Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, given that Brussels had already warned Italy it is in breach of EU budget rules back last year, and they forecasted that would remain in breach in 2020, given the levels of extra spending, there's a likely starter there.

EU have quietly ditched their budget constraint rules.

If you can't fix the problem, fix the metric.

A genuine, genuine thought, and also a question.

what advantage (to the uk) would there be to an extension to the transition peiod?

previously extensions have been vigorously and enthusiastically endorsed by some, as far as I can see, to try and buy time to reverse a direction of travel, but surely no-one thinks such a reversal likely now.

do they?

what advantage (to the uk) would there be to an extension to the transition peiod?

previously extensions have been vigorously and enthusiastically endorsed by some, as far as I can see, to try and buy time to reverse a direction of travel, but surely no-one thinks such a reversal likely now.

do they?
No advantage whatsoever. All the EU are doing is trying to make it look like their blackmail demands were always going to be softened (they won't) and the horrid UK picked on them during cv19 so not their fault.

I hope we make our offer of a FTA firm and acceptable by the EU up to the end of the year and make it clear its a yes or no offer not a negotiating position.

do they?

IMO people have invested >3 years of their lives insisting they are unequivocally correct. For those who want to leave the EU, all good.

But imagine if you had spent more than 3 years of your life vociferously fighting against brexit only to have it overturned by democracy (again). I suspect that there are a great many people in a fugue state who are grasping at any straw that might confirm their righteous belief that the UK should remain part of the EU.

Fu*k 'em

Fabio Rampelli, Vice President of the Chamber of Deputies in Italy, removes the star spangled sphincter and puts up the Italian flag. At the end he says: " MAYBE WE SEE YOU LATER, MAYBE!"

Shortly before his political gesture, Fabio Rampelli said on Sky Tg 24, addressing the EU leadership:
“Europe has enjoyed Italy’s political weakness for many decades. Italy today does not want to be a waiter while others are eating lobsters like France and Germany. If you plan to take advantage of the emergency to bring countries like Italy or other countries with more fragile economies to their knees, Europe will have no future.”

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
I find this quite startling. Although a long time coming.

A very bold message to the eu from the Italians.

Just focusing through the COVID-19 prism what have the eu actually done? They've offered to organise a joint purchase of ventilators, but it's done what?

Easy stuff, like claiming EU victory in the Olympics, they're good at. Pretty much everything else they are terrible. It's like they're reading a script and can't deviate.

Status
Not open for further replies.