Brexit Endgame

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I could claim to be a Mortar Man, but I am not. I did once see a very similar activity taking place by members of 42 Comando while drunk. All very jovial. 4 weeks later on change over the KOSBR turned up, drank lots of whiskeys and organised inter platoon bare-knuckle boxing. Not so jovial, certainly more interesting and most defiantly less homoerotic.
That sounds par for the course, being the Kosbies.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:
I could claim to be a Mortar Man, but I am not. I did once see a very similar activity taking place by members of 42 Comando while drunk (them not I). All very jovial. 4 weeks later on change round the KOSBR turned up, drank lots of whiskey and organised inter platoon bare-knuckle boxing. Not so jovial, certainly more interesting and most defiantly less homoerotic @Auld-Yin Streetwise and harder than coffin nails.
Were you Pay Corps then AGC?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

45x45

LE
Good news story. Rhys was one of the Doctors at 16 Air Assault (Lt Col) 2 Para MO for a while I believe. He's been around the block.

Good news story. Rhys was one of the Doctors at 16 Air Assault (Lt Col) 2 Para MO for a while I believe. He's been around the block.

Very good. Now do you think his Welshness crossed his mind as he worked on the project or are people saying his Welshness makes him special?

Also posted in the farming thread. With all the unemployed British yoof around due to COVID-19, I wonder how many of them will want to get off their arrses and get their hands dirty? Maybe 'Land Army' National Service is the answer?

'The U.K. organization for farmers, landowners and businesses in rural England and Wales has said labor shortages caused by coronavirus could be devastating for this years' harvest. They are calling for a 'land army' of local labor to be recruited to assist the sector, which expects to see its labor supply cut by 75% as EU workers who normally come to the U.K. to work for the harvest season are prevented from coming.

'The U.K. agriculture sector was already in trouble, heavily reliant on EU workers as it is. Since the Brexit referendum in 2016, when the U.K. voted to leave the European Union, labor supply from the mainland has been dwindling, and the government's recent immigration stance emphasizing high-skilled migration has provided little comfort.

'Now, thanks to coronavirus, we are seeing what happens when borders are totally closed to foreign workers, at least for one sector. According to the CLA, the agriculture sector usually uses around 60,000 seasonal laborers per year to complete the harvest, and they expect only around 25% of that amount this year. Factor in a 20% coronavirus infection rate the CLA is reckoning with, and they estimate some 80,000 people will need to be mobilized to protect Britain's harvest.'

Also posted in the farming thread. With all the unemployed British yoof around due to COVID-19, I wonder how many of them will want to get off their arrses and get their hands dirty? Maybe 'Land Army' National Service is the answer?

'The U.K. organization for farmers, landowners and businesses in rural England and Wales has said labor shortages caused by coronavirus could be devastating for this years' harvest. They are calling for a 'land army' of local labor to be recruited to assist the sector, which expects to see its labor supply cut by 75% as EU workers who normally come to the U.K. to work for the harvest season are prevented from coming.

'The U.K. agriculture sector was already in trouble, heavily reliant on EU workers as it is. Since the Brexit referendum in 2016, when the U.K. voted to leave the European Union, labor supply from the mainland has been dwindling, and the government's recent immigration stance emphasizing high-skilled migration has provided little comfort.

'Now, thanks to coronavirus, we are seeing what happens when borders are totally closed to foreign workers, at least for one sector. According to the CLA, the agriculture sector usually uses around 60,000 seasonal laborers per year to complete the harvest, and they expect only around 25% of that amount this year. Factor in a 20% coronavirus infection rate the CLA is reckoning with, and they estimate some 80,000 people will need to be mobilized to protect Britain's harvest.'

Having witnessed many of them buying a months worth of lager in asda on saturday, I am quietly confident that is a pool of manpower that you won't be able to tap.... Its possible the student populace might step up, now their interminable holidays are cancelled. But probably have a sick note to avoid any physical work.

We both know who is the only pool of healthy young men willing to follow orders and if they're welsh might even find some love in those fields and amidst the heather.

They could always try paying a decent wage.

... which would be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher food prices.
Bearing in mind you could be working 12 hour days to bring the harvest in, and the old fashioned comradeship that comes with the satisfaction of a job well done. And maybe a few beers.

A first or second year uni student could earn £1,500 in a month. Assuming six ten hours days a week for four weeks. Untaxed. Assuming that they earn minimum wage and excluding accommodation. Which many farmers throw in free, albeit basic, along with scran.

Current rates
These rates are for the National Living Wage and the National Minimum Wage. The rates change every April.

Year25 and over21 to 2418 to 20Under 18Apprentice
April 2019 (current rate)£8.21£7.70£6.15£4.35£3.90
April 2020£8.72£8.20£6.45£4.55£4.15

Last edited:
... which would be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher food prices.
Of course.

Using an exploited foreign workforce (paid minimum wage, but 'milked' for overcrowded accom and transport) is now a thing of the past, and the profits must be maintained by other means.

Every excuse is used to hike prices.

Weather too cold, too hot, too dry, too wet.

Fears for a new drop in workers rights.

Right up to the point where a decent wage is demanded, which is then kyboshed to insulate the economy (read profit).

Latest Threads