, can get better deals with other countries than the EU Commission, which has a team of crack negotiators with many decades of experience between them?
Of all the reasons for staying in a customs union - and better still in the EU - one of the strongest is that it would save the country from being sold out to the Americans and humiliated by the delusional and incompetent Fox and his merry band of rookie "negotiators". He's a disgraced fucktard and has no clue what he is doing. Other governments know it and are licking the lips at the prospect of rolling him over shafting the UK in this unique opportunity.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope so, I finish nightshift that morning so could do with a couple of beers to get me off to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

You’re working on Independence Day/night That’s a shame think of all the partying you’ll miss. All the good will, fellowship, dancing in the streets it’ll be like VE 2.0 day. And we know what followed that.

Sorry boys, I was very wrong earlier in my last post while replying to Baggy on the ranting Richter scale.
Now this is a better rant, probably 6 on the scale.
Good innit.
He does make I laugh.

Hi Baggy, dobber button smoking? Spoken to any humans lately?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Parliament makes the law. It is yet to pass a single piece of Brexit legislation.
At the moment there is no need to actually get legislation through. You are not wholly correct as the bill to sign the Art 50 letter went through with a huge majority.
Commons overwhelmingly backs Brexit bill

Many seem to have forgotten that. The rest has been sent to the Lord's who have routinely rejected it. On return to the HofC these amendments have basically been ignored by the government as they are just nuisance value.

When the real legislation starts to go through parliament with three line whips on then we will see which MPs live up to their rhetoric.

So, to say "It [parliament] is yet to pass a single piece of Brexit legislation" is disingenuous to say the least.

Meanwhile Italy continues to provoke fear/fury in Brussels.

Italy's insurgents defiant as bond spreads surge and EU threats build
The warnings are coming fast and thick. Fitch Ratings has issue a red alert, deeming Italy’s insurgent government a threat to market stability and sovereign solvency.

The conservative leader in the European Parliament, Manfred Weber, said Italians are “playing with fire” as anti-euro Lega nationalists and the alt-Left Five Star Movement join forces to smash the euro austerity regime - and to deport 500,000 illegal immigrants. “This could provoke another eurozone crisis,” he said.
While William Hague agrees.

As Italy has shown, the euro is a far bigger threat to Europe than Brexit
Italians are mad as hell about the permanent stagnation that the euro imposed on Italy

“In Britain, to govern is difficult. In Italy it is pointless,” said a senior Italian who called to wish me well when I became Foreign Secretary. I laughed, of course, at this charmingly honest assessment of a problem we find almost endearing: the inability of a country we generally adore to settle on any government for more than a few months.
Much of the interesting information is behind the paywall. But the salient point is that the incoming Italian government has no love for Brussels, is going to go ahead with its economic plans in defiance of Brussels, is willing to directly challenge Brussels if they try and stop the plans and - at worst case - will set up a parallel currency which will probably set in motion a chain of events that will lead to the eventual disintegration of the euro. Opinion polls in Italy also show that support for the incoming government is growing, not falling as their policies attract a substantial measure of support within Italy.

The indications are that the EU is sleep-walking into a major crisis on multiple fronts: a hard Brexit, a p*ssed off eastern Europe with Poland on the naughty step and threats to cut their EU funding and Italy in Samson mode ready to pull the euro temple down around it.

It looks like - soft Brexit or hard Brexit - our timing on leaving the EU will be excellent.

Wordsmith

Much of the interesting information is behind the paywall. But the salient point is that the incoming Italian government has no love for Brussels, is going to go ahead with its economic plans in defiance of Brussels, is willing to directly challenge Brussels if they try and stop the plans and - at worst case - will set up a parallel currency which will probably set in motion a chain of events that will lead to the eventual disintegration of the euro. Opinion polls in Italy also show that support for the incoming government is growing, not falling as their policies attract a substantial measure of support within Italy.

The indications are that the EU is sleep-walking into a major crisis on multiple fronts: a hard Brexit, a p*ssed off eastern Europe with Poland on the naughty step and threats to cut their EU funding and Italy in Samson mode ready to pull the euro temple down around it.

It looks like - soft Brexit or hard Brexit - our timing on leaving the EU will be excellent.

Wordsmith
The indications are that you're on auto type as you read the Tele.

The warnings are coming fast and thick. Fitch Ratings has issue a red alert, deeming Italy’s insurgent government a threat to market stability and sovereign solvency.

The conservative leader in the European Parliament, Manfred Weber, said Italians are “playing with fire” as anti-euro Lega nationalists and the alt-Left Five Star Movement join forces to smash the euro austerity regime - and to deport 500,000 illegal immigrants. “This could provoke another eurozone crisis,” he said.

Italians are mad as hell about the permanent stagnation that the euro imposed on Italy

“In Britain, to govern is difficult. In Italy it is pointless,” said a senior Italian who called to wish me well when I became Foreign Secretary. I laughed, of course, at this charmingly honest assessment of a problem we find almost endearing: the inability of a country we generally adore to settle on any government for more than a few months.

Wordsmith
Having read the same article and other media sources relating to it, the conclusion (within MSM) that Italy are certainly challenging Brussels authority, they’ve had enough.

Of course, the EU’s default position is to fight, whether this be fiscal, politically or impose similar sanctions if Italy bite more than simply bark.

Times, they are a changing....Brexit, V4 discontent and now Italy tangibly pi$$ed of with Brussels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Something is rotten in the "state" of European Union!

Having read the same article and other media sources relating to it, the conclusion (within MSM) that Italy are certainly challenging Brussels authority, they’ve had enough.

Of course, the EU’s default position is to fight, whether this be fiscal, politically or impose similar sanctions if Italy bite more than simply bark.

Times, they are a changing....Brexit, V4 discontent and now Italy tangibly pi$$ed of with Brussels.
Which I suspect will just exacerbate the situation. The more Brussels tries to impose its will on the dissident member states, the more they'll fight back. I can see the situation within the EU steadily worsening.

Which might actually help the UK secure better Brexit conditions. With Italy threatening to cause real damage to the euro, Brexit might suddenly be a fight too far for Brussels.

That said, I think Italy's first move will be to see how much Danegeld it can exhort from Brussels first - no point in picking a fight straight off, if you can get some of what you want by putting a horse's head in the Brussels bed.

Wordsmith

Which I suspect will just exacerbate the situation. The more Brussels tries to impose its will on the dissident member states, the more they'll fight back. I can see the situation within the EU steadily worsening.

Which might actually help the UK secure better Brexit conditions. With Italy threatening to cause real damage to the euro, Brexit might suddenly be a fight too far for Brussels.

That said, I think Italy's first move will be to see how much Danegeld it can exhort from Brussels first - no point in picking a fight straight off, if you can get some of what you want by putting a horse's head in the Brussels bed.

Wordsmith
Sheesh

At the moment there is no need to actually get legislation through. You are not wholly correct as the bill to sign the Art 50 letter went through with a huge majority.
Commons overwhelmingly backs Brexit bill

Many seem to have forgotten that. The rest has been sent to the Lord's who have routinely rejected it. On return to the HofC these amendments have basically been ignored by the government as they are just nuisance value.

When the real legislation starts to go through parliament with three line whips on then we will see which MPs live up to their rhetoric.

So, to say "It [parliament] is yet to pass a single piece of Brexit legislation" is disingenuous to say the least.
That was merely stating an intention to leave and to begin negotiations. The EU has indicated it can be altered.

I wonder why those crucial bills which were meant to be voted on at the end of winter have still not been put in front of the HoC as summer approaches.

Wordsmith
The new Govt in Italy is likely to collapse before the UK leaves the EU if the history of Italian politics follows its usual trajectory, so I wouldn't pin Brexit hopes to it.

As for hard Brexit, if that was going to happen it would have already but somehow Parliament and HMG don't look too keen on shooting the country in the other foot too.

no. There is, however, a mandate to leave the EU. The EU and remainers can respect that or go for hard brexit. Capische.
I find the notion of the term 'hard' brexit to be utter bollocks. A term used by the remain camp, Hard Brexit is just Brexit, fulfilling the terms of the referendum. Leaving the EU without a deal will be the EU's fault, not ours.
It's delicious watching the remainers cry and squirm though....you can almost see the tear stained keyboard as they type their mental rambling 'whatiffery'.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That was merely stating an intention to leave and to begin negotiations. The EU has indicated it can be altered.

I wonder why those crucial bills which were meant to be voted on at the end of winter have still not been put in front of the HoC as summer approaches.
Amazing how you can pick and choose which are actually Brexit Bills and just dismiss those that don't fit your agenda. Seems to be a Remainiac trait. All parliamentary programmes change as you know, but why should the government bring forward Bills which, once debated and passed, are just dismissed by the EU. Putting these Bills up would just give the EU negotiators prior knowledge of UK's position. Also, they would only give Barnier to practice his now traditional "Non".

I suspect if the government put up detailed bills, Remainiacs would be complaining that the government were unnecessarily showing their hand to the EU! Whatever PMTM does will be attacked and a block attempted - even if the proposal is the best for UK's interests. The only way for legislation to get passed the Remainiacs is to capitulate totally to the EU!

Remainiacs! Their new slogan "We're not backing Britain!"

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The new Govt in Italy is likely to collapse before the UK leaves the EU if the history of Italian politics follows its usual trajectory, so I wouldn't pin Brexit hopes to it.

As for hard Brexit, if that was going to happen it would have already but somehow Parliament and HMG don't look too keen on shooting the country in the other foot too.
What rubbish! Not like you and not up to your usual standards, did you have a sleepless night?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453