Brexit Endgame

daz

LE
It's tragic that Merthyr's losing 180 jobs.

But fear not chum, as the tables will still be filled as the natives of Merthyr revert to cannibalism.
Well, it's not like the natives of Merthyr worked there...... should be a few more passengers on the flight back to Warsaw's Frederic Chopin Airport shortly :)

This is a surprise. And no I'm sure its got nothing to do with brexit or the machinations of the last three years.
View attachment 451488
The Thais must have better trade deals with the rest of the world than we do, something that allows them to export motorcycles with little in the way of tariffs to the EU and US. Cant possibly that the average wage is a quarter of the UK and that infrastructure and energy costs are far less.

One fact that I struggle with, and it seems everyone else does too, is the changing nature of the world.

The auto industry began in the 1920s. By the 1970s it was booming. Different countries had different approaches. In the UK we allowed communist unions to take over. In Japan it was the pinnacle of the economic miracle. No union was going to interfere with the industry.

By the 80s the UK was consolidating, and desperately trying new models.

By the 90s small cars were all the rage.

a decade later it was all SUVs.

It is now 2020, and the car industry boom has ended. I haven't bought a car for 20 years. Ford have stopped manufacturing in Australia, as have Mitsubishi and Toyota, and Holden have ceased to exist.

The industry has changed. It will continue to shrink and factories will close.

Global passenger car sales fell to 80.6 million in 2018 from 81.8 million new units sold in 2017, which was the first annual decline since 2009, Fitch said. Worldwide sales in 2019 look likely to fall by another 4% to around 77.5 million new vehicle sales.
View attachment 451484
Falling demand in China, the world’s largest auto market, is a major factor in the worldwide decline this year. Sales there fell 11% during the first 10 months of this year compared with the same time last year.

The glorious days are over. And it has bugger all to do with brexit.
indeed, the era of mass car ownership has ended.
uberisation is the real future,

Exactly. Halfwits argued that the UK received more funding than it put in.

Welcome to the acid test. We are stopping putting money in - leading to chaos in the EU.

And that EU branded money will stop flowing into the UK. Except of course it never left. The EU took UK money, attached an EU sticker and told us to be grateful.

What suprises me is the number of remainers who cannot (or could not) understand this.

I suppose its an indication of poor education standards in the UK since it joined the EU.
on the PLUS side, Boris just landed a £60 Billion windfall he can spend on boosting UK Plc.

To help offset the R&D costs that are passed on to American consumers.
Not sure how thats going to work.
If you want to sell aspirin to us at five bucks per hundred thousand, but the Swiss can do it for four bucks, where do you think we'll go ?

It's not the R&D costs that are passed on, it's blatant profiteering by a corrupt system.

The question you should be asking is why won't the prices in the USA be reduced.
I will agree a big portion of it is profiteering and those folks do get it in the end. Why the hell do you think I work for a place that offers a Cadillac insurance plan? My wife's grandmother gets hosed every month for her prescriptions and I do clash with my fellow Murican's about the companies here and their greed.

But we are also trying to reduce the price of prescription drugs for own people and having all the countries who buy them chip in a bit more is helpful.

But if the UK agrees to pay a bit more for some, then I think a compromise can be made. Which keeps the NHS firmly in your control whilst paying a few more shekels for a few things and opening up some services to companies over here to bid on.

I will agree a big portion of it is profiteering and those folks do get it in the end. Why the hell do you think I work for a place that offers a Cadillac insurance plan? My wife's grandmother gets hosed every month for her prescriptions and I do clash with my fellow Murican's about the companies here and their greed.

But we are also trying to reduce the price of prescription drugs for own people and having all the countries who buy them chip in a bit more is helpful.

But if the UK agrees to pay a bit more for some, then I think a compromise can be made. Which keeps the NHS firmly in your control whilst paying a few more shekels for a few things and opening up some services to companies over here to bid on.

Summary for the hard of thinking:

Out of the top 3 companies, 1 (the third) is American
Out of the top 10 companies, 4 are American

Explain to me again why you think the USA is being ripped off?

translation.....

US drug firms want to price gouge non US purchasers as they are too frightened to challenge US insurance firms.

You really need to take off the Chairman Trump suit, put down the little red book and stop spouting the lies that big business rely on to keep all you little serfs in line in the "land of the free".

To the lowest bidder of course. But the wonder drugs are very expensive.
If the US is the sole source of drug X, then its pretty much what US pharma decides the price should be. If they are competing with similar drugs produced by others then the NHS will shop around. Heck, whoever runs your hospitals or clinics in the US would go through the same thing unless they are tied in.
I suspect what is being angled for is access to the NHS. We represent a potential market that the US feel they are excluded from. Now, if you guys come up with selling us similar drugs at lower than we can get them elsewhere but still maker a few dollars over it then thats a win win situation. US Pharma gets an additional revenue source, we get affordable drugs, the RD costs get spread further around. Correct me if Im wrong.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
If the US is the sole source of drug X, then its pretty much what US pharma decides the price should be. If they are competing with similar drugs produced by others then the NHS will shop around. Heck, whoever runs your hospitals or clinics in the US would go through the same thing unless they are tied in.
I suspect what is being angled for is access to the NHS. We represent a potential market that the US feel they are excluded from. Now, if you guys come up with selling us similar drugs at lower than we can get them elsewhere but still maker a few dollars over it then thats a win win situation. US Pharma gets an additional revenue source, we get affordable drugs, the RD costs get spread further around. Correct me if Im wrong.
You're wrong

Latest Threads