Brexit Endgame

If Little Leo had a time machine, I wonder if he'd go back in time and try to persuade the EU not to weaponise the Irish border. The ROI is bidding fair to suffer a significant economic downturn next year as a consequence of Brexit - and all because Varadkar wanted to be the EU's hardman.

So as well as being an ex-Taoiseach due to leading Fine Gael to their worst ever election result, he may also go down in Irish history as the author of a self-induced recession.

Wordsmith
Globalists are all nationalists, when something noxious hits the fan... I would imagine our Irish cousins, could rely on the goodwill of the hated british government and good luck getting the same consideration from brussels.

Ireland dear boy, Ireland.

its terrifying the EU.

Boris says no border checks, ROI say they won’t do border checks as the troubles will kick off.
ergo, everything entering the ROI has to be assumed to be evil UK market flooding of the EU by the back door by Brussels

only solution for the EU?

they will have to effectively shut Ireland out of the EU behind the same border as the UK.
One might find for this period of time the two tricolours don’t match. My advice to Ireland at the moment, keep your enemies close, keep your friends closer

An interesting one from the ECB

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde repeated her call on Wednesday for euro zone governments to use their budgetary leeway to boost growth amid the bloc’s slowdown.

Fiscal measures intended to support the economy are certainly very welcome, particularly under present circumstances,”

The only 2 EZ Countries that I can see who could do this is Germany and Holland.. I doubt if there is any other EZ Country that could do that without breaking EU financial rules / or have an economy that is too small to make much of a difference.

Is the head of the ECB saying F**k the rules ?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
An interesting one from the ECB

The only 2 EZ Countries that I can see who could do this is Germany and Holland.. I doubt if there is any other EZ Country that could do that without breaking EU financial rules / or have an economy that is too small to make much of a difference.

Is the head of the ECB saying F**k the rules ?
Most of the eurozone countries are already in breach of the eurozone rules and have been for many years. For example, your debt to GDP ratio should be no more than 60%. France's is a trifling 98.4% - and that's better than a lot of countries.

Mind you, Lararde was head of the IMF - and she said f*ck the rules there to get the IMF to take part in the Greek bailout in the aftermath of the Lehman crash. Which is why she's no longer had of the IMF.

The IMF is now run by Kristalina Georgieva, who hails from that economic titan Bulgaria and thus has practical hands on experience of running a major economy.

Wordsmith

The IMF is now run by Kristalina Georgieva, who hails from that economic titan Bulgaria and thus has practical hands on experience of running a major economy.

Wordsmith

hush now!
few other countries are as good at graft, corruption and extortion as the Bulgarians!

ACAB

LE
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/25/boris-johnson-stands-firm-brussels-demands-uk-falls-trade-talks/

Can you think of how bad it would have been for the UK had we signed up to May's disastrous Working Agreement, which we could not have exited without the EU's permission, and which all trade disputes would have been decided on in perpetuity by the ECJ?

We'd have had to agree to perpetual alignment with EU rules and regulations, sign over our fishing waters, agree not to undercut the EU on tax rates, have a border down the middle of the Irish sea and so on and so forth.

Radio silence from May and Olly Robbins. Also radio silence from the many politicians and commentators who sad May's deal was the best we were going to get. Amazing how the Remainerattii no longer want to remember May's agreement and what it would have meant for the UK.

Any Remaineratti on ARRSE want to tell us what a great opportunity we lost by not signing up to May's agreement?

Wordsmith
We dodged a bullet there matey boy!!!!!

Wordsmith
Saw her interviewed on Hardtalk, came across extremely well.

Far more likely to be the effect of corona virus. I think IATA have come up with a cost so far projected of 23billion [euros]. That will have far more effect than Brexit ever will.
it’s also an opportunity for UK companies to try to steal business back from China - after this flu thing and the inevitable stock market panics a lot of western countries are going to be re thinking their single point of failure (China) supply chains - without going into detail my project is already impacted by Chinese factory closures and there’s no definite end date in sight but the project timescale can’t wait for ever

Oyibo

LE
so are all the snowflakes in uni and their very left wing/liberal tutors! - all the intelligence in the world but feck all experience or common sense!
FOC.

Everyone in the EU accordingly pays more for their food because of the CAP - which can't be modified because France will veto any changes. (Despite that cnut Blair giving up a third of our rebate in return for a promise of CAP reform).

Wordsmith

The reason for this is political. If the EU allowed market forces to regulate production relative to demand, prices would fall and large numbers of farmers with small holdings would go out of business. Then (for example) Marcon, who has plenty of other troubles, would have farmers spraying government offices with manure and erecting barricades of burning tyres in the streets.

Everyone in the EU accordingly pays more for their food because of the CAP - which can't be modified because France will veto any changes. (Despite that cnut Blair giving up a third of our rebate in return for a promise of CAP reform).

Wordsmith
It's us mugs that pay for that business protection plan.

But that strategy provoked anger in the Baltic states, which Mr Blair visited yesterday. The Estonian Prime Minister, Andrus Ansip, said: "Solidarity means for us that rich countries have to help those countries that are not so rich."

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Indeed. Another 32 posts shitcanned to the aforementioned thread.

2 weeks ban in place for the main contenders.

Before anyone whinges, you should know better. I've given enough warnings. Save it for complaining to Admin if you think I'm being unreasonable.
Check, check.

Safe this time from the tyranny of moderation.

Latest Threads