Brexit Handbags

I was never a member of the SF, though I worked with them in the DDR and in Bosnia. I've been a member of the SF Club for over 20 years.

Do you wish to keep digging that hole you have there?
You seem more agitated and confused than usual John. Is everything ok ?

But the voters in England who actually want Brexit are not recognised at all as a “people” with a voice of their own. They are nationalist revolutionaries without a political nation. They are creating a country for themselves, but it is one that dare not speak its name.

At the heart of this dilemma is the illusion that a fragile multinational state can play with the fire of nationalism yet not get burned. The allure of leaving a larger multinational political entity and going your own way is very potent. But once you establish it as the core value of politics, where do you stop? Brexit sets in motion the logic that shared sovereignty is unnatural and that all “peoples” must return to the pure dominion of their ancient nations.

However, it then commands the tide of separatism to stop at the current borders of the UK. It dictates that the nation must take back control of its own fate in order to inaugurate for itself what Johnson and Rees-Mogg unblushingly hail as a “golden age”. But apparently the only nation that is supposed to hear this thrilling call of destiny is the new England that has been conjured into being. You would need to be half blind on scrumpy not to see the fatal contradiction.
I would imagine someone in the austro-hungarian parliament said the same about the czechs, slovaks or croats.

Do you wish to keep digging that hole you have there?
You're the expert at that...

BL, in all seriousness, I know that you are gen, but you have made a massive dick of yourself on here. We all get that you don't like Brexit, which is both fair enough and a perfectly reasonable point of view. But your incessant whataboutery, non-sequiteurs and bad calls have trashed your reputation on here, which I think is a great pity.

BL, in all seriousness, I know that you are gen, but you have made a massive dick of yourself on here. We all get that you don't like Brexit, which is both fair enough and a perfectly reasonable point of view. But your incessant whataboutery, non-sequiteurs and bad calls have further trashed your reputation on here, which I think is a great pity.
FoC

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

BL, in all seriousness, I know that you are gen, but you have made a massive dick of yourself on here. We all get that you don't like Brexit, which is both fair enough and a perfectly reasonable point of view. But your incessant whataboutery, non-sequiteurs and bad calls have trashed your reputation on here, which I think is a great pity.
You haven't the faintest idea what Johnson is going to produce and nor do I. All I see today on the other thread is group hugs and wishful thinking.

Many are likely to find out eventually that they have been conned. Those oop north in the red wall constituencies (where most of my large extended family live) are likely to find out sooner rather than later.

You haven't the faintest idea what Johnson is going to produce and nor do I. All I see today on the other thread is group hugs and wishful thinking.

Many are likely to find out eventually that they have been conned. Those oop north in the red wall constituencies (where most of my large extended family live) are likely to find out sooner rather than later.
It cant possibly go wrong, you silly.

Look how smoothly the process has gone so far. The huge inward investment. Gargantuan flocks of highly skilled workers beating a path to our doors.

All those trade deals done and dusted.

No chance whatsoever of even the possibility of a less than optimal outcome.

Latest Threads