Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see Italy having any option but to exit, default and devalue at the moment. The northern states are fairly reasonably not handing them a blank cheque but that comes at the price of having them knacker the 'project', probably followed swiftly by spain, greece and portugal.
With any luck.

Call for modellers to support epidemic modelling

Call for Rapid Assistance in Modelling the Pandemic (RAMP)

The Royal Society Logo

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

Urgent call for modellers to support epidemic modelling
The Royal Society is coordinating a call for Rapid Assistance in Modelling the Pandemic (RAMP).

This urgent call to action is addressed to the scientific modelling community, and is a scheme to allow those with modelling skills (including data science) to contribute to current UK efforts in modelling the COVID-19 pandemic.

A willingness to work on specified tasks, and to deadlines, is needed. However, no previous experience in epidemic modelling, as such, is required of RAMP participants.

Full details of the scheme, with an online form to volunteer on behalf of your research group can be found here:

https://epcced.github.io/ramp/

If this link delivers an error message, please try pasting it directly into your browser or alternatively try:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/softmatter/research

Please draw this scheme to the attention of colleagues who may be interested.

The online survey form should be filled out as soon as practicable and, if at all possible, by 5pm on Thursday 2 April. The survey form will cease to operate completely a day or two after that.

Note that RAMP does not address molecular modelling of the virus itself or of new antivirals, vaccines, etc. These avenues are already the subject of various efforts and initiatives internationally, such as http://www.hecbiosim.ac.uk/covid-19

Best wishes

Venki Ramakrishnan
President

Not quiet the same as being asked to go back to my old job to stop kids playing football in the park, but you know.​
Are you really saying that everyone in the scientific community voted the same way?

Or have the voting patterns of scientists been established and the call has gone out only to those who voted in a particular way?

Truxx

LE
And yet it looks as if the German car industry are coming to save us.
This breathing device developed by UCL and Mercedes F1 team looks very promising - and less invasive than traditional ventilators. Mercedes say they can build 1000 a day!

#r4today #mondaythoughts
The merc thingy is not a ventilator.

It is a thing to assist breathing.

Good on them. But pray tell
Why can’t you remainers get the full picture and make a reasoned argument.

Is it because you are very stupid?
But I thought they were the clever ones? There are statistics and everything to prove it.

Truxx

LE
Are you really saying that everyone in the scientific community voted the same way?

Or have the voting patterns of scientists been established and the call has gone out only to those who voted in a particular way?
A couple of folks I know are both rabid leavers and eminent scientists with about 3 dozen patents between them.

They must have missed the memo.

Last edited:
:D :D :D

The EU has always been open to extending the transition period. The ball is now clearly in the British court ... So far, the UK government has constantly rejected such an option. Under the current circumstances, London should carefully re-examine a prolongation.”

What part of Fork Off do you not understand ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

That is a huge change of tone from the EU. They are still hoping to extend Brexit, and access to our money, for as long as possible but the wording is more pleading than last year. The statement could easily be reworded "Please, pretty please, give us an extension".

A straight foxtrot oscar from Boris should suffice and can easily be sent even though Covid-19 Vis playing merry hell with most things.

It is really striking Brussels now that they need us a lot more than we need them!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
That is a huge change of tone from the EU. They are still hoping to extend Brexit, and access to our money, for as long as possible but the wording is more pleading than last year. The statement could easily be reworded "Please, pretty please, give us an extension".

A straight foxtrot oscar from Boris should suffice and can easily be sent even though Covid-19 Vis playing merry hell with most things.

It is really striking Brussels now that they need us a lot more than we need them!
Don't read this, then:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Call for modellers to support epidemic modelling

Call for Rapid Assistance in Modelling the Pandemic (RAMP)

The Royal Society Logo

Dear XXXXXXXXXX

Urgent call for modellers to support epidemic modelling
The Royal Society is coordinating a call for Rapid Assistance in Modelling the Pandemic (RAMP).

This urgent call to action is addressed to the scientific modelling community, and is a scheme to allow those with modelling skills (including data science) to contribute to current UK efforts in modelling the COVID-19 pandemic.

A willingness to work on specified tasks, and to deadlines, is needed. However, no previous experience in epidemic modelling, as such, is required of RAMP participants.

Full details of the scheme, with an online form to volunteer on behalf of your research group can be found here:

https://epcced.github.io/ramp/

If this link delivers an error message, please try pasting it directly into your browser or alternatively try:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/research/softmatter/research

Please draw this scheme to the attention of colleagues who may be interested.

The online survey form should be filled out as soon as practicable and, if at all possible, by 5pm on Thursday 2 April. The survey form will cease to operate completely a day or two after that.

Note that RAMP does not address molecular modelling of the virus itself or of new antivirals, vaccines, etc. These avenues are already the subject of various efforts and initiatives internationally, such as http://www.hecbiosim.ac.uk/covid-19

Best wishes

Venki Ramakrishnan
President

Not quiet the same as being asked to go back to my old job to stop kids playing football in the park, but you know.​
And you know that they are all Remainers how?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't read this, then:

Longest post from you for a long time. It is worth noting that, while mentioning the following in their article the Indy did not comment on it

"Asked about the transition at a Downing Street press conference this week, the prime minister said: "It’s not a subject that’s being regularly discussed, I can tell you, in Downing Street at the moment.

“And we’re getting on with it. There’s legislation in place that I have no intention of changing." "

What benefits to the UK are there for needlessly extending Brexit deadlines again? I know the EU benefit from our lovely Treasury. We are still paying in to the EU, can you tell me how much aid we are receiving from them to help with Covid-19?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Longest post from you for a long time. It is worth noting that, while mentioning the following in their article the Indy did not comment on it

"Asked about the transition at a Downing Street press conference this week, the prime minister said: "It’s not a subject that’s being regularly discussed, I can tell you, in Downing Street at the moment.

“And we’re getting on with it. There’s legislation in place that I have no intention of changing." "

What benefits to the UK are there for needlessly extending Brexit deadlines again? I know the EU benefit from our lovely Treasury. We are still paying in to the EU, can you tell me how much aid we are receiving from them to help with Covid-19?
I did advise you not to read it.

The EU is quite literally on the cusp of imploding financially - whilst the national leaders are all arguing and getting nowhere and the EUs presidents have quite liiterally have no plan, Italy and Greeces economy is so bad that they are likely to collapse unless they get immediate massive support and when that doesnt happen watch out! the spanish and french banks hold great chunks of their debt - the contagion will be horrendous. The EU member states are desperate to keep us in as long as possible so we are liable for baol out pacxkages etc the boxheads and the frogs are trying to tie the italians into a greeke style bailout and the huge austerity but the italians have seen what happened to greece and want a different strategy - result is stalemate so they will all go0 down together

Last edited:
An extension to a negotiation under the circumstances would be entirely reasonable. However there is no negotiation taking place. The EU are just demanding we remain members in all but name but without a vote.

Timing when HMG announce that it's not happening will be tricky but my guess would be early May with an offer to extend the cut off from june to september to accept our offer of a FTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads