Brexit Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. I got my fortune told me (sans coffee) by someone nameless but senior.

All I did was say that all 3 contenders in the trial were w*nk.
Speaking truth to power is always a dangerous business, but at least you can look yourself in the mirror without feeling guilty about it. I'm having a similar experience at the moment. 'Be agnostic, challenge the status quo (but don't disturb the sacred cows while they mindlessily chew on their cud)'.

Truxx

LE
Speaking truth to power is always a dangerous business, but at least you can look yourself in the mirror without feeling guilty about it. I'm having a similar experience at the moment. 'Be agnostic, challenge the status quo (but don't disturb the sacred cows while they mindlessily chew on their cud)'.
A lesson that I took a while to learn, sadly.

A lesson that I took a while to learn, sadly.
But at least you can sleep straight in bed at night (unless the fecking tintitis and other voices kick your bonce about - or the missus).

A very biased report which accuses the PM of playing politics while the whole article is purely about playing politics! There is nothing in the article to suggest that the actions taken by the UK are going to be slower/worse than the EU. There is nothing to say what is being done other than 27 MS have clubbed together to place orders - I wonder what the distribution will be: equal or to the largest payers?
Curiouser and curiouser. It's not as if there's a worldwide oversupply so the UK, if not needing them for domestic use, couldn't offload them abroad.

'CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

'Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago. A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.'

'Boris Johnson's opening words during a phone call with Donald Trump this week paints a grim picture for the UK as it continues to battle against coronavirus.According to the President, the Prime Minister, who revealed he had tested positive for Covid-19 on Friday morning, didn't even bother with 'hello' as the pair talked about the global pandemic, instead issuing one desperate request. Speaking to reporters, Trump said: "Before he even said hello he said, 'we need ventilators.'"

daz

LE
Curiouser and curiouser. It's not as if there's a worldwide oversupply so the UK, if not needing them for domestic use, couldn't offload them abroad.

'CITY-BASED manufacture Gtech has been told by the government to not produce much-needed ventilators less than a week after getting the go-ahead, the company’s chief executive has said.

'Nick Grey, chief executive of Gtech, said he had been advised by the government on Thursday (March 27) to not push forward with production of ventilators, despite answering a call for help to assist in producing more than 30,000 ventilators, less than two weeks ago. A statement from the Gtech chief executive said: “Thank you so much for offering to help Gtech with our medical ventilator. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by everyone’s support and generosity.'

'Boris Johnson's opening words during a phone call with Donald Trump this week paints a grim picture for the UK as it continues to battle against coronavirus.According to the President, the Prime Minister, who revealed he had tested positive for Covid-19 on Friday morning, didn't even bother with 'hello' as the pair talked about the global pandemic, instead issuing one desperate request. Speaking to reporters, Trump said: "Before he even said hello he said, 'we need ventilators.'"

Could it be that it failed to pass the necessary acceptance trials ?

Could it be that it failed to pass the necessary acceptance trials ?
Possibly; those same tests that Dyson's design hasn't yet passed either. Also like Dyson's design, there doesn't appear to be anything to test, and thereby fail, yet - “We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world".

daz

LE
Possibly; those same tests that Dyson's design hasn't yet passed either. Also like Dyson's design, there doesn't appear to be anything to test, and thereby fail, yet - “We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world".
In Gtech's case "Gtech produced two more ventilators, submitting these to the government for assessment." taken from this page on their website COVID19 Ventilators Hence wondering about it being knocked back as not suitable, rather than joining the social media crowds who are claiming that HMG would rather give contracts to Tory donors such as Dyson.

In Gtech's case "Gtech produced two more ventilators, submitting these to the government for assessment." taken from this page on their website COVID19 Ventilators Hence wondering about it being knocked back as not suitable, rather than joining the social media crowds who are claiming that HMG would rather give contracts to Tory donors such as Dyson.
I hadn't seen that, and this site is about my limit for 'social media', so hadn't seen the conspiracy theory either. It does seem to me though, that the relevant government departments are sending unclear and very mixed messages, particularly if Trump's quote is in any way accurate. (I believe very little of what Trump says, but can't see why he'd fabricate this; there's no apparent advantage for him in doing so.)

daz

LE
I hadn't seen that, and this site is about my limit for 'social media', so hadn't seen the conspiracy theory either. It does seem that the relevant government departments are sending unclear and very mixed messages though.
FB, mainly to keep in touch with the Daughters, even given the limited number of people on there, the conspiracy theories still crop up, including that "Blame the F~~king Tories giving contracts to their mates" one. I'd agree that the relevant government departments could manage the messages better, a simple statement along the lines of "great effort, but it's not suitable for use" might have helped.

Is there a case for summat is better than nowt ref ventilators ? I know jack about them btw.

What Boris might have meant was that we need ventilators asap and we're prepared to take them from anywhere, the sooner the better. If Trump has any to spare, we'll have the buggers if they can get here sooner than we can make them. I can't fault that. That said, it would be nice to know a more meaningful messages ref what we're doing as @daz pointed out.

Is there a case for summat is better than nowt ref ventilators ? I know jack about them btw.

What Boris might have meant was that we need ventilators asap and we're prepared to take them from anywhere, the sooner the better. If Trump has any to spare, we'll have the buggers if they can get here sooner than we can make them. I can't fault that. That said, it would be nice to know a more meaningful messages ref what we're doing as @daz pointed out.
I think the US have their own problems, don’t expect ventilators from them anytime soon.

March 27 (GMT)
  • alert
    18691 new cases and 401 new deaths in the United States

NEW YORK (from New York Governor Cuomo daily briefing):
    • Apex of hospital need could be in 21 days from now in New York
    • All hospitals need to increase capacity by 50%, some by 100%
    • Need a total of 140,000 hospital beds. Currently have 53,000 (an additional 87,000 hospital beds are needed)
    • Need a total of 40,000 ICU beds. Currently have 3,000, with 3,000 ventilators. An additional 37,000 ICU beds are needed
    • Will use college dormitories, hotels, nursing homes, and all possible space by converting it to hospitals if needed in April
    • 138,376 people have been tested
    • Schools will stay closed for an additional 2 weeks after April 1, to then reassess the situation and extend again if needed. 180 days requirement has been waived

civvy

Old-Salt
The G-Tech one was on the television the other day. I think it was unusual in not needing an external power supply. It was powered by the hospital oxygen supply. Perhaps that's why it hasn't gone anywhere.

The Ventilator UK Challenge group will start producing ventilators, to a current design, on Monday. These are British companies who are cooperating together to produce them and they'll be sold to our NHS at cost price.
Dyson is awaiting formal approval of their design before going into production, one very big plus point is that they already have the fans.
I think we'll have ventilators coming out of our ears in a couple of weeks.

We don't need fancy technical solutions.

We need bog standard ventilators. Plug in, turn on.
They've got to actually do the job ;-) Consortium are assembling some to an already approved design. Dyson are going to assemble some which are portable and not to currently approved design. What you don't want are lots of different ones with the myriad maintenance and spares nightmare accompanying it.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
They've got to actually do the job ;-) Consortium are assembling some to an already approved design. Dyson are going to assemble some which are portable and not to currently approved design. What you don't want are lots of different ones with the myriad maintenance and spares nightmare accompanying it.
Yep. And the mhra are frankly ******* ruthless about quality. While it makes my job troublesome (while paradoxically ensuring I have a job) they are insistant on devices and medicines actually working and not causing harm. Thus I can't complain when they deliver an almighty kick in the bollocks to healthcare manufacturers.

I'm giving the wife bread making lessons this weekend, I'm not holding out much hope, she burns water! If it was anything like the lesson in making a Fish Pie, I'll be talking to myself as she'll have fucked off to the front room to watch telly!
What made you marry her rather than cull her?

I note from MSN the explanation given for the er hiccup in communication re ventilators was due largely to the interpretation of us having left/ er still a member of the EU during the transition period. Now it does rather beg an interesting question. WHO are laying into the UK gov via the lancet that they had been recommending testing from January 20th at a time when we were just being informed in the media of the covid 19 breakout-previously coronavirus, in which case of course the EU should have been doing much the same thing to avoid the naughtiness in Italy. It was not until later March that we were informed that the UK should have applied for the splendiforous equipment that the EU has stockpiled. This is going to turn into a real turkey fest of a blame game and I suspect Boris will be coming out of this more than ok. Moreover I understand that Germany is now going to assist Italy- perhaps the EU will claim that it's now co-ordinating things so much better. Merkwuerdig that's fer sure. I would try and post the link but it's rather difficult to post the URL

Status
Not open for further replies.