Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
re the ventilators.Lets say we get 20,000 of them in a few weeks time.After the crisis what happens to them? Put into storage for the next pandemic? sold off the other countries?
Put into storage for the next pandemic I expect.Not just the Chinese with disgusting eating habits.

re the ventilators.Lets say we get 20,000 of them in a few weeks time.After the crisis what happens to them? Put into storage for the next pandemic? sold off the other countries?
Id hang on to them and use some in foreign aid, but be nice and give them freely.
IIRC, chest infections and breathing issues seem to be common end of life factors with every pandemic, so be good to have a few for the next round.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The evil EU strikes again. FFS.:p:p:p

'Could this be the ultimate revenge for Brexit? The coronavrius that has laid Boris Johnson low may have passed into Westminster’s inner circle via the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, according to one theory.

'The Mail on Sunday has traced connections between those known to have the virus in an attempt to identify Downing Street’s possible ‘Patient Zero’ – the first person in a community to become infected. And suspicion has fallen on a meeting in Brussels on March 5 between Mr Barnier and David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, which opened the first round of talks on a post-Brexit trade deal.'

The evil EU strikes again. FFS.:p:p:p

'Could this be the ultimate revenge for Brexit? The coronavrius that has laid Boris Johnson low may have passed into Westminster’s inner circle via the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, according to one theory.

'The Mail on Sunday has traced connections between those known to have the virus in an attempt to identify Downing Street’s possible ‘Patient Zero’ – the first person in a community to become infected. And suspicion has fallen on a meeting in Brussels on March 5 between Mr Barnier and David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, which opened the first round of talks on a post-Brexit trade deal.'

It is true that barny has lurgy.

It's possible he's given it to folk he's been in contact with.

Just as possible he's caught it from a Brit.

Human nature. Why should different European nations be any different from states within one nation when it comes to apparent self-preservation?
It was you who made a song and dance about the UK not being part of the mighty EU's medical aid fiasco.

It was you who claimed that I was spreading Chinese propaganda and asked if I wanted a medal.

I neither spread propaganda nor am I in need of medals.

The first of up to 10 flights to be sent to China to pick up medical equipment for Ireland is on its way back.

More than €225m had been spent on personal protective equipment for Irish health workers, said the minister for health, Simon Harris. Usually around €15m is spent in a year.

A creaking dinosaur like the EU is not what is needed when you have a fluid and fast moving situation to deal with.

Curiouser and curiouser. It's not as if there's a worldwide oversupply so the UK, if not needing them for domestic use, couldn't offload them abroad.

'CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

'Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago. A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.'

'Boris Johnson's opening words during a phone call with Donald Trump this week paints a grim picture for the UK as it continues to battle against coronavirus.According to the President, the Prime Minister, who revealed he had tested positive for Covid-19 on Friday morning, didn't even bother with 'hello' as the pair talked about the global pandemic, instead issuing one desperate request. Speaking to reporters, Trump said: "Before he even said hello he said, 'we need ventilators.'"

According to this source,
the context for the conversation between Johnson and Trump is that Trump was defending his officials with regards to how they were using emergency defence procurement regulations to order medical supplies from non-medical suppliers. Read the actual words which Trump says, rather than the reporter's interpretation of them.
But Trump invoked Korean War-era legislation to order the General Motors car giant to switch production lines to make ventilators.

The president said the UK PM issued an instant plea to him regarding the machines when they spoke after Johnson’s positive test for Covid-19.

“If we make too many that’s going to be OK because I spoke to the prime minister of the UK yesterday.” said Trump.

“And before I even was able to get a word out of him... I said, ‘How you doing?’ and he said, ‘We need ventilators’.

“The UK needs ventilators, a lot of countries need ventilators, badly.”
Note that the actual statement as related by Trump was that "the UK needs ventilators, a lot of countries need ventilators, badly".

Now given that this is Trump I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the two of them even discussing ventilators at all. Trump is noted for simply making things up to suit his agenda. He seems to take the idea of relating actual events as being a very flexible concept which can be altered or embellished to illustrate whatever point he wants to make at the time. It is not at all unusual for other people to have a completely different recollection of a conversation than the version that Trump has given (although it's not considered very diplomatic to say so).

If they did discuss ventilators, then there should be no surprise that Johnson would have said that ventilators were a high priority for the UK. Everybody else in every other country is saying the same thing.

Note the "a lot of countries need ventilators" part of the statement as well. If you have any familiarity with the way Trump operates, this should sound familiar. He says things like that when he wants to justify what he is doing by saying that other people are doing it too. It will go along the lines of "but Boris is doing it, everybody else is doing it, so it's OK if I do it too".

I haven't seen anything which suggests that the idea that Johnson made any sort of "plea" to Trump during their conversation as being anything other than the press making a conclusion based on what they want to see published rather than what the actual evidence supports.

Last edited:
They've got to actually do the job ;-) Consortium are assembling some to an already approved design. Dyson are going to assemble some which are portable and not to currently approved design. What you don't want are lots of different ones with the myriad maintenance and spares nightmare accompanying it.
Regarding your last point about maintenance and spares, from what I understand the shortage of medical staff who will know anything about using ventilators is going to be as acute as the ventilators themselves. The staff are going to be running off their feet as it is and are not going to have the time to be babysitting and troubleshooting temperamental and experimental new designs while the bug are worked out. They are going to want machines they can plug in, turn on, and know how they are going to work right away so they can go on to dealing with the next patient.

It should not be surprising if the emphasis is on rapldly scaling up production of a few existing proven designs, rather than setting up new production of a plethora of new designs created by people who had never even heard of a ventilator a few weeks ago.

There are expected to be multiple waves to the pandemic. During the 1919 pandemic the second wave was worse than the first.

The G-Tech one was on the television the other day. I think it was unusual in not needing an external power supply. It was powered by the hospital oxygen supply. Perhaps that's why it hasn't gone anywhere.
I just had a look at the GTech ventilator on Youtube. Considering that it runs on compressed oxygen, it's scary as hell from a fire safety perspective.

It also looks to be very manpower intensive to operate, as it's just controlled by a pneumatic timer. It would need constant manual monitoring and medical staff will be in very short supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads