Brexit Phase Two - Trade

No commissioner represents their own country. They all swear loyalty to the EU after being appointed by their PM/President/Taoiseach or whatever. He is Irish. He is a commissioner.
The rest is pedantry.
Indeed, but it is often spun the other way so that people feel that they have a ‘man on the inside’ which is one of the clever organisational obfuscations.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Proof of Project Fear direct from the mouth of one of the Liars!
Project Fear DEBUNKED: University boss admits Brexit claim was 'plucked out of the air'

Professor Michael Arthur from University College London, who chairs the Russell Group of elite universities EU group, had claimed that UK seats of learning would plunge from second best in the world league table on research behind America to 20th.
But pressed on the claim during a Brexit committee hearing in the Commons, Professor Arthur said: “I will confess I plucked a number out of the air.
Which explains why it’s all going so well. Could you imagine how bad things would be if Project Fear had proved to be accurate.

Still, taking a positive view. We’ve started to renationalise the railways

I know you are but what am I?
That facts are there in front of you and you still will not accept them. A rant from a Brexiteer in a paper trumps the European Union act 2011 in you mind. Mentalism.

<Awaits "I was only joking" response>

Well you can but the historical record is very clear that, first time round, the UK declared war on Germany after it invaded Belgium and refused to withdraw and declared war on Germany the second time round because it invaded Poland and refused to withdraw.

Whatever everyone else was up to at the time (Sean Meekin's "July 1914: Countdown to War" is well worth a read), Great Britain's response on both occasions was the result of the invasion of a sovereign country by Germany.

If there is a lesson to be drawn from the two World Wars, and the Napoleonic War, and the Seven Years War, and the War of Spanish Succession, and the Wars of Religion, it's that, unless you're Roman, attempts to impose grand master plans and political conformity across the European continent don't end well, particularly for the imposers.

You don't say?

It was a Remain gov't which has caused this and you're sticking up for an argument the country rejected.
It was the referendum result which got us here. Nearly two years and lots of navel gazing later.....

Not necessarily. Harold Wilson had two non-MPs in his cabinet (Patrick Gordon Walker was one) and several Lords have held cabinet posts.
Lord Carrington was Defence Secretary (beginning of FI to-do) and then as Foreign Secretary is a case in point.
Yes, EU Commissioners are appointed but by the Council of Ministers who are the heads of sheds in government.
I think our current commissioner was appointed by David Cameron.
Check your facts about Carrington... John Nott was Defence Secretary during the Falklands War. Carrington resigned as Foreign Secretary in the immediate aftermath of the invasion and was replaced by Francis Pym.

I'm afraid your remedial posting style made it necessary.

Please feel free to demonstrate how; "The UK declared war on Germany in both 1914 and 1939. You can argue who started it until the cows come home." can be substantiated with regard to German culpability for World War Two.

A few cows will be home shortly.

I'm afraid your remedial posting style made it necessary.

Please feel free to demonstrate how; "The UK declared war on Germany in both 1914 and 1939. You can argue who started it until the cows come home." can be substantiated with regard to German culpability for World War Two.

A few cows will be home shortly.

I wasn't referring to culpability if you follow the drift of the earlier conversation.

When do you predict the crisis to emerge?
When the next recession rolls along. And as the old joke goes, economists predicted 13 of the last 4 recessions.

More seriously, it's generally accepted that a country will default on its debts when the debt to GDP ration exceeds 140%. Here are the current figures.

Eurostat - Tables, Graphs and Maps Interface (TGM) table

Greece: 178.6%
Italy: 131.8%
Portugal: 125.7%
Belgium 103.1%

Greece - in any other circumstances - would have gone bust in the last recession. But that might have brought down the eurozone, so it was bullied into savage austerity.

Italy is going over the edge for sure in the next recession and probably Portugal too. The Belgians may end up on life support.

Italy is too big to fail - a financial crisis there will finish off the eurozone in its present form. Which is why I suspect the ECB/European commission will cave in to a lot of the incoming government's demands. Anything to improve Italy's economic position before the recession does hit.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453