Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With the drawing to a close of the first phase I thought that a new thread to take forward the next phase of Op BREXIT.

Time to crack on with the next scintillating round of conversations in the same warm mutual trust, and friendliness.

On with Phase Two.

Oh dear God, no. Make it stop... I can’t put up with anymore witty SABCs or poultry fetishes.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I predict more capitulation driven by government bluffing and incompetence
Can we have a Remainer glossary to help us all understand your posts?

Soft Brexit = good
Hard Brexit = bad
Deal enabling a soft Brexit = capitulation
Making concessions while also getting the EU to make concessions = capitulation

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I fully expect this thread to boldly go in the spirit of love and brotherly fraternisation as was shown in the first Brexit Negotiations thread! :p

Soft Brexit = good
Hard Brexit = bad
Only if we can have a matching glossary for the Brexiteers.

Soft Brexit = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!
Hard Brexit = Oooer - tooo late, chang emy Y fronts...
Deal enabling a soft Brexit = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Making concessions while also getting the EU to make concessions = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Trade is phase three, after phase two which is the transitional negotiations (and sorting out all the loose ends over phase one, principally in Ireland).

Trade is likely to be a bit more ordered.

I think I read somewhere that the German automotive sales had decreased 2% in UK (if anyone can find a link I'd be much obliged).

That's going to pinch. I'd imagine a few German politicians will have been appraised of the situation.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Trade is phase three, after phase two which is the transitional negotiations (and sorting out all the loose ends over phase one, principally in Ireland).
We need negotiations on the title to use!

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Only if we can have a matching glossary for the Brexiteers.

Soft Brexit = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!
Hard Brexit = Oooer - tooo late, chang emy Y fronts...
Deal enabling a soft Brexit = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Making concessions while also getting the EU to make concessions = Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!
I liked your post, as a counter-balance to the other post about Remainers, but I consider the last point in your list to be moot. The EU won't be making any concessions. The EU shysters have got everything they wanted (and a bit more) from the first round and now the UK team will have to play catch-up to get even a halfways credible deal. In short, the EU will dictate the terms and the UK will accept them and then tell the populace how "successfully" they negotiated. None of them will have the guts to admit that they were comprehensively outplayed and outsmarted across the board. Same old, same old.

MsG

For a guess, major leaders in the various industries have been having a gentle word in the ears of both our Government as well as the European council, I don't see them liking the idea of having to start paying import duties anytime soon.
Ideally I would like a soft brexit that doesn't affect our trading with the EU but also allows us freedom to strike deals with other countries. Pipe dream maybe but it would avoid some nasty repercussion if a hard Brexit happened.
I've already seen the affects with a company I support in Spain and also a few people I know, have lost work because of the uncertainty of whats going to happen.
Because European owners don't want to invest in anything at the moment.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
We need negotiations on the title to use!
Well:

@Brotherton Lad can play the EU and suggest 'BREXIT Phase 2 - Transition'.
@Auld-Yin , playing the Brexiteers can put forward 'Brexit Phase Two - Trade'.

Which means, on recent evidence, that Auld-Yin will capitulate and cede everything BL asked for but still call it a victory.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs

Soft Brexit = good
Hard Brexit = bad
It's been rather one sided

Sounds more like phase 1a.

This is the trade thread.
You, Davis and the OP are in for a shock. Trade talks don't start until Feb at the earliest, we can't sign a trade deal until we've left and strangely enough, the EU will have been listening to statements with interest. They still have to vote on it.