Brexit Endgame

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, in un autre portion de la manche.....

Actually on refection and bearing in mind the serious nature of this debate, is there anything we really need or want from the ffrench?
Boris is not being very sporting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/23/boris-johnson-piles-pressure-eus-brexit-time-wasters-kick-starting/
Boris Johnson is set to kick start trade talks with the US within the next two weeks, amid frustration in Number 10 at EU “time wasting.” The Prime Minister will next week (March 2) publish the Government’s “red lines” for its US trade negotiations which are expected to push back on US demands for its drug and health firms to have greater access to the British market.
The EU may just find that 'time wasting' allows more nimble footed countries to sign trade deals with the UK while its faffing about convinced it has the whip hand in negotiations.

Which frankly is what I think will happen - the EU will procrastinate away and then find the world has moved on without it.

Wordsmith

45x45

LE
you really should read Spiegel, the opportunities between Cardiff and Berlin
Dr. Monika Hennemann, Dozentin an der Universität Cardiff, spricht über die einzigartigen kreativen Entfaltungsmöglichkeiten in Wales

In stead of berating the leavers.......... Oh I'm sorry it's not in Welsh- Perhaps German will do.
Be careful, there are a few in here that would hang you up for not speaking English in here old chap. If you’re wearing a brown shirt you might get away with it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Should've thought about the consequences back in 2016 when dealing with CMD, I think.
There was absolutely no reason for them to so. On the risk matrix (at the time) the potential economic impact of UK leaving the EU was almost certainly assessed as medium to high, but the probability was diminishingly small. On that basis there was no real need to put mitigation in place. There were much bigger matters in the top right hand quadrant of the matrix: Immigration, the ongoing recovery from the 2008 crash, the rise of populism and growing disharmony between EU nations.
Another thing that would have been impossible for the EU to predict was that it's faffing about and trying to bully May's largely Remain supporting government into an agreement wholly disadvantageous to the UK would result in May's removal, a GE and BoJo in with an 80 seat majority and the ability to get what legislation he likes through parliament.

The "Law of Unintended Consequences" strikes again.

I personally would like to thank the EU for creating the circumstances where we now have a government most likely to strike a post-Brexit deals advantageous to the UK.

Wordsmith

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/02/23/boris-johnson-piles-pressure-eus-brexit-time-wasters-kick-starting/

The EU may just find that 'time wasting' allows more nimble footed countries to sign trade deals with the UK while its faffing about convinced it has the whip hand in negotiations.

Which frankly is what I think will happen - the EU will procrastinate away and then find the world has moved on without it.

Wordsmith
Well there is a distinct possibility the US and EU might sign a mini trade deal by 18-3 of this year. I don’t think they are going to waste time at all. But wait you have me on ignore so this important point shall be missed.

Wordsmith
it’s in America’s interest to get a fast deal with the UK....
Trump is gearing up for a full scale trade war with EUrup

it’s in America’s interest to get a fast deal with the UK....
Trump is gearing up for a full scale trade war with EUrup
Bojo won’t meet Trump until June at the earliest, aside from five minutes of smiling “f*ck you’s nothing will happen. The chance of any FTA getting through Congress is zilch point shit at this point in time.

It appears the consensus is to avoid a trade war in light of the current world situation created by COVID-19.

From the BBC

It's set to be a big week for talks on a post-Brexit trade deal, with the UK and the EU expected to finalise their respective negotiating mandates.
From the Telegraph

Boris Johnson is set to kick start trade talks with the US within the next two weeks, amid frustration in Number 10 at EU “time wasting.”
Who is calling it correctly ?

I think Johnson has the EU in a nut shell and will prioritise the US.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From the BBC

From the Telegraph

Who is calling it correctly ?

I think Johnson has the EU in a nut shell and will prioritise the US.
Why can't both statements be more or less true? It is perfectly possible to run more than one set of trade negotiations alongside each other. Now that we are out of the EU who we do trade deals with has nothing to do with the EU, although they may be affected, that is not our problem.

Truxx

LE
Who do you think should pay when there is an accident on private property?
I dont think there is anything to see here.

Most household insurances already include significant 3rd party liability.

Virtually every event or gathering (including unit family events) have similar cover.

So this is the anti-eu lobby (project Big Bad Wolf) at work.

File 13.

Why can't both statements be more or less true? It is perfectly possible to run more than one set of trade negotiations alongside each other.
Whilst this is very true, and indeed, would be the sensible thing to do. I have a sneaking suspicion that the EU's red lines will be ridiculous and put the EU negotiations firmly in the pending tray.

I dont think there is anything to see here.

Most household insurances already include significant 3rd party liability.

Virtually every event or gathering (including unit family events) have similar cover.

So this is the anti-eu lobby (project Big Bad Wolf) at work.

File 13.
In the link the Motor Insurers' Bureau arent happy about having to pay out when a farmer ran someone over, so it sounds like there is a good reason for this rule.

Truxx

LE
In the link the Motor Insurers' Bureau arent happy about having to pay out when a farmer ran someone over, so it sounds like there is a good reason for this rule.
They are perfectly at liberty to sue for their losses.

But much easier to pass the costs onto the punters.

Higgs_bosun

On ROPS
On ROPs
As this government plan to spent a trillion quid without my personal permission....I must ask, who do we blame for the absolute spunk balls of failure now that the EU are not on the list?

Latest Threads