Brexit Endgame

Of course.

Using an exploited foreign workforce (paid minimum wage, but 'milked' for overcrowded accom and transport) is now a thing of the past, and the profits must be maintained by other means.

Every excuse is used to hike prices.

Weather too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet.

Fears for a new drop in workers rights.

Right up to the point where a decent wage is demanded, which is then kyboshed to insulate the economy (read profit).
Just go back to the old ways.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nope, I spent one night in cadets and some fat Cadet instructor told me my mullet would have to go. That was the end of my cadet career. It was the 1980s ad I was too cool for school.
Not with a mullet, you weren't!

Truxx

LE
Of course.

Using an exploited foreign workforce (paid minimum wage, but 'milked' for overcrowded accom and transport) is now a thing of the past, and the profits must be maintained by other means.

Every excuse is used to hike prices.

Weather too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet.

Fears for a new drop in workers rights.

Right up to the point where a decent wage is demanded, which is then kyboshed to insulate the economy (read profit).
A-men brother.

If i still lived on the fens and we were obliged to pull up the drawbridge at the workshop here ( dispite my abilites to "spin" I would struggle to describe it as essential) I would sign up.

You can drive tractors and everything.

Truxx

LE
A thought occurred earlier in the context of the current COVIDsituation.

At its height, projekt fear predicted all sorts of things from grounded flights to veg rotting in the fields.

Many, here and elsewhere, suggested, by way of balance, that there were greater issues than merely leaving the EU.

If you were one of those people, and without taking anything from the seriousness of the pandemic, you may now award yourselves a quiet "I told you so"

Carry on.

No, I only know 2 of the said folk that you speak. One was very tall and the other was good at badminton and now owns a pig farm down Taunton way.
What capbadge were you?

On a positive side.

the stockpiling and preparations for a no deal BrEXIT have left the UK in a much better place to fight Covid-19

Truxx

LE
That was how I read it at first.

I would get to Specsavers but under current govt advice I will just have to crack on as is. Mrs truxx and I are already on for a provisions thunder run later and dont want to complicate that at all.

Also posted in the farming thread. With all the unemployed British yoof around due to COVID-19, I wonder how many of them will want to get off their arrses and get their hands dirty? Maybe 'Land Army' National Service is the answer?

'The U.K. organization for farmers, landowners and businesses in rural England and Wales has said labor shortages caused by coronavirus could be devastating for this years' harvest. They are calling for a 'land army' of local labor to be recruited to assist the sector, which expects to see its labor supply cut by 75% as EU workers who normally come to the U.K. to work for the harvest season are prevented from coming.

'The U.K. agriculture sector was already in trouble, heavily reliant on EU workers as it is. Since the Brexit referendum in 2016, when the U.K. voted to leave the European Union, labor supply from the mainland has been dwindling, and the government's recent immigration stance emphasizing high-skilled migration has provided little comfort.

'Now, thanks to coronavirus, we are seeing what happens when borders are totally closed to foreign workers, at least for one sector. According to the CLA, the agriculture sector usually uses around 60,000 seasonal laborers per year to complete the harvest, and they expect only around 25% of that amount this year. Factor in a 20% coronavirus infection rate the CLA is reckoning with, and they estimate some 80,000 people will need to be mobilized to protect Britain's harvest.'

Oh dear the much vaunted automation of farming machinery promised in the 1960’s clearly hasn’t happened.

Also posted in the farming thread. With all the unemployed British yoof around due to COVID-19, I wonder how many of them will want to get off their arrses and get their hands dirty? Maybe 'Land Army' National Service is the answer?

'The U.K. organization for farmers, landowners and businesses in rural England and Wales has said labor shortages caused by coronavirus could be devastating for this years' harvest. They are calling for a 'land army' of local labor to be recruited to assist the sector, which expects to see its labor supply cut by 75% as EU workers who normally come to the U.K. to work for the harvest season are prevented from coming.

'The U.K. agriculture sector was already in trouble, heavily reliant on EU workers as it is. Since the Brexit referendum in 2016, when the U.K. voted to leave the European Union, labor supply from the mainland has been dwindling, and the government's recent immigration stance emphasizing high-skilled migration has provided little comfort.

'Now, thanks to coronavirus, we are seeing what happens when borders are totally closed to foreign workers, at least for one sector. According to the CLA, the agriculture sector usually uses around 60,000 seasonal laborers per year to complete the harvest, and they expect only around 25% of that amount this year. Factor in a 20% coronavirus infection rate the CLA is reckoning with, and they estimate some 80,000 people will need to be mobilized to protect Britain's harvest.'

When I was younger - British people used to do all these jobs, fruit picking, vegetables and potatoes..the money was crap and the conditions were equally as crap. I know the people that used to run the squads of people doing this. One day they tipped up as normal and were told to go home as the farms had started employing loads of foreigners from the EU because they were cheaper to employ.

Now if you ask me - these farmers have nobody to blame for this apart from themselves - If you treat people like crap, don't expect them to want to wok for you ever again.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Working the fields was, allegedly, the reason for long school holidays, freeing up the children (and teachers) to work the harvest. All changed now, except the long holidays.

I see the lib dems are up in arms because were not joining the common EU efforts to sort out this corona-wuhan virus... Its astonishing how fixed in mind are our opponents. Literally they're can't move an inch in any direction without a committee of 28 agreeing the direction of all.

I prefer the UK get things done NOW, over brussels any day of the week.

I see the lib dems are up in arms because were not joining the common EU efforts to sort out this corona-wuhan virus... Its astonishing how fixed in mind are our opponents. Literally they're can't move an inch in any direction without a committee of 28 agreeing the direction of all.

We're moving along nicely.

The eu? Not so much.

From what I gather every ms is just doing their own thing, whilst the eu desperately tries to be relevant.

I'm all for passing relevant info, what we find works, anything that doesn't detract from our own efforts.

These idiots still don't get it. Looking at the language from the EU it's all about dickwaving as the 'worlds biggest economic bloc' to drive down costs. Within reason feck costs, we need the machines and the supplies. So a hell of a lot better to be able to negotiate with the authority to do a deal immediately and funds good to go than fanny about in a multi staged process that requires agreement by 28 countries with wildly varying financial resources.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
These idiots still don't get it. Looking at the language from the EU it's all about dickwaving as the 'worlds biggest economic bloc' to drive down costs. Within reason feck costs, we need the machines and the supplies. So a hell of a lot better to be able to negotiate with the authority to do a deal immediately and funds good to go than fanny about in a multi staged process that requires agreement by 28 countries with wildly varying financial resources.
Not necessarily:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not necessarily:

I note there is no delivery date for these ventilators from the EU magic cupboard, nor is there a guarantee that they would actually allocate many (any) to the UK. Just another BBC rant which can be filed with the rest of their tosh!

Latest Threads