Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Gove says: “There is nothing that we can’t do as an independent nation that being part of that scheme would have allowed us to do.”

civvy

Old-Salt
I just had a look at the GTech ventilator on Youtube. Considering that it runs on compressed oxygen, it's scary as hell from a fire safety perspective.

It also looks to be very manpower intensive to operate, as it's just controlled by a pneumatic timer. It would need constant manual monitoring and medical staff will be in very short supply.
From the demo on TV, it certainly wasn't a polished product. It seemed to operate like a double acting steam engine with a rubber bag at each end and a shuttle running between them alternately compressing each bag. The valve drive mechanism was an inverted pendulum with an engineers v block as the bob. Because they had trouble making it work with a spring.

Since we need the ventilators like now it is better to something that works and can be easily mass produced.

Tyk

LE
There are expected to be multiple waves to the pandemic. During the 1919 pandemic the second wave was worse than the first.
It's possible, but the 1919 was a Flu virus which is rather small and prone to some mutation so immunity is less useful, Covid 19 is a corona virus similar in many ways to MERS and it's relatively big so far less likely to mutate, it's mutation that causes second waves. In fact I've been told in no uncertain terms by a biomedical scientist who I trust that it's very unlikely to mutate so herd immunity or an immunisation should limit the impact of waves.
Infection of the population that's avoided it by isolation is likely of course.
The Government is doing what they can, the aftermath economically will be ugly for the whole World.

It's possible, but the 1919 was a Flu virus which is rather small and prone to some mutation so immunity is less useful, Covid 19 is a corona virus similar in many ways to MERS and it's relatively big so far less likely to mutate, it's mutation that causes second waves. In fact I've been told in no uncertain terms by a biomedical scientist who I trust that it's very unlikely to mutate so herd immunity or an immunisation should limit the impact of waves.
Infection of the population that's avoided it by isolation is likely of course.
The Government is doing what they can, the aftermath economically will be ugly for the whole World.
In our present case the current "social distancing" measures are intended to stop the virus before it has infected everyone. This will leave a large population which are subject to infection before "herd immunity" has built up. These people will be the ones infected in the subsequent waves.

The "social distancing" measures are intended to "flatten the curve" before the health care resources are overwhelmed. However, they won't prevent the pandemic from coming back in subsequent waves, at least that is the case with the understanding of the disease we have now.

I previously posted a study by a highly respected London university which stated that subsequent waves are likely. This study is widely reported as forming the basis for the UK government's planning. They said that the disease is so widely spread around the world that unless a vaccine is developed first then it won't stop until roughly 80% of the population have had it, although that may take place over multiple waves.

What is the huge blind spot in our data now is who has already had the disease in a mild form and don't show up in the statistics of the numbers infected. If it turns out that in a few months time that very large numbers of people have already had the disease but haven't been diagnosed with it, then it will completely alter how things need to be managed subsequently.

One of the scientific advisors who appeared with PM Johnson during one of his early daily press briefings on the COVID-19 crisis said that development of a widely deployable test which could quickly show who has had it already, and can be therefore assumed to be immune at least in the short term, would be a complete game changer in how the crisis is managed.

it's relatively big so far less likely to mutate, it's mutation that causes second waves. In fact I've been told in no uncertain terms by a biomedical scientist who I trust that it's very unlikely to mutate
I believe it's already got two strains- I was reading about the "L type" and "S type".

In our present case the current "social distancing" measures are intended to stop the virus before it has infected everyone. This will leave a large population which are subject to infection before "herd immunity" has built up. These people will be the ones infected in the subsequent waves.

The "social distancing" measures are intended to "flatten the curve" before the health care resources are overwhelmed. However, they won't prevent the pandemic from coming back in subsequent waves, at least that is the case with the understanding of the disease we have now.

I previously posted a study by a highly respected London university which stated that subsequent waves are likely. This study is widely reported as forming the basis for the UK government's planning. They said that the disease is so widely spread around the world that unless a vaccine is developed first then it won't stop until roughly 80% of the population have had it, although that may take place over multiple waves.

What is the huge blind spot in our data now is who has already had the disease in a mild form and don't show up in the statistics of the numbers infected. If it turns out that in a few months time that very large numbers of people have already had the disease but haven't been diagnosed with it, then it will completely alter how things need to be managed subsequently.

One of the scientific advisors who appeared with PM Johnson during one of his early daily press briefings on the COVID-19 crisis said that development of a widely deployable test which could quickly show who has had it already, and can be therefore assumed to be immune at least in the short term, would be a complete game changer in how the crisis is managed.
Its why I have being strongly arguing that international air travel, beyond a certain distance should be curtailed, beyond the point the population returns to work.. Perhaps for the next two years, anywhere beyond europe and the united states, is a no no.

That would insulate and buy time, extending those wave effects and at least stopping another neccessary shutdown.

I know who are along with your mate Wrinkly. Wrinkly chooses to keep a low profile, unlike you.
Whit? You haven't got a Scooby you button mashing licker of skips.

God bless democracy and god bless the sensible, patriotic voters of this United Kingdom.......
The same voters having beach parties or BBQs whilst on lock down, and going on the piss the night before lockdown? The same voters visiting their 79 year old friends because its a nice summer and winter was miserable? The same supporters of Brexit like Tim Martin who said to keep pubs open during the pandemic? Those sensible voters?

Or the voters who say they trust the governments modelling on the outcomes of COVID-19, but they don't trust the governments modelling on the outcomes of Brexit, despite both types of modelling using the same techniques, same software, same training, and in some instances, the same experts? Those sensible voters?

Quite.

Last edited:
The same voters having beach parties or BBQs whilst on lock down, and going on the piss the night before lockdown? The same voters visiting their 79 year old friends because its a nice summer and winter was miserable? The same supporters of Brexit like Tim Martin who said to keep pubs open during the pandemic?

Those sensible voters?
Are you saying none of the above were remainers?

The same voters having beach parties or BBQs whilst on lock down, and going on the piss the night before lockdown? The same voters visiting their 79 year old friends because its a nice summer and winter was miserable? The same supporters of Brexit like Tim Martin who said to keep pubs open during the pandemic?

Those sensible voters?
. . . and just to really mess with your head, I wonder how many of those folk voted 'Remain'?

You, of course, will have the answer to that one?

Those sensible voters?
Did you party, BBQ or go on the piss the night before lockdown?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads