Brexit Phase Two - Trade

There is no Irish commissioner .

Ireland has nominated somebody to fill the agricultural post. That post impacts on the UK, but I’ve had no say in it.

At the moment I vote for a councillor, an MSP and an MP. I can vote them out.

I can’t vote out somebody in the House of Lords or the EU commission.

I’m generally not too happy with people with big influence being appointed.
You mean apart from PHil Hogan (Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development) who has been there since 2014?

And you can't vote for a member of the cabinet, either. Like the EU commission they are nominated or appointed by the PM.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
We’re leaving the Customs Union and replacing it with something snazzy like a customs partnership, it’s got all small letters in it so nobody gets excited.
Varadker seems to approve of that one as the preferred way forward.

And your counter arguments that show the flaws in my reasoning?

Will - for example - the euro sail through the next recession unscathed, or will the Greek, Italian and French economies (among others) implode and give us the mother of all financial crisis's?

Wordsmith
When do you predict the crisis to emerge?

Firstly, the two parties mentioned haven't even agreed on forming a coalition due to some differences.
Secondly, if you read that article, it says “an old version that has been considerably modified”. In particular, it had been decided “not to call into question the single currency,” they said.

Once they can agree on a few points (some like cutting taxes and not upping the pension age are poles apart) then they could form a coalition. But it's Italy, they have form for this.

The wishful thinking by some may just be that.
The parties are falling out already.

Well mentioned. It seems that a significant amount of the argument/blame by the remain side is due to said conflation.

Enough of obnubilation, say I.
If those who voted remain weren't being blamed for the failures of government by people in government I'd be more impressed TBH

You mean apart from PHil Hogan (Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development) who has been there since 2014?

And you can't vote for a member of the cabinet, either. Like the EU commission they are nominated or appointed by the PM.
Actually we do vote for members of the cabinet who are MPs before being offered government posts. What I think you meant to say was that we cannot vote which portfolio they hold. However, a member of cabinet can be recalled or reaffirm dcby further election by their constituents, an EU Commissioner cannot because they have neither constituents nor constituency. They are appointed top level bureaucrats with lots of authority but no responsibility to the people that have supposedly made them their tribunes.

He is not an Irish Commissioner, he is a Commissioner who is Irish. The remit of a Commissioner is to prosecute EU policy within their portfolio, not to argue for or advocate on behalf of their sending nation.

Proof of Project Fear direct from the mouth of one of the Liars!
Project Fear DEBUNKED: University boss admits Brexit claim was 'plucked out of the air'

Professor Michael Arthur from University College London, who chairs the Russell Group of elite universities EU group, had claimed that UK seats of learning would plunge from second best in the world league table on research behind America to 20th.
But pressed on the claim during a Brexit committee hearing in the Commons, Professor Arthur said: “I will confess I plucked a number out of the air.

We’re leaving the Customs Union and replacing it with something snazzy like a customs partnership, it’s got all small letters in it so nobody gets excited.
It's only about trade deals and who allegedly controls them in the end. I think even the Irish would be a tad bothered if they couldn't trade except with EU permission

Actually we do vote for members of the cabinet who are MPs before being offered government posts. What I think you meant to say was that we cannot vote which portfolio they hold. However, a member of cabinet can be recalled or reaffirm dcby further election by their constituents, an EU Commissioner cannot because they have neither constituents nor constituency. They are appointed top level bureaucrats with lots of authority but no responsibility to the people that have supposedly made them their tribunes.
Not necessarily. Harold Wilson had two non-MPs in his cabinet (Patrick Gordon Walker was one) and several Lords have held cabinet posts.
Lord Carrington was Defence Secretary (beginning of FI to-do) and then as Foreign Secretary is a case in point.
Yes, EU Commissioners are appointed but by the Council of Ministers who are the heads of sheds in government.
I think our current commissioner was appointed by David Cameron.

He is not an Irish Commissioner, he is a Commissioner who is Irish. The remit of a Commissioner is to prosecute EU policy within their portfolio, not to argue for or advocate on behalf of their sending nation.
No commissioner represents their own country. They all swear loyalty to the EU after being appointed by their PM/President/Taoiseach or whatever. He is Irish. He is a commissioner.
The rest is pedantry.

Not necessarily. Harold Wilson had two non-MPs in his cabinet (Patrick Gordon Walker was one) and several Lords have held cabinet posts.
Lord Carrington was Defence Secretary (beginning of FI to-do) and then as Foreign Secretary is a case in point.
Yes, EU Commissioners are appointed but by the Council of Ministers who are the heads of sheds in government.
I think our current commissioner was appointed by David Cameron.
Yes, that is why I said ‘members who are MPs’ as opposed to the HoL members.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 253
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 464