Brexit Gambles?

Not interested in the politics/could have/should have blah blah blah remain/leave argument.

What I am interested in is any short term (over the next 3-6 months) Brexit related financial gambles. Not looking to invest a lot, maybe up to 2 Grand, as I say it's a gamble and will be treated as such.

Even if it's something as simple as shift some cash into US$, or Euros etc - what are your gambles you have planned, if any? Show your working, convince me and if it works i'll drop a few spondoolicks into a Forces Related Charity.

Any lunatics who suggest buying 3 tonnes of Basmati Rice and a shotgun will be mocked remorselessly.

I'm tracking GBP/CAD at the moment and have a look at Contracts For Difference (or a spreadbet) on some of the institutions particularly exposed to no-deal risks (travel, catering) and consider betting against them. Get your stops in and if it does go sideways you're not going to lose more than you planned. I expect that the downward swings will continue to be larger than the upside as the disaster debacle rolls on, even good news at this point from an investment perspective is still pretty crappy.

Bought some shares in Flybe when they were at 3.5p, I'm down a small fortune just now but hoping they creep up soon so I can cash in and capitalise on the antics that will kick off next month.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not interested in the politics/could have/should have blah blah blah remain/leave argument.

What I am interested in is any short term (over the next 3-6 months) Brexit related financial gambles. Not looking to invest a lot, maybe up to 2 Grand, as I say it's a gamble and will be treated as such.

Even if it's something as simple as shift some cash into US$, or Euros etc - what are your gambles you have planned, if any? Show your working, convince me and if it works i'll drop a few spondoolicks into a Forces Related Charity.

Any lunatics who suggest buying 3 tonnes of Basmati Rice and a shotgun will be mocked remorselessly.
No deal Brexit on the 29th March will net you a tidy 3.5 at Paddy Power. I'd be leery of bunging the whole £2k on it but worth some shekels.

Oh come on, that's not in the spirit of it. I want to be able to say "Don't give a fcuk about BREXIT, it paid for my caribbean cruise/weekend in Rome/Weekend in Rhyl/Fish & Chips at Skegness". Play the game!
Just use it to go on...

a weekend in Rome/Weekend in Rhyl/Fish & Chips at Skegness.

No loss and a win win.

No deal Brexit on the 29th March will net you a tidy 3.5 at Paddy Power. I'd be leery of bunging the whole £2k on it but worth some shekels.
Heilge scheisse! 365 are offering 3/1 on a No Leave Deal 29 March but a whopping 6/1 on a Leave Deal.

I made money on Trump being elected, and then more on the actual Brexit referendum, I might smash £50 on a No Deal Brexit, it'd make me snigger.

Depends what your timings are like.

The stock market will drop as people panic. Just buy up stock as it’ll bounce back again.

Why not hedge the bets and go for a small amount at a bookies on a soft brexit, and the bulk of your money in a forex like CHF for the likelihood of a GBP fall in the case of a hard brexit?

If there was a surefire investment/bet I'd have taken it, but in the absence of a crystal ball I'm not. Most of my savings are in CHF and about 10% in EUR. I'd be tempted to put 10% in GBP.

Buy 3 tonnes of Basmati Rice and a shotgun.

But as for me, I hadn’t even thought about what the bookies were offering. I am starting to think that a no deal Brexit might be a gamble worth making.

Invest the lot in shares in Honda.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’m planning on buying shed loads of Union Jack bumper stickers and loads of eu ones showing the middle finger.... I’ll pm you my bank details, Chuck in the two big ones and I’ll cut you in (10%?)

Oh come on, that's not in the spirit of it. I want to be able to say "Don't give a fcuk about BREXIT, it paid for my caribbean cruise/weekend in Rome/Weekend in Rhyl/Fish & Chips at Skegness". Play the game!
Surely it would also be possible to say, “Don’t give a **** about Brexit, it paid for my magnificent rice mountain and this lovely shotgun.”
Then, “GET YER LUVVERLY RICE ERE, CHEAPEST IN TOWN- ONLY A FARSAAND PAHND A BAG!!”

I've invested heavily in easily, and environmentally friendly*. combustible flags. To hedge my bets I'm manufacturing both EU and UK flags, though I'm a bit dependant on the container from China arriving on time.

*The carbon emitted by the burning of each flag will be offset by the planting of a small shrub.

You can bet on at least one more meltdown to Northern Biff standards...you can also guarantee the nobody will be happy with whatever the end result is.

Worth a punt with the bookies?

Gove for PM....

Second referendum

Heilge scheisse! 365 are offering 3/1 on a No Leave Deal 29 March but a whopping 6/1 on a Leave Deal.

I made money on Trump being elected, and then more on the actual Brexit referendum, I might smash £50 on a No Deal Brexit, it'd make me snigger.

Given your record I think it’s best you stay away this one :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 299
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 137